PDA

View Full Version : Capture One Pro setup suggestions?

catfell
11-07-2005, 10:58 AM
Anyone out there using Capture One Pro with a G5?

I'm looking to replace my 933G4 quicksilver with a new G5 desktop, and wanted to find out if there are any minimums or mods I should perform immediately?

I'm a professional photographer who processes a fair amount of D2X nef files.

I use the following software:

20% Photo Mechanic for renaming, editing and laying down IPTC info.
70% Capture One Pro for image correction and general processing.
5% Photoshop CS2 if there is anything that needs fixing after processing.

There is a wealth of Photoshop info on this board, but haven't seen much about Capture One Pro.

I was considering figuring out how to put three separate sata drives in the new machine and putting the system, home and scratch on the three separate drives. But if this setup only helps photoshop, I might not bother with the third drive and just keep my system and scratch on the same drive and put the users on the second internal sata.

All my external storage is on external FW drives, and I don't think I can afford a RAID5 setup yet.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

-catfell

catfell
11-07-2005, 01:38 PM
One more thing...

I've posted this on Capture One's forums and haven't heard from anyone, so I thought I would give you guys a try.

Anyone know if Capture One Pro takes advantage of dual processors or not?

-catfell

Nicolas
11-07-2005, 04:26 PM
Hello,

maybe Aperture (http://www.apple.com/aperture/) is an alternative?

Regards

Nicolas

kaye
11-07-2005, 06:32 PM
catfell,

I don't have the software but according to this (http://www.phaseone.com/Content/Software/TipsTricks/DualProcessing.aspx) it supports dual processors. k

catfell
11-08-2005, 12:14 AM
Kaye-

Thank you for finding that last link.

I have been sweating over putting a single processor upgrade into my venerable G4 933MHz or spending the extra cash and buying a dual processor or dual core G5. With the ultimate goal of buying a second gen Mactell desktop.

-catfell

kaye
11-08-2005, 06:43 AM
You are very welcome. I don't think any of us here, Members or Moderators, have ever heard of Capture One Pro, let alone use it. However maybe someone will chime in that uses it. Anyone?

For me, if I used it professionally 70% like you do, I would be curious to know how much RAM the application can utilize like Pshop CS2 does so well. That would not help you in your MDD but certainly would for your future plan of that G5. Perhaps you already know the answer to that? I am just curious.

Your questions:

I was considering figuring out how to put three separate sata drives in the new machine and putting the system, home and scratch on the three separate drives. But if this setup only helps photoshop, I might not bother with the third drive and just keep my system and scratch on the same drive and put the users on the second internal sata.

All my external storage is on external FW drives, and I don't think I can afford a RAID5 setup yet.
Of course we are talking about a Mactell desktop far in the future. One of the current problems with the G5 is heat inside because of the huge radiator and fans required to cool the dual processors. That requires a lot of space inside and leaves little room for more than 2 SATA drives. I would never add more drives inside of mine. But perhaps there will be additional room in the 2nd gen Mactell. I use Burlys for scratch and FW for backups of my critical data. My two internal SATA drives are the OEM 250GB drive and the fastest 300GB drive I could find at the time. The OEM drive is now my backup boot drive and the faster drive is my primary boot drive. I backup the primary to the OEM when I get the inclination such as before applying an OS update or after significant changes to iPhoto or iTunes data.

I am also technically challenged by installing users in another location so I don't do it but there are plenty of others here that do and TZ's FAQs have plenty of info on various ways to do that. Questions or comments? k

catfell
11-08-2005, 02:16 PM
Kaye,

Thanks for your suggestions not to exceed two internal drives in my imaginary new G6. I guess this means I'll have to use two drives until they make a PCIe SATA card.

Moving a home directory to a new drive isn't terribly hard, but since I only do it once every couple of years or so, I always screw something up, and it takes me a few tries and some online hand-holding. (Thanks Ricks.)

I have asked about how much RAM Capture One can effectively use, and am hoping for a quick answer from the Phase One guys.

Nicolas,

Thanks for the Aperture suggestion. I saw it at the PhotoExpo in NYC, and it looked pretty amazing, especially for a 1.0. However it's expensive, and the minimum hardware requirements are well beyond what's on my desk right now. Apple was showing off Aperture with dual core G5s with two 30" monitors at each station! I think once they get the bugs out of Aperture, it should be great tool. I know that currently there is no way to select individual camera profiles, which seems quite short sighted. I'm sure this is one of the things to get fixed in the next version.

Phase One is a very powerful program for working with raw camera files. It works with most types of raw files, and as far as I can tell, non-destructive. It looks like Apple's Aperture took a few cues from capture one. It takes a bit of getting used to, but I prefer it to Adobe CS2. I also am of the opinion that jpgs and tiffs look better processed with C1. At $500 it's not cheap, but I think there is a LE version that is much less expensive.

For anyone who processes a lot of raw files, I would highly reccomend.

If anyone out there has any setup suggestions specific to C1, I'd really appreciate it.

