PDA

View Full Version : iMovie video artifacts due to HD fragmentation?

bif
01-17-2006, 11:46 AM
I recently tried to edit some video in iMovie HD using my Al PB G4 15 with it's 5400 rpm toshiba 80 GB internal drive. This is an Apple replacement HD and was about half full. The imported file had all sorts of artifacts, from totally unrecognizeable to slightly and very pixelated. I also tested this same file, from the back up external FW HD, on my desktop machine, B&W G4 with LVD boot drive and 60 GB IDE bus scratch drive. It was fine.
I am wondering if the powerbooks HD was too fragmented and what I can do about it. If I partition the drive, meaning I have to reinstall everything, when further fragmentation occurs in the future will I be able to somehow clean it up without reformating and reinstalling everything?
What would my best course of action be, other than buying a FW 800 external and working from that, although that has crossed my mind.

kaye
01-17-2006, 12:19 PM
To defragment I used to use Drive Genius by Prosoft Engineering but SoftRAID formatted drives after a certain version stopped working with it. Since then I discovered iDefrag by Coriolis and it will defrag anything I have tried. Full Defrag takes a long time but it does a marvelous job, much better than Drive Genius. Reason I say that is Drive Genius smashes everything together.

For a drive/volume with MacOSX on it, iDefrag does this:
1. After Allocation files creates freespace.
2. After Extents files creates freespace.
3. After Catalog files creates large freespace.
4. After iTunes/iPhoto files creates freespace.
5. After More caches creates freespace.
6. After .journal creates freespace.
7. Plus it orders all of the files the way Apple wants them.

My take anyway. I can give you the relatively complete order of files if you want. After adding about a 58GB X-Plane to my boot 300GB MaxLine III-16MB cache drive, I think iDefrag took about 3-4 hours for the 94GB total. Don't know for sure because I went to bed. It won't allow my monitor to go to sleep even tho I have it set to sleep after 20 minutes until it is completely done. Works 10.4.4 too.

I run DW first normally but this time did not. But ran DW afterwards and it found nothing to complain about. k

TZ
01-17-2006, 01:09 PM
I find that a backup/erase/restore is about the safest and fastest. FW400 would be faster than your PB's hard drive - maybe add an add'l FW drive for projects?

bif
01-18-2006, 04:24 AM
I find that a backup/erase/restore is about the safest and fastest. FW400 would be faster than your PB's hard drive - maybe add an add'l FW drive for projects?
So, TZ, you are saying that working from an external FW drive would be faster than having the files on the free space of my hard drive? I really dont have a tough time believing this as my experience with powerbooks over the years vs desktop machines bears out that they are much slower for a given MHz, and 5400 rpm vs 7200 rpm in hard drive speed alone.
That being said, I would look to FW 800 rather than 400, if I can swing it.
Kaye, I have never heard of iDefrag but will look into it.
Thanks.