PDA

View Full Version : Transferring Data to MacBook Pro

kakadu
04-12-2006, 09:09 PM
Howdy..I wld like to install a new Hard Drive on my iMac G5..
What is the best way to transfer my data to my new drive without reinstalling the 10.4.4 all over again onto my new HD?
I have a SATA/IDE USB2 Adapter so that resolves one issue..
I read that Carbon Clone Copy is not the best as a Clone is not the same as an exact copy!!
What wld any one suggest then if that is the case..What other software is good to use?
Thanx

Kakadu

M.Brane
04-12-2006, 10:28 PM
Disk Utility Restore?

I've personally never had a problem that I could blame on CCC. My Unix skills are highly suspect though......... :D

unclemac
04-12-2006, 11:04 PM
Restore in 10.4 is fine, as is CCC since 10.4.2 and newer. NetRestore from bombich.com works great with local clones too.

After that there are at least a dozen utilities that can do that will cost you some $. SuperDuper gets good marks from most who use it.

FYI: For a rev1 or rev2 G5 imac you will nee a phillips screwdriver to crack the case plus you will need a small torx to get the drive swapped out of its frame. I would guess it is about a #10 or #8. Never cracked a rev3.

kakadu
04-14-2006, 07:41 AM
thanx for the info..

kakadu
04-27-2006, 07:02 PM
Howdy.
I recently purchased a new 320GB SATA HD..
I backed up all my files from my iMac G5 (PC) to the new HD..
I then tried to transfer some of the files to my MacBook Pro (Intel) Notebook..
I received an error message that it could not read the drive and it asked me if i wanted to initalize the drive???
I am using the drive with an external USB 2.0 combo adapter (IDE/SATA)..
Do they both have to be using the same OS ie 10.4.5 etc???
My main question is then how can i clone my iMac G5 (PC) and then transfer that clone onto my MacBook Pro (Intel)?
Pls see my previous post:
http://www.macgurus.com/forums/showthread.php?p=98307#post98307

Thanx

Kakadu
:confused:

unclemac
04-27-2006, 07:30 PM
All the new Intel Macs have a different format for drives than PPC Macs, so there is no way to clone an OS across hardware platforms. I asked an Apple engineer at MacWorld back in Jan. when the Intel imacs were being demoed and he confirmed this.

Should be no issue with data transfers.

kakadu
04-28-2006, 05:21 AM
but how do your transfer data? Using dvd's and cd's?

thanx

TZ
04-28-2006, 06:06 AM
One place that has some help on MacIntel. They also have software that is now native, works with Rosetta and more.
http://www.macintouch.com/readerreports/macsonintel/index.html

RBR
06-14-2006, 05:30 AM
Doesn't the Setup Assistant work with a MacTel?

Install the OS from the DVD. Setup Assistant should pull the apps and data over to the new drive from the selected drive if it can be read by the new drive. Once everything has been verified as being there and not corrupt a new backup could be made.

This way you have a clean OS installation with no leftovers from the old machine.

unclemac
06-14-2006, 08:52 AM
Was able to wrangle up a MBP at work rencently - woohoo! - and can confirm that manually transfering data with G4 powerbook and an G5 imac was a snap. No issues whatsoever.

I would certainly expect that the migration assistant would work too...as long as the FW drive or target drive Mac is visible to the MBP.

Jeff L.
07-13-2006, 03:29 AM
I used migration assistant to set up my MBP, coming from a Powerbook 12". I was unhappy with the performance of the new machine though. Having all those old programs and their helper files just bogged the thing down. I ended up doing a fresh install with the DVDs that came with the MBP. The first benefit I found was I could avoid some bulky files like localizations for every country on Earth, and drivers for every printer ever made (around 2 GB, IIRC!). I've got the space on my drive, but that's just FAT =(

Anyways, I then manually dragged-and-dropped things I wanted to keep from the old system (booting in target mode with firewire), and downloaded new Universal versions of applications I use.

Everything ran much faster. Plus it's just nice to put behind me for good all the little files and programs I never use anymore. Can you imagine a decade and 3 migrations down the road how much useless junk would be on your computer? It would be like moving to a new house, and taking all the messy piles of papers and stuff laying around your old house, and putting them just that way in the new place.

My MBP is a tidy (and fast!) house =)

Jeff

unclemac
07-13-2006, 10:35 AM
Agreed. Good to clean house.

Just ran the migration assistant as a test to move info from a G5 imac (that was preconfigured with multiple managed users and lots of configuration specifics) to a MacBook. Worked wonderfully. Got all the configs just fine, including network locations, Dock, Finder, and desktop prefs., etc. Very nice.