PDA

View Full Version : X-Plane 8,9

kaye
01-14-2006, 03:19 PM
If you have been following my sticky thread in the G5 Forum, you know that including all of the worldwide scenery, this can be huge, about a 58GB folder.

These screenshots are dumbed down for the web which causes the streaking in the sky, water, and runway. The actual game views are great. Today started with an SFO ILS28R approach from outside the Outer Marker flying with trackball and keyboard, B747-400:
Pic of ILS28R, just about at the Outer Marker which is at the San Mateo bridge.
http://homepage.mac.com/kaye_yum/.Public/SFOom.gif
500 feet, 28R ahead.
http://homepage.mac.com/kaye_yum/.Public/500feet.gif
200 feet, the 3 white and 1 red lights on the left of the runway indicate glide slope and are correct for a heavy. 2 white would be correct for a narrow body aircraft.
http://homepage.mac.com/kaye_yum/.Public/200feet.gif
Whew, stopped on the runway in position to taxi off.
http://homepage.mac.com/kaye_yum/.Public/stopped.gif
Another view. Rescue balloon in the background.
http://homepage.mac.com/kaye_yum/.Public/stopped2.gif
k

kaye
01-14-2006, 06:06 PM
Touchdown SFO 28R with tire smoke
http://homepage.mac.com/kaye_yum/.Public/Touchdown28R.jpg
k

kaye
01-15-2006, 06:42 PM
I wanted to download the X-Plane 8.30 Beta v10. Currently running 8.21. May new features between those two versions and some speed increases in launch time as well as higher frame rates.

First download the Installer Macintosh 108 Beta, an 11MB app. Launch it and it provides 4 servers to pick from for the 8.30 beta 10 download. Chose one and it started at 12KB/s for the 511.5MB download with over 2 hours left to install with 2 simultaneous streams. Very slowly increased to 39KB/s On the fly you can change primary servers, does not start over, and it will continue. As I changed server, it continued at 39KB/s and 2 streams. After about a minute it switched to 4 streams and rapidly increased to 100KB/s. Later increase to 115 to 119KB/s. 119 was the max I saw and was what the download ended at.

So now I have another folder, 518.5MB, for the beta.

Now about the 8.21 scenery bells and whistles preferences. I cranked up most of the possible selections to much higher but not highest. Of them all, anti-alias level - 4x hardcore seems to be the most demanding (prefs comment, can put a HUGE workload on your graphics card). At the bottom of the prefs window, my X800XT is identified with this comment - VRAM used at these settings 216.4MB.

That is getting close to the 256MB of the card. SFO 28R ILS with daylight clear conditions at these settings is about 40fps. k

kaye
01-16-2006, 12:58 PM
I don't like using the original XPLANE8 DL DVD (7.0GB) in order to run the app so I just finished using Toast Titanium v6.1.1 to do a disc to disc DL copy which has both Mac and PC versions on it. My blank was a Verbatim 8.5GB DVD+R DL 2.4X speed write. Burned, verified, and works just great. k

kaye
01-16-2006, 11:37 PM
The same settings that gave me 40fps daylight SFO ILS 28R taking up 216.4MB VRAM, at night I got a warning message that I had exceeded the VRAM and the app was reducing somewhat my scenery settings. After the warning I checked the prefs and it showed 246+MB. And the fps varied from 18-25 during the remainder of the approach. I have the minimum set for 15fps. Fog would occur below that but I have yet to see any.

I think an AGP card with 512MB would allow max scenery pref settings or very close to it. k

kaye
01-17-2006, 08:41 AM
There are various other websites for adding other aircraft to X-Plane tho it already has a lot. I was looking for a B767-300 so went here http://www.x-plane.org/registry/1_Aircraft.shtml and found one free. Not all are free and not all work with v8 of X-Plane.

Another site for scenery additions is http://www.x-scenery.com/ and again some free, some not, and must be compatible with v8. I downloaded the Golden Gate Bridge, Chicago Sears Tower, the "Encounter" restaurant at Los Angeles Airport, and the Seattle Space Needle. All are much more detailed than the X-Plane v8 scenery and the X-Plane author encourages the work.

Sometimes the aircraft or scenery are built for a certain version of v8 and may or may not work with 8.21. Just have to try and see. k

kaye
01-21-2006, 08:30 AM
Yesterday I used the beta installer for 8.30 RC3 update which the author just calls 8.30 since he believes it to be the final RC. This time instead of creating a separate folder, trashed the separate RC2 folder, I just pointed the installer app to the 8.21 folder. The app spent less than a minute deciding what it needed to install for the update and then began the 4 streams download and updated everything to 8.30. Very slick and fast. Last night I ran it positioned for a SFO 28R ILS approach outside the Outer Marker and positioned for a visual approach from just above 1000 feet MSL.

The visual approach is VERY busy because you gotta get everything configured, gear and flaps down, slowed way down, and get down to the runway and land without blowing a tire. The 747-400 autobrakes still seem too sensitive even with autobrakes set to minimum selection and will almost always cause a tire to blow so I've been landing with autobrakes disarmed and then manually apply them after reverse thrust. Seems to me autobrakes are being applied just a tad too early in the touchdown/rollout phase. All these with keyboard commands or with cursor moving the actual item on the panels.

But the huge number of improvements in 8.30 are much better than 8.21 both visually outside and how the simulator does fly. Of course a G5, Tiger, and a fast OpenGL video card with lots of VRAM brings it all together. k

kaye
02-13-2006, 10:31 AM
I am up to v8.32 now and it runs quite well. There is a beta-1 out for 8.40 but I'm going to wait on that. It boasts several new features, the main one being it works very speedy on Intel Macs. k

kaye
02-25-2006, 02:24 PM
X-Plane is going thru betas of v8.40 so I downloaded X-Plane 840 Beta-2. v8.32 was 5.4MB. v8.40 Beta-2 is 12MB and get Info Kind: is now Application (Universal). Last night I ran the beta on approaches to SFO 28R and the scenery cranked up more than before is breathtaking at 20-21fps. This morning in daylight, 22-24fps. Both times the app sez I am using 237 of 256MB available on the X800XT.

My X-Plane folder is still about 58GB even tho I have both v8.32 and the v8.40 Beta-2 installed as well as both versions of the other apps, Airfoil-Maker, Briefer, Plane-Maker, and World-Maker. k

kaye
03-09-2006, 11:52 AM
One thing I got a kick out of in Beta-2 was this fix:
The "drop anchor" function on the seaplanes where you drop anchor by hitting (OR LEAVING ON) the brakes is now GONE. Nobody understood it. Everybody kept dropping anchor and then wondering why they could not move their seaplanes, and the planes pulled to the side as if... as if... AS IF THEY WERE DRAGGING AN ANCHOR FROM THE FRIGGING NOSE!
This feature was nothing but trouble. It's now GONE.
k

kaye
03-17-2006, 02:37 PM
I'm on beta-5 now. Working good. Someone on the Xplane Tech Forum (I receive emails everytime there are 25 entries) asked about locations of long runways 20,000 feet or more. What got my attention was that someone mentioned Area 51/Groom Lake, NV being in Xplane and sure enough. So I went over there and shot an approach to 31L which is currently 27,000 feet long. Here is a screenshot at 1000' above the airport which is at 4612' MSL.http://homepage.mac.com/kaye_yum/.Public/Area51rw31L.jpg
The shot shows the blue lights of taxiways and aprons.

I taxied around to see if there were any buildings depicted, none. but I suppose they would have to kill me if there were. This is what does show
http://homepage.mac.com/kaye_yum/.Public/Area51diagram.jpg
k

kaye
03-28-2006, 04:49 PM
My GigaMDD G4 with 9800 Pro ME 128MB, I installed Xplane, just the application and US scenery only on my 10.4.5 boot disk and updated Xplane to 8.40 beta-6. The folder is about 9.4GB. The bells and whistles scenery were left at default as was resolution at 1024x768 (my G5 I run at 1600x1200 Xplane window). At this setting, Xplane was running 27+ fps and about 10+ nautical miles visibility, foggy beyond that. It was using 77.28MB of the 9800's 128MB.