TZ
11-08-2005, 02:30 PM
If you don't want to dedicate another drive for /Users (or if you do) check out the thread "Changing Users" (http://www.macgurus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20965)

The G5 is going to remain viable for some time. Maybe a bump or two before the "G6" even. Or, if/when Apple has more G5 refurbished units on the Specials page of the Apple Store, you can grab a G5 w/ PCI-X and 8 RAM slots, rather than upgrade what you have. Dual 2.5 or 2.7. Or wait and see if there is a 'rev b" to the dual-core PCIe in 3-6 months.

For $371 there is a 2GHz G4 available from GigaDesigns which might be an 'immediate" speed fix. Although it looks like dual-core 2.0+ would be a good investment for the next two years.

Before there is a PCIe card, there will be a $29? adapter to use existing PCI/PCI-X in PCIe. Which will help in the transition and doesn't look to impose any penalty.

eric
11-08-2005, 03:01 PM
You are very welcome. I don't think any of us here, Members or Moderators, have ever heard of Capture One Pro, let alone use it. However maybe someone will chime in that uses it. Anyone? Woo hoo! At least I've heard of it. Actually first came across reading about Aperture, where several people mentioned that Aperature isn't so much a competitor to PS (although maybe just Bridge), rather a competitor to Capture One Pro. Certainly in the same price range.

Read very good things about Capture One Pro although they go back several years.

Just got into RAW a few months back and I see the power of the format. However, I'd mucked about only with Canon Image Browser, and now Digital Photo Pro -- that latter much better.

If I get into RAW more, I'm thinking I've got lay down the green for something, maybe Aperature or Capture One Pro depending on which might suit my G4 based machines.

Catfell, sorry none of us here can help you out much with first hand knowledge. But maybe you can give us some indications about the app. Does it have a scratch disk setting like PS?

Kaye, I wonder if the in-the-armchair theory might be to keep the RAW files one disk, with the destination for the processed images on another. The apps basically got to read and process the RAW, and output a processed image, e.g. JPEG and TIFF. In theory then, wouldn't it be best since this stuff's going on at the same time to get a disk for input, and a disk for output. Otherwise, on a single disk setup, the heads are slapping around all over the place. Maybe it's similar to what I do with FCP for iDVD prep. All my media for FPC sits on media drive, but I export a self contained movie to another drive. Seems to go faster, although I've never timed it. Your thoughts?

I suppose I could if I get some time to run some test with say the DA and Canon's Digital Photo Pro to see if I get any speed difference from one v. two HDs.

catfell
11-08-2005, 04:40 PM
Eric,

As far as I can tell, there is no cache or scratch disk setting.

When you create a new session, you direct the program to where your captures are, and in the process C1 makes folders named processed and trash for that session. Normally it puts the processed and trash folders alongside the captures folder, but you can direct any of the folders anywere you would like, so I suppose I should start putting my processed folder on a different drive, to improve processing speed. It also makes a settings folder in your captures folder with three subfolders, imagesettings, previews and thumbnails.

Depending on how you set up your windows, I have two monitors and keep my previews/thumbnails on one screen and the image adjustment window on my primary monitor.

When you make any changes to an image, it saves the info in a file that terminates with the suffix .plist that corresponds to your original raw file.

So I assume that in order to speed things up, the drive that contains your captures should be pretty speedy.

When you make any changes, you are changing the recipe for how you want the raw file processed. Currently I have not found a way to save multiple recipies for one raw file.

After you adjust your captures, you select which files you want to process. You have a choice of tiff or jpg, and have complete control over what size and what resolution your output will be.

You can process different versions of the same file, you just have to change the settings in the process window. For bigger jobs, I tend to do my processing when I'm not using the computer, like when I'm asleep.

There are two processing engines, one that is primarily for jpgs and one that is made for making tiffs. The tiff engine is much slower than the jpg. But you can make jpgs with either. I haven't compared which jpg looks better, I'm more interested in getting the job processed and out the door.

Also, if you're using a Canon dslr, C1 will allow you to shoot tethered and the images seem to download as fast as your buffer will send them out. You can also remotely control a tethered camera, and control most of the settings from your computer.

I'm a Nikon guy, and there is a way to use Nikon's capture software to put the captures in C1's captures folder and shoot tethered that way.

Apparently it's clunky, and it's Nikon's fault. They don't include in their SDK (software developer kit) tetherablilty. I'm very annoyed that Nikon is so secret, but I'm extremely happy with the way their camera work. Let it be known I'm not a Canon hater, I just prefer Nikon.

I would suggest when you're shopping for a raw processor that you look at third party software. Canon and Nikon's raw processing software is IMHO very clunky. They make good cameras and lousy software. I'm pretty sure there are several choices out there.

I'll let you know how moving the processed folder to a different drive effects processing speed.

CyclopsImages
11-09-2005, 09:36 AM
I use Capture One Pro and do so on Powerbook and G5 iMac.
As far as I can tell COP likes 2Gb of RAM and works best with this amount.
It is significantly faster than my PB even though I have 2GB on there as well.
Mostly quicker in the Processing.
Not sure if this helps....

W