PDA

View Full Version : xserve HD upgrade

jacob
09-26-2005, 01:40 PM
I'm thinking about upgrading the stock drives in our XSERVE to the new Hitachie 16MB 500GB drives.

Any words of wisdom or warnings from anyone who has messed with their xserve?

While I'm at it, I may also change the SYS drive to a raptor or a 16mb 7200

unclemac
09-26-2005, 02:50 PM
Wish I could say that I have....but no non-Apple drives yet.

I remember way-back-when it was rumored that non-Apple drives would not report all of the stats that you get with the Admin tool, because of missing special firmware, but I don't think that is the case.

Wonder how much better the 16M drives will do....the Xserve RAID has its own cache modual that supercedes the drives, but on the exserve itself, I would think you should see a more snappy OS and any services that hit small files repeatedly. Could be really nice.

If you have time if/when you do it, it would be great to see the before and after bench marks for HD performance. :)

jacob
09-26-2005, 02:57 PM
I think I could arrange that. But wouldn't a 80% full mirrored RAID perform differently than a 40% full one? Yes, I mirror the 2 storage modules.

If you have time if/when you do it, it would be great to see the before and after bench marks for HD performance. :)

And I remember something about smart status not working with non-apple drives, but I can't find anything about it now.

I suppose I could just test with a drive I have already before buying the 2 500GBs...

jacob
09-26-2005, 06:26 PM
ok, so I tested with a Hitachi Deskstar 7K80 80GB Serial ATA II 7200RPM.

works fine. SMART status, everything else is cool.

So I am sure the big brother of this one, the 500GB will work dandy.

Since I mirror bay 2 and 3, I will only have 500GB in total, but it is a nice upgrade from the measly 250GB we have now-- and I dont have to jump to an XRAID or something similar yet.

As for bay 1, the SYS, I still am tempted to put a raptor in there.

But this is, for now, about storage. The xserve is working fine for us otherwise.

unclemac
09-27-2005, 05:37 AM
Great!

I am sure you are correct, big brother will be fine. We have added some storage along the way, but always had to buy Apple trays..... About time to do the same on at least one box here.

Yeah, I'm sure your scores will differ as you say, but it may still be interesting to see..... Just a thought.

A current Raptor would be a screamer of a boot drive.... I noticed Apple recently added them as an option for BTO Xserves. No mention of brand, but the 10,000 RPMs is a bit of a tipoff.

Using SoftRaid, or Apple DU for the mirror?

jacob
09-27-2005, 06:01 AM
Apple DU

Using SoftRaid, or Apple DU for the mirror?

For the sys/1 tray, I actually have a 2nd tray with a drive which is a copy, in the event the server gets weird -- anyone can then just shut down and get the thing working again until I come back and tool around with it.
We actually had to do that once already, so it was worth it. I think if I went to a raptor SYS/1, the backup drive would not be a raptor.

jacob
09-29-2005, 05:24 PM
bad news.

The big brother is not happy in the xserve.
No smart status and No activity lights.

I may just live with it as is. Its bigger and badder.
They are mirrored so the smart status doesn't do much for me anyway. As for activity lights.... they just look cool.