I cranked up number of objects to the next setting, a lot (trees, buildings, etc), and widened the field of view from 70 to 100 degrees giving me 30 more degrees on the left side and using up to 108+MB of 128MB at about 22+ fps and 10+ miles. Trying to go beyond those two, Xplane complained and pushed back some settings.

Good scenery if somewhat muddied, definitely flyable but a 256MB 9800 would make a world of difference. k

kaye
04-19-2006, 07:39 PM
On my G5, one of the last betas before the current final v8.40, had a very strange cockpit, like being in a helo with a B747 panel. Took more from the 256MB of the X800XT ME too and therefore fogged the distance. Here is what it looked like at about 7nm from the end of the runway dumbed down for the web:
http://homepage.mac.com/kaye_yum/.Public/Helo-747.3.jpg
k

kaye
04-21-2006, 10:19 AM
From Austin the owner and programmer:

PS:

A FASCINATING NOTE:
We have run X-Plane 8.40 on BOTH MAC-OS AND WINDOWS VERSIONS on the
SAME computer thanks to the new Macintosh's ability to run Windows...
care to guess which version ran faster?

The MAC version running on Mac OS-X ran about 10% to 15% FASTER than
the Windows version on the same computer.

This clearly indicates that the MacOS (combined with the compiler used
to generate the Mac version) is more efficient and speedy than Windows
for the X-Plane application.

There is a silver lining for Windows users though... more tests show
that the fastest Windows machines are FASTER than the fastest Macs, so
with a dose of hi-powered Windows hardware you can MORE than make up
for the greater efficiency of the MacOS.

Bottom line: The MacOS works out to be about 15% faster than Windows,
but the Windows HARDWARE can be faster than the Mac hardware, MORE
than making up for the OS.

This will turn around when Apple releases the DESKTOPS, though, because
those will have HARDWARE to rival the fastest WINDOWS machines.. with
the tighter OS to boot.
k

kaye
07-20-2006, 09:04 AM
Been running version 8.40 for several months now. v8.50 beta-1, I decided to wait so when beta-2 appeared yesterday I decided to try it since I had just used SuperDuper Smart Backup to backup my primary boot drive with v8.40 on both drives.

beta-2 hosed X-Plane. I have a number of custom resource files on 8.40 for enhancing SFO, LAX, BOS, JFK, HNL, as well as some international airports. During launch X-Plane looks at everything and will report any problems and quit which is what it did with beta-2. Right after that experience, received an email from the author that the 8.50 beta-2 (and beta-1) are currently unable to deal with custom files. He was just a little too late for me.

I tried dragging the 8.40 folder from my backup boot drive to my primary boot drive Applications folder. Finder got almost all the way thru the copy when a window appeared that a resource file was not able to be copied and the copying stopped. OK, I trashed all of what it did copy. Decided to try Tri-BACKUP 4 Restore which I know will copy folder contents. That worked just fine, just took a long time, and it reported no errors in the Errors window. I have not tried SuperDuper for restoring a folder yet. k

TZ
07-20-2006, 12:40 PM
What's new in this version:
This should address problems of prop engines not really developing power, not sarting up at the proper location and attitude, and a bunch of other stuff as well. :D

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/4986

Synk $12 is a nice OS X program for smart synchronize and backup when you just need to deal with folders and not volumes.

kaye
07-20-2006, 06:47 PM
I'm going to wait awhile on these betas. I looked at Synk and may give it a go. Tri-BACKUP worked but very slow. It is a 58GB folder however. I do like its Errors window. And I very seldom need to restore a folder. The X-Plane beta page is long. k

kaye
10-16-2006, 08:03 AM
Even tho I was itching to try some of the later betas, I waited for the final version 8.50. Unfortunately it broke some of the LAX custom scenery I had purchased (3rd party) that worked fine in 8.40. The application warned me of the problem and then quit. I also have custom scenery for BOS, JFK, SFO, and Dubai. Fix one and maybe the next app launch would warn of another.

Not knowing which custom scenery was broke, I trashed the 58GB X-Plane folder and started over with the 8.21 install DVD and the 6 world scenery DVDs plus 2 Mars CDs. All those installations took about 3 hours on my G5. Once installed I updated to 8.50 which required a lot of changes and presented a window asking if I wanted to replace all of the changes or just some. I chose all, not knowing if some would cause problems. Folder size is still 58GB.

So far, tho I don't have all of the prefs set for what I want, it runs just fine and is definitely faster than 8.40. And the fps is around 40-50. What I didn't like is that all of the icons inside the folder were generic. So I copied and pasted the 5 icons from my backup boot drive 8.40 to fix that. Once I play with the prefs more, I'm sure the fps will decrease. k

kaye
10-17-2006, 02:31 PM
Have been adding more scenery bells and whistles in the prefs. Now getting 38-40fps with much more than I ever had in 8.40. And still only using about 189MB of my 256MB ATI X800 XT card.

http://www.x-plane.com/default.html now has a complete list of the changes since 8.40. It is huge. one of the small details is that if you set autobrakes to a high setting, you can hear and see the autobrakes chattering, momentarily releasing and reapplying, neat affect and like the real 747. Many more tweaks. k

vicwind
10-23-2006, 11:12 PM
I've been using X-plane since v5 on a dual g4, now have a dual 2 g5 (8 slot) with 4 GB ram and the 800xt video card. On version 8.x (now on 8.5) i get tons of fog even on modest settings. I expected a huge performance increase when i moved up to the dual 2 g5, but am still frustrated and not fully enjoying x-plane yet. i'm running x-plane from my second internal drive. how can i get less fog with high detail? any help would be appreciated.

kaye
10-24-2006, 10:29 AM
vicwind,
I started to write down all of the Rendering Options and then decided to take a screenshot. Dumbing it down proved fruitless because can't read all of the info. I'm using a 23" Apple Cinema HD Display set 1920x1200, Millions.
http://homepage.mac.com/kaye_yum/.Public/RenderOptions.jpg
As you can see I have the X-Plane window set 1600x1200 so I can see the instruments without glasses on. Plus I have the field of view set 60.0 degrees which puts much more load on the VRAM.

According to the author Austin Meyer, texture resolution has a huge effect on VRAM requirement. Anti-alias level, while it won't show on VRAM requirement according to Austin, will put a huge workload on the X800XT, as the Rendering Options pane sez.

Another possibility, look at the bottom of the Rendering Options pane where it describes the video card extension in use. Then go to System Profiler here:
http://homepage.mac.com/kaye_yum/.Public/SystemProfiler.jpg
and check that you have the proper extension and that it is loaded, Valid: Yes, Authentic: Yes, Dependencies: Satisfied, Integrity: Correct.

If you like I can email you some screenshots of a 747-400 approach to KSFO 28R so you can see what it looks like and what the fps is. They will be large in order to see the fps window. k

vicwind
10-24-2006, 07:32 PM
thanks, Kaye. I've lowered the field of view to 45 deg. I'm going to restart and see how that works. It looks like I need a faster video card to really crank things up.

kaye
10-25-2006, 09:48 AM
Aren't we running the same video card? ATI X800XT ME with 256MB of VRAM?
Running Tiger 10.4.8? Does Rendering Options show 256MB?

Open Activity Monitor (Utilities folder), select Memory, and drag the window over to the side so that you can see it while running X-Plane. With the airplane you are using at the airport you have selected on the runway for takeoff, what does Activity Monitor show for how much real RAM is being used and how much is free. I'm wondering if you have something running that is hogging real RAM.

