PDA

View Full Version : NTSC monitor for broadcast

juju5
10-12-2005, 05:06 PM
Hi,
Is it necessary to get a professional NTSC monitor (like the SOny PVM14L2) if what I'm doing is going to broadcast? I'm doing a combo of film and 2d animation, ultimate destination is broadcast. I've heard arguments for and against (the one against being that it's an overpriced waste of money.)
Thanks.

despaxas
10-13-2005, 07:22 AM
If you were just doing film transfer and edit to a broadcast format like DigiBeta or whatever, you could get away with just running a Broadcast Safe filter and it would make sure all of your levels were legal. But since you are compositing and using computer generated graphics, you must use an external TV monitor to check your colors, and to make sure they are not too saturated for broadcast. Also, waveform monitors are very useful for double checking yourself, and most programs have them built in.

juju5
10-13-2005, 07:30 AM
Thanks. Do I need to buy a professional tv monitor--like the sony or jvc, or can I get away with a standard 13" tv monitor (from walmart or bestbuy)? BTW, I'm using an NTSC palatte with my software so I know the colors won't be over-saturated--at least for the 2d animation I'm doing.

despaxas
10-14-2005, 08:37 AM
A consumer 13" would work fine for you, just don't go with the cheapest. I would recommend a Phillips or JVC. Pro monitors are accurate and last forever (still using one from 1984) but not essential if you are using NTSC safe colors.

juju5
10-14-2005, 09:27 AM
Thanks so much. I kind of thought that. I'm actually, at this point, leaning towards getting a good pro monitor--one of the cheaper ones that run aroung $500--only because it looks like I might end up incorporating dv into the project I'm doing. But great advice. Thanks.