PDA

View Full Version : Software for backing up files?

speters1
03-01-2006, 06:45 PM
I am using the work/scrtach method with 6x36gb 15k.3's and I was wondering what would be some good software that could back up my working files everything 3 0min or so? It would be nice if it would only need to back up new files instead of just backing up everything.

rwm
03-01-2006, 07:35 PM
Start with a peek right here. (http://www.macgurus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18751&highlight=backup) ;) and post back with questions if you need. It is long because as software changes the thread gets modified. - Randy

unclemac
03-01-2006, 07:52 PM
We kick around alot about backup software these days.... Randy's link is the most complete, although there are always individual threads with more detail about specific things. As he said, it is long because it is a running thread, with the most recent entries at the end.

Anyway, what you need is what is ususally refered to as an incremental backup. Retrospect is one of several that does incrementals. You might go to versiontracker.com and do a search for "incremental". should be a couple others out there. One thing to keep in mind though: there is no consumer software (that I am aware of) that will do constant incrementals on an open file, so anything you have open will not be backed up.

ricks
03-02-2006, 10:15 AM
Any backup utility will only backup what is new since the last backup. Incremental is not necessarily descriptive of what you asked.

Incremental is a process where on a regular basis, say every 2 weeks you do a full backup and archive. Then on a shorter time schedule you do incremental backups that are independent of the full archive and only contain the data added since the full backup. To use an incremental archival backup you must go back and add in all the incrementals to the last full backup. Retrospect is the gold standard of incremental archival backups.

Most other backup utilities copy your total files the first time and from then on each update brings the backup disk up to match the main database. The weakness of this system is that if you trash a file and run the backup you will trash the file on the backup to match and it is now gone. With the incremental system you always have past history stored where you can recover files by going back in time.

Advantage of the backup system that just maintains a matched backup is the simplicity. Set it up with 2 equal drives and it will be able to backup with almost no administrative time. Incrementals require lots more space and administrative labors.

We use SyncronizeProX (www.qdea.com) to do all our backups here at MacGurus. I like its ease of use. On any schedule it will keep a matched backup. Very fast and only copies (and deletes) files that have changed since the last backup run. Saved my bacon more than once.

Rick