In my case I have twice the RAM you have, 8GB, and with the normal background stuff running plus X-Plane I show in Activity Monitor using 1.77GB and free 6.23GB. Keep in mind that if you have a cluttered desktop, each of those folders/files takes up real RAM, so I only have the two hard drives and an alias to a folder where I put items that are on the desktop. k

vicwind
10-26-2006, 01:25 PM
thanks again, kaye. some excellent advice. and yes, my desktop is a real mess! i'm cleaning that up right now. as far as the video card, it's the x800xt as well and shows 256 MB of vram. lowering my feild of view to 45 made no difference in performance. strangely, i can only set isotropic filtering as either on or off; there's no other option next to the checkbox like you have pictured. i'm using 8.50 on 10.4.8 with my G5 dual 2, 4gig ram. the rendering specs all check out in profiler. considering the g5 bus speed is nearly 10 times my old g4, i'm still amazed at how small the performance increase is in xplane. i must be doing something wrong. are you running the app and scenery/data on seperate drives? thanks again. btw, why are we needing to run the radeon 9700 extension for the x800xt? is that the last driver that ati wrote?

kaye
10-26-2006, 03:12 PM
I am running X-Plane and scenery/data on my boot drive, a SATA 300GB Maxtor 7L300S0, 279.4GB after initializing, 107.3GB used. It is a fast hard drive.

That 9700 extension on a Mac works for some version of the 9700, 2 versions of the 9800 as far as I know, and the X800XT.

Your comment about setting the isotropic filtering turned on a light bulb in my head. Go to System prefs, under Other near the bottom there should be an ATI Displays control panel. Launch it, select 3D on the left, Add Xbench.app, preset High Performance.

Now you should get:
Performance checked and set for Speed
FSAA (Multi) checked and set Off
Anisotropic Filtering checked and set Off
Vertical Sync checked and Off

My version of ATI Displays is 4.5.5 which is most likely not the latest. If I recall there is a 4.5.6.

Try that and let me know. k

vicwind
10-27-2006, 03:06 PM
Holy Kaye. I must need the driver from ati then, because it does not appear in the sys pref pane at all. i'm going to grab the driver from the net and install it. i just assumed that if i could see ANYTHING, the graphics card must be fully functioning. i'm happy to hear that there's more to this card than i've yet found. thanks for you help. i'll let you know how this works. :)

kaye
10-27-2006, 03:28 PM
Not sure if this link will work but here goes:
https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&folderID=299
Then select Mac OS Drivers and Software. k

kaye
10-28-2006, 01:34 PM
I have taken some screenshots of the takeoff postition on 28R as well as an approach to 28R. X-Plane has a screenshot keyboard command on the fly but it only takes the shot at 1024x768 and 45 degrees field of view. So I pause the approach and take a Mac screenshot at 1600x1200 and 60 degrees. Had to run 2 approaches to get it all. fps is in the upper left corner.

In the takeoff position. About 6 miles to the top of the hills directly ahead:
http://homepage.mac.com/kaye_yum/.Public/TO28Rthreshold.jpg
fps = 25.5

About 9 miles to the 28R threshold so about 15 miles to scenery at the far hilltops:
http://homepage.mac.com/kaye_yum/.Public/App28R9mi.jpg
fps = 37.3

About 7 miles to the 28R threshold:
http://homepage.mac.com/kaye_yum/.Public/App28R7mi.jpg
fps = 30.4

Over the BRIJJ NDB Outer Marker (San Mateo Bridge):
http://homepage.mac.com/kaye_yum/.Public/App28RBRIJJom.jpg
fps = 34.1

1000 feet:
http://homepage.mac.com/kaye_yum/.Public/App28R1000ft.jpg
fps = 33.2

500 feet:
http://homepage.mac.com/kaye_yum/.Public/App28R500ft.jpg
fps = 30.8

Flock of Birds and a balloon (which do not show up on TCAS):
http://homepage.mac.com/kaye_yum/.Public/28RflockBirds.jpg
fps = 30.5
Not sure what happened to the runway threshold lights that extend out into the water. Were there in v8.4. Will have to see if they show up at night. k

vicwind
10-30-2006, 09:31 AM
wow! those are great shots and very helpful with the fps in there. i have installed the ati v4.5.7 utility but cannot find Xbench.app, and so can't add it to the 3d overrides. still not getting variable options for anti-iso filtering (on/off check-box only). i'll take some shots if i can get nice ones. thanks for all your help, kaye. your advice has really helped get a smooth operation here. one more thing: is the purchased scenery much more of a burdon on system reqs? i now want better canadian scenery (vancouver is underwater).

kaye
10-30-2006, 11:16 AM
My bad, forget Xbench.app, sorry. You can just either leave the 3D settings as is or Add X-Plane 850.app which should be in your X-Plane folder inside your Applications folder. k

kaye
10-30-2006, 11:19 AM
Going back to standard time has me out of sync and getting up late. So I was up at 6:30 and running X-Plane. The fps was a bit lower because while lights were on such as building lights, cars going across the San Mateo Bridge, and taxiway lights, I could also see the buildings, bridge, taxiways, and so forth.

So fps was down 1-6fps depending on where in the approach I was. However the approach lights were visible from start of approach. Close in, the approach light structures for 28L and R are no longer there, just as in the daytime. But the lights are obviously there and I suppose they would be there on a CAT II or CATIII approach at minimum visibility in the daytime.

Anyway, at 500 feet:
http://homepage.mac.com/kaye_yum/.Public/App28Rnight500.1.jpg

And at 280 feet:
http://homepage.mac.com/kaye_yum/.Public/App28Rnight280.1.jpg
k

kaye
10-30-2006, 12:15 PM
vicwind,

I have the ATI Displays panel set thus:
http://homepage.mac.com/kaye_yum/.Public/Displays.jpg
k

vicwind
10-30-2006, 09:31 PM
ok. i have the ati panel set like yours. very smooth.

vicwind
10-31-2006, 11:31 AM
still no anti-iso options. oh well, i'm lovin' it. also, my mac runs waaaaay quieter now. before the driver, my machine was running the gpu fan constantly. now i almost never hear it. (which is great for my audio recording purposes!!!) btw, do you run the ati app while running xplane?

kaye
10-31-2006, 12:24 PM
Glad its working well but I am at a loss why you are not getting the 8x anisotropic filter textures in X-Plane prefs. One of the ATI installers requires you to do a Safe Boot before installation. Did you do that? I think it was the ROM installer.

I don't run the ATI control panel while running X-Plane. My recollection is that the control panel modifies something in the system, perhaps another extension or extensions but not the 9700 extension. As far as I know, the settings are stored somewhere for use with X-Plane. You might try it and see if there is a difference. I have not tried launching the ATI control panel then launching X-Plane in a long time. Last I did, there was no difference. k

kaye
11-01-2006, 11:23 AM
Last night and early this morning I did some more experimenting with X-Plane 8.50. First, in Rendering Options I upped texture resolution from very high to extreme res! which requires, like the other options, you must quit X-Plane and relaunch.

Now Rendering Options showed VRAM used 386.39MB. Huh? 256MB card using 386MB? Last night, while the fps was mostly a little less, I ran the approach without a hitch, never getting down to my minimum frame rate setting (default) of 19.0fps. So I upped the number of objects from mega tons to the next level. Ran thru another approach and at touchdown the approach stopped and I got a window that my fps was below 19.0fps and X-Plane was reducing my Rendering Options. Clicked Understood and completed the rollout. So I went back to mega tons and maintained extreme res!

This morning, still curious about the 386.39MB VRAM, I launched Activity Monitor set to System Memory. Difficult for my pea brain to see any difference. So I have given up figuring it out. Will email the author.

Some approach screenshots this morning with X-Plane set at extreme res! and all of the other Rendering Options the same as my previous settings screenshot before. At all of the points below, Activity Monitor said System Memory Used varied from 1.93GB to 1.99GB.

