View Full Version : Timing on CPU purchase

01-21-2006, 12:24 PM
I'm using a G5 Dual 2.5, 4 Gigs RAM, to run photoshop, Aperture (to the extent it's useful) some FCP, imageprint. Things could be faster. I'm wondering whether to order a Quad now, knowing it will run my apps (and hoping SATA cards will come soon) or waiting for the new ones with Intel (which I figure will actually ship in 12 months). Do I protect myself by getting the fastest now (my usual upgrade cycle is 18 months to 2 years), and knowing it should be usable for non-graphic apps for 3 years? Do I wait?

With 8 Gigs of RAM, maybe a 150GB Raptor boot, and external SATA, the quad should be pretty decent. Opinions?

01-21-2006, 03:59 PM
There may be a lag in getting everything upgraded after the tower intel units ship. Right now, none of the systems have PCI anything. So work on drivers and such will have to wait probably until developers have their hands on units at least. Along with software. And even then, I'd wait 3-6 months for some rev 2 errata fixes.

I think waiting is a losing game. Depends on how desperate and what your needs are.

You should for now, anyway, consider adding 4GB RAM, maybe add or upgrade your RAID and basic drives. Even run your system from a RAID of 150GB Raptors (that will carry forward).

Take a look at the PShop FAQ and benchmark test.

01-21-2006, 04:54 PM
That's good advice.

I on the other hand, being very poor, would probably wait to see what the first G6s (or whatever they are called), and then decide. Could be a mild update, could be a whole new box. Not even any rumors about them yet.

All we do know is that they will be out before the end of 2006. Mr. Jobs was pretty clear about that recently. And since he said that all products will be migrated to Intel by the end of this year, I predict - you heard it here first!! - that the new tower Intelintoshes will arrive about Oct-Nov. So even if you wait for a rev B, that will be late winter/early spring next year. I would hope by then that most software plus storage devices will be well on their way to being converted and updated.

This is all just WAG.

All this is only worth considering if you can hang in there with what you have for 12 - 18 months. If not, hello quad.

01-21-2006, 06:19 PM
A Quad - just amazing - I can't imagine. Heck, I'll be thrilled and be :D and :dance: ing when I get my Dual Giga back up and running in this DA I am waiting for. But I am not doing much to "stress" it either. Good Luck - Randy

01-26-2006, 07:14 PM
I am also wondering about getting one of the new Quads. Right now I am using a G5 Dual 2ghz, 6g ram, Raptor for my startup disc, ATTO UL4D with 4 x 36g Cheetah 15K.3 in a RAID O for scratch and 2 x 36g Atlas 15K II for my working files.
I make my money as a retoucher, so I am using Photoshop every day. I often work on files that are around 1g and can even get up to 2g. So for me speed is very important. I am considering getting one of the Quads, but I am wondering how much faster they really are? I know that I would have to get a new scsi card. Is the PCI Express any faster that PCI X?

01-30-2006, 01:27 PM
Check out http://www.barefeats.com. They have several articles benchmarking Quad vs. Dual Core. You'd be amazed that the Quads don't run that much faster. This is because the rest of the hardware system and applications have yet to take advantage of the 4 processors.

01-31-2006, 05:33 PM
Looks to me that Bare Feats, in a later report, do say that PS runs faster on a Quad. Tough to tell which filters use multi processors and which don't.

02-05-2006, 02:08 PM
I wondering if the new Quads would speed up screen redraw? When I am working on a file that's around 1.5-2 gigs, with alot of layers, it will sometimes redraw very slow. Heck, you don't even need a file that big if you have alot of layers and smart objects. I have a file I am working on right now, that when flattened is only 323mg, but the scratch size is 6.7gb. It's got may 6-8 smart objects, and sometimes I can just sit and watch it redraw big chunks. I have my cache set to 6, history at 20, and memory set to 75%.

02-05-2006, 05:17 PM
Adobe recently said that Universal Binaries of its applications will not arrive until the next major release of its applications, which could be almost a year away, if not later. - ThinkSecret

Quad: it seems that it is still early in the game. Some work needs to be done to see improvements in drivers for PCIe probably. But at least you have the best possible system and can avoid being on the ground floor of the switch to Intel and not feel like you have to rely on first revision that Adobe offers (it can take months to find and fix bugs once an application gets real field testing).

If you go Quad, your UL4D needs to be sold, traded, upgraded to UL5D, or whatever you use for SATA RAID (and the 150GB Raptor looks promising). So there are possibly some additional costs and issues to consider as well.

But the Quad offers the 16GB memory we were promised for the older G5s that never materialized.

But just my 2