PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Photoshop won't open anymore

ftonelli
03-09-2006, 12:00 PM
Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum. I have found out about this site by Andy Batt in the D-65 forum (a group of photographer who took workshops from Seth Resnick. Great guy!) and so is Andy.

After speaking with Rick on the phone today, he advised that I would post a question on this forum.

Here is how the problem started:

I have checked the information in macguru.com and
tryied to imrpove the performance in CS2.

I have partitioned an internal 200GB (on bus 66) to a 26GB called "HD Scratch" to use as scratch
disk only, and a 160GB called "HD Storage" to be used x all my documents and storage.

I renamed my original 80GB start up HD (on bus 100) to HD System and dedicated it to the
system only.

Then I cleaned up old stuff, used Disk warrior to defragment. Repaired permissions.

Everything works great, except, after I assigned the new scratch disks in Photoshop preferences, and quit photoshop, it did not want to restart afterwards.

When I launch it it starts but before the launch is completed it gives me an error that says:

"could not initialize photoshop beacuse the disk is not available."

I have tried to re-install photoshop from it's original disk, but it does not allow me to. An error after the search for available drives, says that that a certain file could not be found.

I then tried to reset the preferences and it worked. Photoshop launched successfully and I re-imported all preferences, including the new scratch disks. Then I quit. And now, it wont open again. Same error as before.

Note that other CS applications such as Bridge and InDesign, open and work without problems.

Can anyone help please?

Thank you,

Francesco Tonelli

kaye
03-09-2006, 12:23 PM
Welcome to the MacGurus Forums. Try this:
Do a Get Info on the scratch volume. Near the bottom of the info window should be Ownership and Permissions. You may have to single click the arrow to point down. There should be a dialog Ignore ownership on this volume with a check box in front of the dialog. Check that box. Let us know if that does it. k

ftonelli
03-09-2006, 12:28 PM
Hi Everyone,

I was a bit to eager to post my question.
Only after posting I started to read the past posts in the forum.

Incerdibly I found out that Maverick (God Bless Him!) had the same problem.

I read through and then tried to check the "ignore ownership in this volume" box on the 26Gb Partition on the 200GB HD.

Now photoshop opens!

I don't know if I will encounter problems, as I have not tested it yet, but it sure feels good to see it open.

So, please forgive me for posting without checking before.

A big Thank you to Maverick and all those who contributed in that thread.

I might read more, before posting a question on how to maximize the performance (without spending a fortune) on my Dual G4.
Rick mentioned buying a host card and a new Hitachi 250GB SATA drive.
Then partition that to 75GB for system and the rest for back-up
Use my 200GB in the bus 100 for my data.
Use the 80GB and 60GB in the bus 66 for scratch and back-ups.

Thank you again and it is nice to be part of this new forum.

Ciao,

Francesco

ftonelli
03-09-2006, 12:30 PM
I posted before reading your reply.

It does work!

THANK YOU,

Francesco

TZ
03-09-2006, 12:55 PM
I might read more, before posting a question on how to maximize the performance (without spending a fortune) on my Dual G4.
Rick mentioned buying a host card and a new Hitachi 250GB SATA drive.
Then partition that to 75GB for system and the rest for back-up
Use my 200GB in the bus 100 for my data.
Use the 80GB and 60GB in the bus 66 for scratch and back-ups.

Even without getting into SATA your MDD can handle some good PATA drives. But for the largest impact on performance, yes, SATA and with that I would look at WD Raptor for boot drive, and dedicated scratch drive. To have a RAID for scratch, you must use a controller, and might want the best PATA drive possible for your boot drive.

Only you know how much scratch space you need, but a larger and dedicated drive would by guess. Also, the OEM 80GB drive on ATA/100 you have... I would seriously look to use it for archive only (internal, or FW case) and not use that for anything.

Check out FAQs for SATA/PATA and for "Ultimate Boot Drive" and check out www.barefeats.com benchmark results.

ftonelli
03-09-2006, 01:09 PM
Even without getting into SATA your MDD can handle some good PATA drives. But for the largest impact on performance, yes, SATA and with that I would look at WD Raptor for boot drive, and dedicated scratch drive. To have a RAID for scratch, you must use a controller, and might want the best PATA drive possible for your boot drive.

Only you know how much scratch space you need, but a larger and dedicated drive would by guess. Also, the OEM 80GB drive on ATA/100 you have... I would seriously look to use it for archive only (internal, or FW case) and not use that for anything.

Check out FAQs for SATA/PATA and for "Ultimate Boot Drive" and check out www.barefeats.com benchmark results.

Thank you TZ.

I will check out FAQs for SATA/PATA.

Just to understand, in order to set up a RAID for scratch, beside buying the host card with one SATA to use as startup and system, I would need to buy two more HD, is that correct? Would the increase in performance in your opinion justify the investment in a G4 machine?

Best,

Francesco

TZ
03-09-2006, 01:22 PM
one SATA to use as startup and system, I would need to buy two more HD You have room internallly for four drives. Many use external drives for scratch. The only real cost is the controller. A 2+2 controller perhaps? (System and startup? the boot drive has OS and apps and should be ~60GB).

A Maxtor 300GB ATA drive would do fine, too.

There are some long indepth tips on how to optimize CS2 (work disk/scratch disk, or using boot drive). However, for the serious speed and performance, your best choice is to invest in dual or quad G5 or wait 18 months for next Pro workstation - and upgrade to 8GB RAM.

No matter what drives you invest (SATA) they will still work and help tomorrow.

ftonelli
03-09-2006, 01:32 PM
You have room internallly for four drives. Many use external drivess ofr scratch. The only real cost is the controller.

A Maxtor 300GB ATA drive would do fine, too.

There are some long indepth tips on how to optimize CS2 (work disk/scratch disk, or using boot drive). However, for the serious speed and performance, your best choice is to invest in dual or quad G5 or wait 18 months for next Pro workstation - and upgrade to 8GB RAM.

No matter what drives you invest (SATA) they will still work and help tomorrow.

That sounds like great advice.
I am probably better off with one SATA for now and wait a year or so for replacing my G4 with "the new thing".

Thank you TZ

Francesco