Takeoff position:
http://homepage.mac.com/kaye_yum/.Public/XPpic1.jpg
fps = 23.0

Start of Approach:
http://homepage.mac.com/kaye_yum/.Public/XPpic2.jpg
fps = 30.0

Continuing approach:
http://homepage.mac.com/kaye_yum/.Public/XPpic3.jpg
fps = 24.6

Over the BRIJJ NDB Outer Marker (San Mateo Bridge):
http://homepage.mac.com/kaye_yum/.Public/XPpic4.jpg
fps = 26.7

1000 feet:
http://homepage.mac.com/kaye_yum/.Public/XPpic5.jpg
fps = 26.8

About 480 feet:
http://homepage.mac.com/kaye_yum/.Public/XPpic6.jpg
fps = 26.0

Rollout end of 28R. It is now morning so the red cockpit lighting is extinguished. You can see the red tail lights of cars heading North on what used to be called the Bayshore Freeway:
http://homepage.mac.com/kaye_yum/.Public/XPpic7.jpg
fps = 24.5
k

rwm
11-01-2006, 12:23 PM
Dang this X - Plane looks really fun. I would most probably crash on take off. :D

kaye
11-01-2006, 01:07 PM
Nah Randy. Maybe a little more complex in a 747-400 but the prop airplanes would be easier. Years ago, I got a friend who lives in Evergreen, CO into a 737 simulator. He had never flown at all but learned quickly and could do it himself in about 4 hours. Of course that was clear skies, no weather or wind, just takeoff, flying around the airport, and landing on the runway. And no problems with the simulator airplane. We did that 737 several times and he ended up with about 50 hours and a lot of landings, got real good.

Da Boss wanted to do it so I scheduled a 4 hour period in a 727 sim with an instructor who looked like John Wayne, hat, boots, belt buckle and all. She was in the left seat, I was in the right seat, and John Wayne was seated right behind her whispering in her ear. Before the period was up she was making CAT II approaches to minimums in fog at night with manual landings. Afterwards she told me that wasn't difficult and why was I complaining so much after returning from several days of flying? k

vicwind
11-03-2006, 01:18 AM
sorry, kaye, i still have yet to take those screenshots...i'm having so much fun with actually flying and looking around that i keep forgetting. well now something else is wrong. I downloaded a couple of aircraft and also installed a custom airport (abbottsford). [very nice airport]. The problem is now that's the ONLY airport that will load from either Quickflight setup or Select global airport. Any other airports will fail to load, ending in an unexpected quit. Also, since installing the new planes, all the airfoils are wrong for anything BUT those new planes. The ai says something about the files being missing and that it will go ahead and use the defaults (which may be incorrect for this plane). I MUST HAVE INSTALLED THESE THINGS INCORRECTLY! i thought one merely needs to drag the new planes and/or scenery into the aircraft and scenery folders. That, i guess, is my problem. Also i have these settings: where are the filter options? also, i cannot find anywhere to output the framerate on the screen. i used to be able to do this under rendering options. BTW, i'm running x-plane 8.50 RC-1. OS 10.4.8

kaye
11-03-2006, 08:35 AM
vicwind,
The very last item you mentioned, RC-1 is where we need to start. The RCs go from -1 thru -5. Some like RC-1 were still buggy and slow as Austin tweaked things. Going from 8.40 to 8.50 was a major change to make things easier for future updates. RC-5 and the final 8.50 are the same, anything earlier is not what you want.

Some scenery such as airports or particular downtown buildings like the Sears Tower or Transamerica Building or bridges need to be installed the way that the developer sez. Should be on an installation web page or an included ReadMe in the download. My guess would be in the Custom Scenery folder but then again maybe not. I got the distinct feeling that either the betas or perhaps an early RC would not allow or play well with custom scenery so I went back to 8.40 and waited for the final 8.50 to install.

New airplanes, you mean custom new airplanes? If so, they must AFAIK list 8.5 compatibility. Earlier v8 airplanes may work but the whole method that Austin uses now in 8.50 to describe aircraft has changed since 8.40.

Framerate, you are correct that it is not in Rendering Options. At the moment I forget where. Will have to look. k

kaye
11-03-2006, 09:40 AM
To get the fps window:
Settings > Data Input & Output > Data Set tab
Top left corner of the window where it sez 00. There are 4 check boxes. Click just the 4th check box furthest from the 00. k

vicwind
11-03-2006, 01:11 PM
well i'm getting between 39-45 fps depending on where in the approach i am. ( for cyxx) thanks for everything. Now if i could just get these other airports working. are the approaches you were flying for the san francisco intnl?

kaye
11-03-2006, 02:08 PM
Yes, KSFO 28R approach. k

biggles
11-03-2006, 02:13 PM
Dang this X - Plane looks really fun. I would most probably crash on take off. :D
Don't worry about it Randy, I did. :D

But, of course, I didn't RTFM, and I don't have a stick.

kaye
11-03-2006, 06:02 PM
RTFM does help as does a stick or yoke and rudder pedals.

vicwind, Abbotsford, Rendering Options still insane res!, VRAM used 441.85MB

Takeoff position:
http://homepage.mac.com/kaye_yum/.Public/CYXXRW7TO.jpg
fps = 47.8

Start of Approach:
http://homepage.mac.com/kaye_yum/.Public/CYXXstartApp.jpg
fps = 66.6

About 8 miles:
http://homepage.mac.com/kaye_yum/.Public/CYXX8m.jpg
fps = 65.5

Just past the XX NDB Marker:
http://homepage.mac.com/kaye_yum/.Public/CYXXpastXX.jpg
fps = 56.8

About 400 feet:
http://homepage.mac.com/kaye_yum/.Public/CYXX400ft.jpg
fps = 55.2

About 100 feet:
http://homepage.mac.com/kaye_yum/.Public/CYXX100ft.jpg
fps = 55.7
k

kaye
11-04-2006, 10:32 AM
Miscellaneous Ramblings:

At 5:50am Pacific I looked for some Abbotsford city lights. Not surprisingly there were none, just some cars on CA1 I think it was and of course the airport. VRAM was down to 360.44MB, nothing to see except the cockpit and airport when dark outside. Looks like city scenery at Chilliwack, Willingham, and of course Vancouver.
Did a Google Earth look:
http://homepage.mac.com/kaye_yum/.Public/GoogEarthCYXX.jpg
Robin Peel maintains the scenery and concentrates on major cities around the world. If there is 3rd party custom scenery, that helps. If not, Robin will do it but you must submit a lot of info. See here:
http://x-plane.org/home/robinp/
Plus you can see that the DAFIF data has been removed from public domain. That page is very detailed and gives me a headache because I don't understand a lot of it.

I get the x-plane-tech email Digests. The following was on the latest. Obviously my excessive VRAM used is normal at extreme res! and will use some system memory when the card runs out of available VRAM.
------------------------
> I'm running a iMac G5 with 1.5GB RAM these days...
> I've not done accurate tests yet, but I seem to be getting better
> frame rates when I set textures to extreme res rather than very
> high?

I noticed the same effect when I upgraded the video card in my dual G5
to an X800. I see this in areas with a high object density, where
X-Plane is cpu limited rather than video card limited. I did some
careful comparisons between the X800 and the old 9600 it replaced. I
was surprised to find that over downtown LA, framerates actually got
about 5% *worse* with the X800, and then improved as I jacked up the
texture res, anti-aliasing, etc.

The only explanation I can come up with is that the video card is fast
enough to significantly load the machine's memory bandwidth, which in
turn makes the cpu run slower. When you load the card (like with
higher texture res) it puts less of a load on memory so the cpu runs a
little faster. Others are welcome to jump in with their own theories.

Actually, I'm surprised you're getting away with running at extreme
res. This is 8.50, right? My X800 has 256MB VRAM, and when I tried
extreme res I ran out of VRAM and frame rate went completely down the
toilet. I suppose it depends on where you are. In the KSBD demo area
I'm at 200MB VRAM usage at Very High res, and Extreme put me well
close to 400.
------------------------
Another post:
Well, that's definitely strange enough! 500MB of VRAM requirement with
only 128MB VRAM on the card isn't supposed to work! Then again, I'm
using a Mac; there may be a difference in how textures are fed to the
video card that makes it a lot slower on a Mac.
------------------------
So I guess there is no need to email the author. k

vicwind
11-04-2006, 10:39 PM
wow! i tried extreme res! and holy ____. i'm getting framrates between 55-60 on final. rendering says i'm using 257 MB of VRAM. i also turned on 2X anti-aliasing. but i still get no options for isotropic filtering. strange, i did do the rom update in safe reboot as well.

kaye
11-05-2006, 07:59 AM
Glad that things are working well for Abbotsford. But why the anisotropic filter textures isn't, I don't know but you are still using RC-1, right?

