PDA

View Full Version : Aperture

TZ
12-05-2005, 06:23 AM
There is an excellent review of Aperture (http://arstechnica.com/reviews/apps/aperture.ars/1) over on ARS. But the conclusion speaks for itself.
Apple "... set themselves up for a big fall by attempting to dig themselves a chunk of the pro market by purporting to have the lossless holy grail of imaging. The trouble with that is they obviously didn't have the engineering or expertise in RAW processing to pull it off or, if they did, they chose not to include it because of speed constraints due to Core Image. For things like the 8-bit TIFF export problem, which can be fixed with a 1.01 update, it's not a complete dealbreaker but Aperture's faults are many and can't be fixed overnight.

Maybe by 2.0 Apple will have the foundation sorted out. At this stage Aperture is a big, expensive misfire and considering the hefty price tag, I can't think of a reason to recommend it. Reading this review, you may think I sound jaded, but I am genuinely angry for those who shelled out US$500 for a program that promised professional results and failed to deliver. Thanks for coming out Aperture, now get off the stage.
Pros

* Well organized interface
* Professional looking full screen mode and slideshow
* Nondestructive live edits and versioning without using a ton of hard drive space
* Good rating system and easily accessible powerful search field
* Red eye filter works well
* Professional-quality Highlight and Shadow filter
* Nice sepia tone and multi-channel monochrome filter
* Well-thought-out Stacks feature for organization

Cons

* Tiny fonts and reverse type throughout the interface are hard on the eyes
* Column view only for import and no file extensions in import pane
* Cannot edit base EXIF and IPTC data
* Poor RAW conversion
* Strips EXIF data on file export
* Extremely slow batch metadata editing
* No DNG export
* Has only the most basic sharpening and noise reduction tools
* The loupe tool doesn't tell you what zoom ratio you're at
* No curves adjustment
* Buggy 8-bit TIFF export
* The spot tool is very basic compared to the spot heal in Photoshop
* No way to save edits or to apply them to more than one image at a time
* No per-pixel RGB information
* Inaccurate histogram
* Many outstanding bugs
* Price for the performance

Apple Aperture
www.apple.com/aperture

wolfpweb
12-05-2005, 10:32 AM
Merci, Dr. TZ. Verrriiii interrrrestiiing. And instructive, especially coming from U..! With time, I guess, the sw will improve to the level of what they charge...

But here -again- is one for U... As in my previous posting's complaint, I was again not allowed into this here thread while using
the SAFARI browser in 10.2.8... What I get is a loop of 'log in'. After a few tries one -obviously- gives up.

Guess what..? Switched to IE 5.2 (the abandoned one) and it worked. Got 'in' on my 1st attempt.

Weird science.

Nicolas
12-05-2005, 10:39 AM
Merci, Dr. TZ. Verrriiii interrrrestiiing. And instructive, especially coming from U..! With time, I guess, the sw will improve to the level of what they charge...

But here -again- is one for U... As in my previous posting's complaint, I was again not allowed into this here thread while using
the SAFARI browser in 10.2.8... What I get is a loop of 'log in'. After a few tries one -obviously- gives up.

Guess what..? Switched to IE 5.2 (the abandoned one) and it worked. Got 'in' on my 1st attempt.

Weird science.
Try Firefox http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

1.5 has some bugs cuz it is very new but 1.0.7 works reliable and fast.

Regards

Nicolas

TZ
12-05-2005, 11:57 AM
Rick has always worked to make sure that IE would work, as you knew we had people who still use OS 9 and IE. that said, we have another thread on browsers.

Comments and discussion on Aperture are fine, but it is $500 and an 'add-on' tool for professional photo editing with a hefty hardware footprint.

Maverick
12-17-2005, 10:15 AM
Another strange thing in Aperture

Aperture uses all four processors on my Quad. Funnily enough not in Full-screen mode (where you can see teh image full screen and no menus etc clog your screen. Here it utilises only one processor. When you initiate "Auto stack" (which stacks pictures taken within a given timeframe) from within full screen mode only one processor is used. If you do the same in "normal mode", all four processors get used. What's even stranger, when one processor is maxed out (and therefore three are not) you can't change from Aperture to any other program (finder) as if the machine was totally busy - not the case when you're in "normal" mode and all four processors get used (about 60% each).

By the way, for some interesting reading on Aperture and its limitations, see http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-7887-8063

There are some serious flaws in Aperture, some of which tz mentioned. The biggest is the totally flawed import/export/ file management of Aperture making it very difficult to integrate in any professional (or serious amateur) workflow

Regards
Maverick