PDA

View Full Version : Aparent Photoshop Slowdown

PaulR
02-20-2006, 12:13 AM
Hi,
I'm trying to get to the bottom of an annoying slowdown in photoshop cs2. I notice it only during one operation: clone stamping. I use the stamp a lot to remove dust spots from high res photo scans. All of a sudden everything happens in slow motion ... it takes several seconds for the computer to catch up to my every move.

On the same machine with similarly sized files it used to be instantaneous. I even upgraded the RAM from 1.75 gigs to 2, and did some speedup tweaks (like enabling the large tiles plugin), but to no avail. The only other apps that are running are the kind I have on all the time ... mail, safari, address book, calculator, ical.

I've restarted, repaired permissions, etc. etc.

the files in question are 100 to 500 gigabytes (including all layers, channels etc.). The computer is a gigabit ethernet g4 with a pair of 500mhz processors, 2 gigs of ram, a 200 gigabyte seagate barracuda mine drive and a 20 gig seagate scratch disk.

any thoughts on where to look for a cause?

wolfpweb
02-20-2006, 07:55 AM
Hm, 'voodoo science'..?

I gave away my GigE because it was too sluggish for larger files in the Shop, even after installing a faster CPU. After all, in that model G4, one is limited by the slow PC100 and by the max of 1.5 gigs of such. Now, even if U found a way of applying 2 GB of Ram in Ur computer, for the kind of file sizes U indicated, U shouldn't expect any miracles but rather very slow execution in some apps.

Not much anyone can help U with here, I'm afraid...

TZ
02-20-2006, 08:37 AM
Hi,
I'm trying to get to the bottom of an annoying slowdown in photoshop cs2. I notice it only during one operation: clone stamping. I use the stamp a lot to remove dust spots from high res photo scans. All of a sudden everything happens in slow motion ... it takes several seconds for the computer to catch up to my every move.

On the same machine with similarly sized files it used to be instantaneous. I even upgraded the RAM from 1.75 gigs to 2, and did some speedup tweaks (like enabling the large tiles plugin), but to no avail. The only other apps that are running are the kind I have on all the time ... mail, safari, address book, calculator, ical.

I've restarted, repaired permissions, etc. etc.

the files in question are 100 to 500 gigabytes (including all layers, channels etc.). The computer is a gigabit ethernet g4 with a pair of 500mhz processors, 2 gigs of ram, a 200 gigabyte seagate barracuda mine drive and a 20 gig seagate scratch disk.

any thoughts on where to look for a cause?

I am 'confused' by some of the numbers.

100-500GB files.
20GB scratch.

I would opt for 10K Raptor boot drive and for scratch (say 3) RAID.
A 500GB Hitachi data drive.

Dual 1.8 or something.

Time to get G5 DP with 8GB RAM and PCI-X or PCIe.

Boots
02-20-2006, 10:24 AM
All of a sudden everything happens in slow motion ... it takes several seconds for the computer to catch up to my every move.

This is a widely-reported problem (http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@529.Wq9VfARaZkL.28@.3bbca516/0) with CS2 since October of last year. It affects some users but not all. It initially was reported mostly on G5s but since has been also widely reported on G4s.

Some corrective actions that have worked for some users:

1. Clean install of the system rather than an upgrade install.

2. Trash PSCS2 prefs, repair permissions, boot from installer cd or another system drive and repair disk from Disk Utility, then run Diskwarrior.

3. Use stamp tool on just one layer or merge layers but leave 'sample all layers' un-checked.

PaulR
02-20-2006, 10:44 AM
thanks ... I'll try trashing prefs and running disk warrior. everything else i've done, including the archive and install of tiger.

i know this isn't a fast machine by today's standards, but what i'm investigating is a major slowdown on the same machine! so something odd has happened. a week ago the thing was plenty fast for my purposes.

Boots
02-20-2006, 10:59 AM
a week ago the thing was plenty fast for my purposes.

Have you added or changed any software or hardware since then?

TZ
02-20-2006, 04:24 PM
Archive/Install isn't really 'clean' install which is much preferred (including in some cases a good time to also Erase with Zero-All).

I still think your drives are very much on the slow end of the spectrum, even more so for what you use your system for. Regardless of how it seemed to perform. Just ask anyone who has upgraded to 10K Raptor as to how it runs. Also, you want high density drive with 16MB cache.

And, never ever load a drive to more than 65%, even less for boot volume. And don't use the boot drive generally for scratch.

PaulR
02-20-2006, 05:29 PM
I still think your drives are very much on the slow end of the spectrum, even more so for what you use your system for.

i just looked at my original post ... that should be 100 to 500 MEGAbyte files, not gigabyte. an innocent, several orders of magnitude typo.

maybe this is why you seem to think i'm crazy? ;)

before this slowdown, i found the performance of the system to be pretty good. i'm not in a high-volume production environment ... i'm a photographer using the system to work on one or two very high quality prints a day. so saving a minute here or a minute there isn't worth a huge equipment investment.

i'm trying to remember what changes, if any, i've made lately. i'll let you know if trashing prefs and rebuilding the directory with disk warrior solves the problem.

PaulR
02-20-2006, 09:17 PM
trashing prefs / running disk warrior solved it. everything's humming along now.

thanks again for all the help.

TZ
02-21-2006, 08:25 AM
I figured it was a typo, but I do recommend (when you need to) looking at other drives. And your scratch disk/raid can make a huge difference to compensate for 2GB RAM.

What I would do is learn to boot into single user mode (command S) on startup and run fsck to repair anytime you have any doubt or do a hard restart. Then install Applejack and use that to check permissions, preferences, remove cache files (often source of trouble and corruption) as well as to remove all the swap files.

speters1
02-25-2006, 05:23 PM
I read that some people that had this same issue solved it by making sure that they moved the smallest ram to the outside slots.

wolfpweb
02-26-2006, 10:06 AM
Funny U would mention the "outside slots" for Ram...

On my MDD, which is still in for repair, the extreme slot -J20- wasn't recognizing any of my 4 512mb Crucials... Oddly enough it would read the OEM 256'... That alone would indicate a "sick" mobo, I was informed.

To be contd.