You got the installer for RC-1 off of the X-Plane website? I know the installers changed as the RCs changed. For instance now the installer for 8.50 is here
http://www.x-plane.com/demo.html currently at 1.15. Important to launch the installer and let it put everything in the correct place. Plus the installer will, after initial start, connect with up to 4 servers which really speeds the download. Anyway, maybe RC-1 would not allow up to 8x anisotropic filter textures. k

vicwind
11-06-2006, 01:23 AM
yep, that was it. downloaded the actual 8.50 and got the iso filter options now. i have it set at 8x, extreme res, populated, mega tons and default roads. everything else is on as well as 2x anti aliasing. getting consistant framerates of 45-60 depending on where i am. wow! kaye you have brought me into the 21st century! thanks. how do i post my screenshots? also, how do i buy just scenery?

kaye
11-06-2006, 09:58 AM
Perfect, you're welcome.
Posting screenshots:
I don't know if a Member can utilize posting screenshots on the MacGurus servers. When you Post Reply, under Reply to Thread, is there an Additional Options pane with a Manage Attachments?

If not, you need to put the screenshots on a 24hr server. I have a .Mac account so I use Photoshop to Save to Web (and convert the png file to jpg all in one operation). That cuts the file size down to about 2/3rds the size of the original png without denigrating the quality.

If you want, you can send the screenshots to me. You will need to only take 3 at a time and zip them before you email them. But start by just sending me an email and I will reply with the email address I prefer you to use for this operation.

Scenery:
http://www.x-plane.org/ free and for sale
http://www.x-scenery.com/
http://www.realscenery.com/
More here http://www.x-plane.com/xworld.html k

kaye
11-12-2006, 08:11 AM
vicwind, did you send me the screenshots? If so I have not received them.

Something on XLR8YM reminded me of a perfect tool for checking VRAM used by the graphics card.

Downloaded GET_ATI_NVIDIA_VRAM_V09
It becomes ATI NVIDIA Tool v0.93

Started a daytime approach yesterday to KSFO 28R from outside the BRIJJ OM to completion of rollout on the runway and finally quit X-Plane (where the Free VRAM jumps up to 248MB). Here is the tool's text readout:
----------
Logging: ATI Radeon 9600/9700/9800 - after initial values there will be only changes logged.
9:59:33 AM Free VRAM 30 MB
9:59:33 AM Texture Count 1431
10:01:10 AM Free VRAM 29 MB
10:01:10 AM Texture Count 1432
10:01:39 AM Free VRAM 28 MB
10:01:39 AM Texture Count 1441
10:02:10 AM Free VRAM 27 MB
10:02:10 AM Texture Count 1453
10:02:34 AM Free VRAM 26 MB
10:02:34 AM Texture Count 1457
10:04:15 AM Free VRAM 25 MB
10:04:15 AM Texture Count 1473
10:04:57 AM Free VRAM 22 MB
10:04:57 AM Texture Count 1527
10:05:05 AM Free VRAM 21 MB
10:05:05 AM Texture Count 1721
10:05:11 AM Free VRAM 18 MB
10:05:11 AM Texture Count 1768
10:05:12 AM Free VRAM 15 MB
10:05:12 AM Texture Count 1788
10:07:06 AM Free VRAM 248 MB
10:07:06 AM Texture Count 207
10:07:18 AM Logging stopped
Summary: Even with fast logging the values are only flashlights
VRAM MIN:15 MB
VRAM MAX:248 MB
VRAM AVG:43 MB
----------
So there is something wrong with the Rendering Options VRAM figure. This is with my X-Plane setting of 1600x1200 and 60 degrees, extreme res!, yada yada, where it reports VRAM used 386.39MB. k

vicwind
11-12-2006, 02:48 PM
I'm getting similar figures. Is it possible that xplane is able to use system memory in addition to vram when it needs the extra juice? if so, that rocks.

kaye
11-13-2006, 07:08 AM
I thought the issue would be resolved in the thread in x-plane-tech email Digests. But unfortunately it petered out with no definite resolution tho I believe the consensus was a bug and not using main memory. One guy on a PC with 128MB VRAM card was getting 500+MB in Rendering Options. I will email the author later this morning. k

kaye
11-13-2006, 11:40 AM
Emailed Customer Support and received an almost immediate response:
Hello, Sir. YES, you're paging stuff that should be handled in the video card to your system RAM. This is a VERY SLOW process and will slow the sim down. No, I don't think there's a bug.

Need anything else? Please let me know and I'll be happy to try and help.

Thanks,

Randy Witt
X-Plane, Customer Support
913-269-0976

So it does access main memory tho it cannot be that slow on our G5s since neither of us see a slowdown and fps is still high.

VRAM clock speed for X800XT = 500MHz
VRAM type = GDDR3
Bus type = AGP 8X
Memory clock speed for our G5s = 400MHz DDR (mine is CL2, PC3200U-20320)

My GigaMDD G4 with 9800 Pro ME 256MB:
VRAM clock speed = 340MHz
VRAM type = DDR
Bus type = AGP 4X
Memory clock speed for the G4 = 400MHz (mine is CL2.5)

I realize there is much more to a video card, pipelines, pixel fillrate, geometry rate, etc. but accessing main memory works. k

vicwind
11-14-2006, 02:22 PM
BTW, i will be posting some screenshots on my site very soon. There are some cool ones of San Fernando at night! The things i'm seeing now were completely whited out by fog before i installed the ati hardware acceleration. It's amazing what the right driver will do. I do need a fix for CYVR as most of the city of vancouver is underwater!

TZ
11-14-2006, 02:26 PM
On a MacPro running Vista, it shows my 256MB VRAM, but also, 540MB using shared system memory... must be a Windows type thing?

kaye
11-14-2006, 03:41 PM
Maybe that's it TZ. It didn't do that in 8.4 but this build of X-Plane is different in a lot of ways. k

kaye
11-14-2006, 04:38 PM
vicwind,

I'm not in water at Vancouver:
http://homepage.mac.com/kaye_yum/.Public/CYVR26R.jpg

I was shooting approaches at KJFK, in particular the Parkway Visual Rwy 13L before it got dark. Used to be called the Canarsie Visual. So much eye candy at New York that I had to back off the Rendering Options settings. Same for ILS 27 at KBOS. Forgot to set them back up for CYVR. k

vicwind
11-15-2006, 03:36 AM
argh! my cyvr looks nothing like that! i'll email you the shot. yours looks nice btw clearly showing i think alex fraser bridge. cool. is that the stock scenery or did you add some objects?

kaye
11-15-2006, 08:56 AM
Stock scenery. I would go here http://x-plane.org/home/robinp/ and download and install the latest DAFIF file. Otherwise it must be something with your install. k

kaye
11-15-2006, 10:27 AM
Still experimenting with settings. I accept the explaination about VRAM but CPUs play a part too. When the CPUs get overloaded with eye candy, the fps drops and if there is a warning about minimum fps (mine is set 19fps), X-Plane reduces the visibility (mine set 15 statute miles). Last night I shot an approach to KJFK and had to change my Rendering Options back to the screenshot I took, that is texture resolution very high, plus there was fog because X-Plane kept reducing the visibility below the 15sm I had set. The settings in Rendering Options and Weather don't change, X-Plane just temporarily changes them.

