PDA

View Full Version : G4 MDD best set up

ftonelli
03-14-2006, 10:49 AM
Hello Everyone,

I have a G4 MDD 1.25Ghz dual processor with 1.5GB ram (512+512+256+256) and a 80HD (System) + 60HD (secondary system x repairs) on bus 100 and a 200HD (26GB first partition x scratch and 160GB partition x documents) on bus 66.

I am planning on following Rick's advice and buy a host card to run an Hitachi 250 HD.
But was wondering if getting also a second Hitachi HD and setting up a Raid 0 would be even better for me.
I work a lot with large (14Mpx) 16bit files (80Mb flat and over 200MB whit layers).

What do you think?
The other problem is: I donÍt know how to set up a raid system.
Do I have to buy any other hardware or software?

I was thinking about this system:

- My existing 200GB HD on bus 100 with = System + Users (No partitions)
- The two new Hitachi 250 on new host card with a RAID 0 = First partition may be 50GB x scratch and second partition about 200GB x all applications + documents

Any suggestions?

Is getting the second Hitachi + Raid worth it? Or should I just get one and set it up like this:

- Hitachi 250GB in host card = system + users
- 200GB on bus 100 = all applications + documents
- 80GB on bus 66 = scratch

By the way, in either cases I am also planning to max the RAM to 2GB.
Should I buy two 512 to replace the two 256 or just buy one 1Gb and replace 1?

Thank you for any advice you will provide.

Francesco Tonelli

TZ
03-14-2006, 11:18 AM
4 x 36GB WD Raptor 10K for RAID perhaps? 74GB if you can afford that.

You can't partition drives in a RAID unless you buy SoftRAID 3.3 ($149). And usually you want scratch RAID to be used for one purpose, and erase it before using again, and keep your data elsewhere. I would think that you really need a 'decent' RAID using 4 drives, or 2 WD Raptors. I don't see any reason to put applications anywhere but on the boot drive.

If I was going to buy one SATA drive, and then gradually grow my system, it would be a Raptor. For system. For scratch.

The 250GB T7K250 Hitachi is a nice 7.2K drive. But it is not a Raptor or ideal by itself for scratch. And it is 8MB cache, not 16MB as some other drives like 150GB Raptor or 250/300GB Maxtor.

ftonelli
03-14-2006, 11:32 AM
4 x 36GB WD Raptor 10K for RAID perhaps? 74GB if you can afford that.

Thanks TZ.

I only saw the 74GB raptor for sale on MacGurus @ $212.
Do you know where to look for the 36GB and how much they cost?

If I understand correctly what you suggest would be something like this:

- 74Gb raptor on host card = system + applications - no partitions
- 2 36GB raptors (on ata 100?) on raid0 = scratch
- my current 200BG on ata 66 = documents

What would I need to set up a raid0?

I am trying to maximize my system while being on a budget, so I am not looking for the ultimate solution at all costs but for the best solution within reason. In one year ideally I would upgrade to a new intel based powermac.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thank you,

Francesco

TZ
03-14-2006, 01:19 PM
There are a lot of links to FAQs on RAID and some reviews (AMUG) on SATA host controllers have excellent How-To documentation to use Apple Disk Utility. I suggest you try there. And definitely print out and get a handle on PS CS2 ideas for performance.

The 36GB Raptor is slower than its two siblings and was more of an engineering beta three yrs ago, hasn't gotten the updates, but a nice small drive that some still find useful for scratch or boot drive. WD 36GB Raptor $104 (http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=101221)

It depends on how much work you do, whether you are cpu bound, memory bound, and when disk I/O becomes a factor. That is why the Photoshop Benchmark test utility is so helpful.

You might want to just get one Raptor 74GB and try it out. Later add a 2nd for a single drive scratch disk. $212 each.

You could boot from stripped RAID and use that as startup disk as well as default scratch location, and keep your documents and everything else other than OS/Appls on 200GB drive. - Ask or wait for someone else with experience in CS2 or audio/video to check in and respond.

As long as you have backups, and an OS is easy to restore, a RAID can work. Older system, the more you can help make up for low memory etc.

Those Raptors will last and do you well now and for two years to come.

Be aware that there is a new revision of the 150GB Raptor also now that they've been out a couple months (always want to skip the first revision of anything usually) - and the price on those has jumped back up - higher even than when the original units shipped ($339 on ZZF). The nice thing about the 150GB Raptor is 16MB cache, 90MB/sec writes (nearly 45% of what MDD can max which is 225). That may seem like a lot for one drive. But 2 x 74GB would be $440+.

I have no idea how much of a strain on your system it now is to work with files you do, large (14Mpx) 16bit files (80MB flat and over 200MB with layers). Which is why I would consider selling your system or whatever, and look for PCI-X or something

Refurbished Power Mac G5
DUAL 2GHz/ 512MB/ 160GB/ SuperDrive/ PCI-X/ GeFr5200/ GigE/ 56K Apple Store Specials (http://store.apple.com/) Original price: $2,499.00, Your price: $1,449.00

Estimated Ship:
1-2 business days
It is a shame that PCI models only support 4GB RAM and poor PCI disk writes, but there is a dual 1.8 for $1300.

When I hear MacIntel Pro, I think it is safe to say that 2nd revision model will be more than a year from now.

ftonelli
03-15-2006, 07:19 AM
I have no idea how much of a strain on your system it now is to work with files you do, large (14Mpx) 16bit files (80MB flat and over 200MB with layers). Which is why I would consider selling your system or whatever, and look for PCI-X or something

Refurbished Power Mac G5 [indent]DUAL 2GHz/ 512MB/ 160GB/ SuperDrive/ PCI-X/ GeFr5200/ GigE/ 56K Apple Store Specials (http://store.apple.com/) Original price: $2,499.00, Your price: $1,449.00.

Thank you again TZ for all this info.
The G5 for 1449 is tempting and might make more sense than upgrading my G4.

I have requested a quote to PowerMax.com
Can anyone recommend any other good source to sell my G4?

In the mean time, as soon as I have a chance I will try to run the Pshop Test on my machine and see what I get.

Thank you again, and hopefully, if I get a good quote, I'll get back to read on the best way to set up a G5 ;-)

Best,
Francesco

ftonelli
03-31-2006, 08:20 AM
Hi Guys,

I am a photographer and use a G4 MDD FW800 Dual 1.25Ghz with Photoshop CS2.

I just ordered two new SATA drives:
1 raptor 74GB 10,000RPM
1 Hitachi 250GB 7200RPM
+
Seritek/1S2 SATA host card

I have considered TZ suggestion to buy a new G5 but I cannot afford it yet and I figured that these drive can be used on the new G5 once I will be able to buy it, so they are not wasted money on the old G4.

First question is should I use one drive with the host card and the other with the G4 BUS100 or are they faster if I connect them both on the host card?

I am planning to set them up as follows:
raptor: start up/OS
hitachi: users/applications/documents

For the cache, I could dedicate an old 200GB (that I took out of an external FW400 LaCie enclosure) on the G4 66BUS
OR
I could point the cache to the raptor.

What do you guys say?
Any other reccommendation?

Lastly, I posted a question on the SATA HD forum regarding the possibility of setting up my long term photo archive on external SATAs instead of what I am doing now which is external FW800 LaCie 500GB.

Any help on that would also be appreciated.

Thank you,

Francesco