After doing that, last night I shot an approach to London Heathrow (EGLL) 09L:
http://homepage.mac.com/kaye_yum/.Public/EGLL09Lnight.jpg
fps = 20.8

Same approach this morning:
http://homepage.mac.com/kaye_yum/.Public/EGLL09Lday.jpg
fps = 30.5

Over to Paris Charles De Gaulle (LFPG) 08L:
http://homepage.mac.com/kaye_yum/.Public/LFPG8Lday.jpg
fps = 36.3

On to KJFK 13L. This is where the CPUs really bog down and X-Plane reduces the visibility. There is a lot of eye candy around the airport even with the Rendering Options reduced and the fps takes a big hit several times during the approach and fog settles in right from the start of the approach. Not bad at this point but start of the approach is the worst:
http://homepage.mac.com/kaye_yum/.Public/KJFK13Lday.jpg
fps = 20.5

Then over to KBOS 27:
Better, but I imagine if I did a visual to RW 9 it would not be so good:
http://homepage.mac.com/kaye_yum/.Public/KBOS27day.jpg
fps = 22.3
It sure would help to have quad or 8x CPUs plus a 512MB VRAM card. k

kaye
11-15-2006, 07:10 PM
I did the visual to KBOS RW09 and the fps is good:
http://homepage.mac.com/kaye_yum/.Public/KBOS09visual.jpg
fps = 33.3

I remembered that the clearance over buildings is close:
http://homepage.mac.com/kaye_yum/.Public/KBOS09outside.jpg
k

vicwind
11-15-2006, 07:57 PM
Thanks for the nav data tip. i'll check that out. for now, here's a link to the approach to 26R at CYVR. http://www.wholetonesound.com/screenshot.png
and this one is a shot of downtown vancouver facing north: http://www.wholetonesound.com/vancouver.png
we'll see what the new nav files do in a minute.
and for something pretty: http://www.wholetonesound.com/float.png

vicwind
11-15-2006, 08:20 PM
well i installed the latest nav files from that link. still no change with vancouver underwater. i guess i'll reinstall the whole app.

kaye
11-16-2006, 07:20 AM
I see you do have a flood condition at CYVR, not pretty. The float plane pic is pretty. Never flew a high wing or a float plane.

One thing I was thinking, I don't know exactly where the cutoff is for the USA disk, how far if any it goes into Canada. I have the complete scenery DVDs which includes the Canada DVD, actually all of Canada and Greenland. If you don't have that, I wonder if the USA cutoff is just South of CYVR or just does not include it. If you don't have the Canada DVD, I don't know where a single scenery DVD can be purchased. Maybe an email to the author or store. But it does look as if there is a problem with the installation because most of CYVR is there on your approach pic. k

kaye
11-17-2006, 05:58 AM
Did some investigation last night and think I have this right. When you're in an area that no custom scenery covers, meaning the DVD Canada installed, X-Plane looks in every custom scenery folder before finally loading the terrain file out of DSF 820 Earth folder. AFAIK, that is generic and will give you only an approximation of data for a location and will give lots of water. For me that used to be a huge problem with X-Plane 7 because before the days of the scenery DVDs you would go someplace outside the USA and find an airport surrounded by water, sometimes just a runway, and installing 3rd party custom scenery was for me difficult because all of the files had to be installed manually into the proper folders. I could be way off on this, just an educated guess.

Do you have the Canada DVD installed? When I installed 8.21 and all of the scenery DVDs, I believe that updating via download to 8.40 and later 8.50 caused updates/changes to some of those scenery files installed. Email me if you don't have the Canada DVD because I don't think you can get it without repurchasing the X-plane DVD. k

kaye
11-17-2006, 07:52 AM
I was sent a piece called Fastest Guy Out There. I couldn't stop smiling over it so I tried the SR71:
http://homepage.mac.com/kaye_yum/.Public/KSFO28RSR71.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/kaye_yum/.Public/KSFO28RSR71.1.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/kaye_yum/.Public/KSFO28RSR71.2.jpg

It is very difficult to fly with a trackball. Need a stick or stick and rudder pedals connected (which I do have, plus I have a yoke). You get to the far end of the runway very quickly.

The Fastest Guys Out There
Written by Brian Schul - former sled driver

There were a lot of things we couldn’t do in an SR-71, but we were the fastest guys on the block and loved reminding our fellow aviators of this fact.

People often asked us if, because of this fact, it was fun to fly the jet. Fun would not be the first word I would use to describe flying this plane. Intense, maybe. Even cerebral. But there was one day in our Sled experience when we would have to say that it was pure fun to be the fastest guys out there, at least for a moment.

It occurred when Walt and I were flying our final training sortie. We needed 100 hours in the jet to complete our training and attain Mission Ready status. Somewhere over Colorado we had passed the century mark. We had made the turn in Arizona and the jet was performing flawlessly. My gauges were wired in the front seat and we were starting to feel pretty good about ourselves, not only because we would soon be flying real missions but because we had gained a great deal of confidence in the plan in the past ten months. Ripping across the barren deserts 80,000 feet below us, I could already see the coast of California from the Arizona border. I was, finally, after many humbling months of simulators and study, ahead of the jet.

I was beginning to feel a bit sorry for Walter in the back seat. There he was, with no really good view of the incredible sights before us, tasked with monitoring four different radios. This was good practice for him for when we began flying real missions, when a priority transmission from headquarters could be vital. It had been difficult, too, for me to relinquish control of the radios, as during my entire flying career I had controlled my own transmissions. But it was part of the division of duties in this plane and I had adjusted to it. I still insisted on talking on the radio while we were on the ground, however. Walt was so good at many things, but he couldn’t match my expertise at sounding smooth on the radios, a skill that had been honed sharply with years in fighter squadrons where the slightest radio miscue was grounds for beheading. He understood that and allowed me that luxury. Just to get a sense of what Walt had to contend with, I pulled the radio toggle switches and monitored the frequencies along with him. The predominant radio chatter was from Los Angeles Center, far below us, controlling daily traffic in their sector. While they had us on their scope (albeit briefly), we were in uncontrolled airspace and normally would not talk to them unless we needed to descend into their airspace.

We listened as the shaky voice of a lone Cessna pilot asked Center for a readout of his ground speed. Center replied:

November Charlie 175, I’m showing you at ninety knots on the ground.

Now the thing to understand about Center controllers, was that whether they were talking to a rookie pilot in a Cessna, or to Air Force One, they always spoke in the exact same, calm, deep, professional, tone that made one feel important. I referred to it as the “ Houston Center voice.” I have always felt that after years of seeing documentaries on this country’s space program and listening to the calm and distinct voice of the Houston controllers, that all other controllers since then wanted to sound like that… and that they basically did. And it didn’t matter what sector of the country we would be flying in, it always seemed like the same guy was talking. Over the years that tone of voice had become somewhat of a comforting sound to pilots everywhere. Conversely, over the years, pilots always wanted to ensure that, when transmitting, they sounded like Chuck Yeager, or at least like John Wayne. Better to die than sound bad on the radios.

Just moments after the Cessna’s inquiry, a Twin Beech piped up on frequency, in a rather superior tone, asking for his groundspeed. in Beach.

I have you at one hundred and twenty-five knots of ground speed.

Boy, I thought, the Beechcraft really must think he is dazzling his Cessna brethren.

Then out of the blue, a navy F-18 pilot out of NAS Lemoore came up on frequency. You knew right away it was a Navy jock because he sounded very cool on the radios.

Center, Dusty 52 ground speed check

Before Center could reply, I’m thinking to myself, hey, Dusty 52 has a ground speed indicator in that million-dollar cockpit, so why is he asking Center for a readout? Then I got it, ol’ Dusty here is making sure that every bug smasher from Mount Whitney to the Mojave knows what true speed is. He’s the fastest dude in the valley today, and he just wants everyone to know how much fun he is having in his new Hornet.

And the reply, always with that same, calm, voice, with more distinct alliteration than emotion:

Dusty 52, Center, we have you at 620 on the ground.

And I thought to myself, is this a ripe situation, or what? As my hand instinctively reached for the mic button, I had to remind myself that Walt was in control of the radios. Still, I thought, it must be done – in mere seconds we’ll be out of the sector and the opportunity will be lost. That Hornet must die, and die now.

I thought about all of our Sim training and how important it was that we developed well as a crew and knew that to jump in on the radios now would destroy the integrity of all that we had worked toward becoming. I was torn. Somewhere, 13 miles above Arizona, there was a pilot screaming inside his space helmet.

Then, I heard it. The click of the mic button from the back seat. That was the very moment that I knew Walter and I had become a crew. Very professionally, and with no emotion, Walter spoke:

Los Angeles Center, Aspen 20, can you give us a ground speed check?

There was no hesitation, and the replay came as if was an everyday request.

Aspen 20, I show you at one thousand eight hundred and forty-two knots, across the ground.

I think it was the forty-two knots that I liked the best, so accurate and proud was Center to deliver that information without hesitation, and you just knew he was smiling. But the precise point at which I knew that Walt and I were going to be really good friends for a long time was when he keyed the mic once again to say, in his most fighter-pilot-like voice:

Ah, Center, much thanks,

We’re showing closer to nineteen hundred on the money.

For a moment Walter was a god. And we finally heard a little crack in the armor of the Houston Center voice, when L.A.came back with,

Roger that Aspen,

Your equipment is probably more accurate than ours.

You boys have a good one.

It all had lasted for just moments, but in that short, memorable sprint across the southwest, the Navy had been flamed, all mortal airplanes on freq were forced to bow before the King of Speed, and more importantly, Walter and I had crossed the threshold of being a crew. A fine day’s work.

We never heard another transmission on that frequency all the way to the coast. For just one day, it truly was fun being the fastest guys out there.
k

vicwind
11-18-2006, 12:52 AM
wow! that was one of THE coolest things i've read, on or off the net. thanks very much for posting the story. is that an excerpt from a book; it would be a great read. as far as the dvd goes: no, my dvd came only with the app and aircraft plus southern california demo. i emailed the store about getting just canada, so we'll see. I think you are right about the water thing. i noticed xplane doing that in strange places sometimes, like being caught in a place in the VR that doesn't exist. xplane also seems to default for missing parts/airfoils when it can't find them. (this can take a while, and about 40 "continue" clicks). I can't wait for better textures. I read somewhere that enhanced and night-lit V8 scenery runs just as fast as default textures. If that's true i really can't wait for the scenery dvd. i'll let you know how it goes.

kaye
11-18-2006, 08:01 AM
You bet. I did a Google search this morning and found
http://www.adventurersclub.org/Detail_1.htm (at the very bottom of the page) and links to this
http://www.sleddriver.com/
I suppose what I posted is from there, the book. BTW I also took a look on eBay and found several v8 packages with the box clearly stating 7 DVDs meaning the app installer DVD which includes the USA scenery (more than just the SoCal demo), and 6 other world scenery DVDs. Just does not include the 2 Mars DVDs. Some on eBay were also only the 1 DVD. I have all nine. Everything I have is both Mac and PC but I'm not sure about those retail packages. Mine came from the X-Plane store and did not come in a glossy retail box.

Last night I tried the SR-71 again. Took off on KSFO 10L and turned around headed North, climbed to 83,000 feet/2,092 knots and still accelerating but no one to brag to plus I cannot read the gauges well even with glasses on (had to get the altitude and speed off of the local map info). Very difficult to hand fly at night with trackball at that speed. Have yet to discover an autopilot, just can't see it. I was up by Yakima, Washington in a hurry. Made a left turn to the South and at that speed even with a near 30 degree bank it put me way over the Pacific and was taking forever. If I had made a right turn I would have been over Idaho. Going to try it in daylight conditions. k

vicwind
11-22-2006, 12:38 PM
Wow, that book is pricey. But it would be nice to have. What would also be nice is a plugin that works with the atc to give us ground speed call-outs when we ask for them. Thanks for pointing out the dvd on ebay. i'll get one of those as it seems like a good deal. soon, happy flying.

kaye
11-27-2006, 04:32 PM
vicwind,

i've been working on my GigaMDD G4 the last couple of days. Needed to update several things including X-Plane to 8.50 with USA scenery only. I checked CYVR and I get pretty much the same as your screenshot, mostly water except for the runways, aprons, and taxiways. So to get better scenery in Canada, you do need that DVD installed. k

Macnewbe
12-09-2006, 10:06 PM
kaye,
Now that I have a G4 I looking to get Xplane, what your recomedation on a verson for my 500mhz powerbook with 1GB memory and only 30 GB HD. Could it handle V7 or do I really need v6, what about senery disks etc.
Thanks Bob

kaye
12-10-2006, 08:29 AM
Bob,

This page http://www.x-plane.com/sysreq.html explains the requirements for X-Plane 8 and 7. Sounds as if you have seen it already. Referring to v7 I have heard of being able to fudge on the CPU speed but with an older PB nearly everything is going to be stressed, RAM, hard drive space and speed, 3D card and its VRAM.I don't know what your monitor size is, the stock size for X-Plane is 1024x768 or greater (which can be user set) but smaller size (even 1024x768) makes it very difficult for me to see the instruments and knobs without glasses which I hate to wear.

v8 with all of the worldwide scenery takes 58+GB HD space. v8 with just USA scenery takes 9.4GB. v7 obviously much less and utilizes a CD instead of a DVD. I have no idea about v6 requirements. This page http://www.x-plane.com/demo.html has links to servers with older versions. At some point, you had to have the CD or DVD mounted for the app to run. In v7 as I recall. Questions? This site has one 7.63 CD left for $16 if you want to try it http://store01.prostores.com/servlet/x-planestore/Categories?category=X-Plane+Software
k

Macnewbe
12-10-2006, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the input I guess I should have asked if you think the experience would be better running V6 or v7? 7 calls for and 800mhz machine I got 500Mhz I am running 1Gb of ram. The xPlane site says for computers 4 years or older run v6 but does list it requirements. Not sure what the features are of 6vs7? Sure would like to set my own 747 or SR 71 on W13. My screen is running 1152x786. I have a iStick from Macally that I have not used yet. I also have a CH stick and pedals from the old PC. is there adapters to covert to usb?
Thanks Bob

kaye
12-10-2006, 06:41 PM
Bob,
I would contact Tech support in Contact and Support on their website to ask those questions. Ask all of your questions including if there is some kind of converter for your PC equipment to USB. They may have a v6 CD installer laying around or they may say try v7 anyway. I don't know. Never tried v6 so I have no idea what the requirements are. Might even be OS9 only. Be sure to include all of the specs of your PB. v7 would certainly be better if they think it will work. k

kaye
12-17-2006, 12:13 PM
I am waiting for v8.60 to be final. So far the author is up to beta 6. v8.50 went thru 11 betas and 5 rc's (Release Candidates) to get it right but I don't think that many will be necessary for 8.60.

Looking forward to the new autopilot/autothrottle. Reminds me a lot of the glass airplanes I flew. k

Macnewbe
12-19-2006, 01:05 AM
Reply from Xplane was the v7 would be fine for the 500mhz powerbook G4, he said nothing of v6.

kaye
12-19-2006, 09:00 AM
In that case I would jump on that X-Plane.org link to purchase the update CD to v7.63. I'm thinking that will only update not do a complete install. If that is so, I have v7 installer which no one apparently sells. Email me if you need it. k

kaye
02-25-2007, 02:44 PM
v8.60 is final. I have downloaded and installed it. Now working on understanding the autopilot which has changed considerably. k

kaye
03-11-2007, 11:32 AM
An update to the global airport and nav-aid data here http://x-plane.org/home/robinp/#GetData

A complete list here http://x-plane.org/home/robinp/Updates.htm with a ton of updated airports, many Canadian but not CYXX, vicwind.

Have not had a chance to sort out that new autopilot yet. k

kaye
10-22-2007, 06:14 PM
Latest version is 8.63. I'm struggling through flying it. k

kaye
10-29-2007, 09:19 AM
Update to version 8.64, faster updates than I can try. k

kaye
11-26-2007, 09:55 AM
Several new items:

1. X-Plane 9.00 Beta-2 is here http://www.x-plane.com/beta.html. I wait until the betas and RC (Release Candidates) are all over with and only the final is ready. In this case it will be a purchase with new scenery. And there is a note on that page that v9 be installed in a new folder, not the v8 folder.

2. Altitude Optimizer 9.00 http://www.x-plane.com/cruisealt.html must be dropped into the X-Plane v9 folder.

3. Robin's global airport and nav-aid data is currently being tested. May work or may have to be updated for X-Plane v9. http://x-plane.org/home/robinp/ k

kaye
03-02-2008, 07:32 AM
X-Plane 9.00 is up to Beta-24. The author is working on this to get it FAA approved for training towards certification for up to an Airline Transport Certificate. With all the new features in this version, there is a lot of tweaking to be done and has been done. Of course you would need an approved full motion simulator and an instructor. Got to hand it to these volunteers who fully test the Betas. k

kaye
04-18-2008, 09:29 AM
X-Plane 9.00 is final, no more betas nor release candidates. If you install all of the world scenery it is almost 70GB. It will show as release candidate 3 which turned out to be the final.

My X-Plane 8.64 folder is 58GB. k

kaye
04-22-2008, 10:52 AM
I have the shipment of X-Plane 9.00 with world scenery. What I have not yet decided is which hard drive to put it on. It comes on 6 dual layer DVDs, clearly labeled 1 thru 6 which is an improvement. k

kaye
04-29-2008, 08:25 AM
Installed v9 on my primary Tiger 10.4.11 boot drive, all 70GB with all of the world scenery. It shows as a universal application and as v9.00, not RC3. I then used Toast 9.0.2 Titanium to make an exact copy of disc1, the dual layer DVD disc required to make the app run or else it will run in demo mode only. Put the original away and spent some more time setting up the prefs and scenery prefs with the copy DVD.

I have much more to do. Did all this early today. My Tiger drive is now 56% used. k

kaye
07-07-2008, 08:18 AM
9.20 is in Beta-3. 9.10 was exclusively for FAA certified use. Once again, I wait for the Betas and RC's to run their course until the final is available. It will be a freebie if you purchased 9.0. k

kaye
09-10-2008, 12:43 PM
9.20 is now final as of a few days ago and the version is 9.20rc4. I have downloaded it but have yet to try. k

kaye
11-25-2008, 06:21 PM
9.21 is now final, the version is 9.21rc2. k

kaye
07-17-2009, 01:19 PM
I trashed my X-Plane 8.64 folder. That frees up 58GB on my Tiger HD.

That leaves me with X-Plane 9 only. There was and I installed 9.30 which did not update any of the apps, just the rest of the stuff. This morning I installed 9.31 and it updated all of the apps. X-Plane is now 9.31, have not tried it yet. Its folder is 72.04GB. My Tiger HD is now 34.5% full, much more breathing room. k

kaye
11-23-2009, 09:56 AM
X-Plane is now 9.40 and the web page is X-Plane Main_Page (http://wiki.x-plane.com/Main_Page)

I need to run it and take some screenshots, day and night. k

kaye
12-27-2009, 10:33 AM
X-Plane is now 9.41. Hard to keep up and still have to fly it. k

kaye
01-06-2010, 12:31 PM
I asked about running 64-bit on my iMac with Fusion 3 and Windows 7. Answer:
Quote:
X-Plane WILL run on 64 Bit OS's. But the improvement is negligible. That is - I think you're wasting your time a bit (assuming that that's the only reason you're looking at that OS).

Please let me know if you need anything else and I'll be happy to assist.

Thanks,

Randy Witt
X-Plane, Customer Support
913-269-0976
So it is just "compatible", tho I'm sure the Mac version will run faster on the iMac at 32-bit than my G5. But I don't plan on installing it on the iMac. k

kaye
01-20-2010, 09:47 AM
I have been working on v9.41 but have been hampered by several things. First the weather, constant rain for the last 4-5 days with wind gusts up to 60 MPH which wakes me up at night and during daylight hours checking for downed trees and other things blowing away as well as checking the roof, gutters, and downspouts clear. All of the gutters front and back empty into the street so if they are clear there is plenty of water clearly visible. This rain includes lightning and thunder at times so I shut down the G5 when that happens. We have lost power a few times too.

The dog hates the lightning and thunder. I take him out three times a day to do his business and when it is time for him to get out of the car he just looks at me like Are you kidding me? When we return home I have to clean and dry him off in the garage before going into the house. Fortunately he is a gentle soul. Then he goes in and I have to dry myself off, change shoes, and hang up the soaked clothes.

Tuning the Rendering Options has been a hassle. Every time you change versions, you have to go thru this and now the whole page has changed with new options and more stuff to figure out. I could go with default but for me to see the cockpit gauges in enough detail I need to run it at 1600x1200 at 32-bit color. And I like a 45 degree field of view either side of straight ahead. I just don't get enough time at this point to finish off the Rendering Options. Every time I get started to fly the sim I am bumping into the minimum fps of 19 which causes X-Plane to introduce fog to sustain the min fps. And today, in addition to the dog, our Grandchild will be here for the day. Great to spend the day with her, she is 10 months, but a total handful except when she takes her infrequent naps. k

kaye
02-01-2010, 10:34 AM
I am up to v9.44 and this time I did not have to start from scratch with the Rendering Options.
Anyway, here are 2 photos of a SFO approach to 28R.
San Mateo Bridge ahead, Foster City on the left.
http://homepage.mac.com/kaye_yum/.Public/28RfosterCity1copy.jpg and
http://homepage.mac.com/kaye_yum/.Public/28RlookingRight1copy.jpg.

Finally a visual approach to Boston Logan Runway 9. No longer
an approach there, so strictly a visual. If there were an approach
I would be about 250' low.
http://homepage.mac.com/kaye_yum/.Public/BOS92.jpg
k

kaye
02-09-2010, 10:17 PM
I have been tied up with family matters mostly our Grand Daughter and Grand Dog but also a water leak under the kitchen sink which is now fixed.

The iMac runs X-Plane v9.44 just great. Yes, more eye candy than my G5 can do but of course it reaches a point that both machines must do, Rendering Options have to be reduced in order to maintain a minimum of 19 fps.

About six or so days ago, I launched X-Plane 9.44 which had been working just fine on my G5. All of a sudden I could not read the cockpit gauges, all of the numerical data, speeds, frequencies, headings, etc. unreadable, some kind of graphics problem. First thought was my 23" Cinema HD Display. iMac was perfect. Near impossible to fly the G5.

Five days ago I started investigating the Apple 24" LED Display and the various DVI to Mini Display Port converters such as the Atlona. We are talking a total of over $1000 plus AppleCare. I didn't want to spend those bucks.

Then I started wondering why everything else, the Gurus Forums and Store as well as virtually everything else on the web was just fine. I did a lot of googling and found nothing. Three days ago I searched my HD and found the Control Panel ATI Displays. On 3D there was an Application Profile for X-Plane 8.50 RC13 set to High Performance. That should not have affected X-Plane 9.44 but it did. Deleted the old one, created a new one called X-Plane.app and set it for Best Quality. Now I can read and set everything in the cockpit great, not quite as bright as the iMac but definitely as clear. k

rwm
02-10-2010, 06:26 PM
Looks fun Kaye. I'd crash. :weeskull:

unclemac
02-11-2010, 12:36 AM
Looks fun Kaye. I'd crash. :weeskull:

That's the fun part!

In a simulator. :rolleyes:

unclemac
02-11-2010, 12:40 AM
So, Kaye:

What is cruising speed on when your dirty like that? What is stall speed? How much altitude do you need to recover a stall in bird that big?

rwm
02-11-2010, 01:17 PM
When or if you do crash.... do you get to watch?
What is cruising speed on when your dirty like that? What is stall speed? How much altitude do you need to recover a stall in bird that big? It is all very real - right? That's what I assumed. Are you limited to the actual planes specifications when your flying?