PDA

View Full Version : So Confuzed

Blue and white G3
09-18-2005, 05:02 PM
Hi. Im new to this forum,but anyway i hve a annoying question. I hve a Blue and white Mac G3 model and i am trying to play games on it like Warcraft 3:Frozen throne,and Neverwinter Nights. My problem is that the framerate is soooooo slow,and the game eventually decreases into .00003 frames per second. I am wondering what should I get to boost its performance? :confused:

rguising
09-18-2005, 05:13 PM
Is it a stock G3 (and what speed?).

Has the video card been upgraded?

How about the Memory?

Hard drive size?

The Blue and White G3 is near 7 years old (from the January 1999 release date). WC3 and NWN are both modern games and you are trying to run them on a very old computer.

Having said this... if this is a Daystar 550-700MHz G4, or a PowerLogix 1.1GHz, with full ram (1gb?) and a Radeon 9200 then you 'might' have a chance to run these games...

Just let us know what you have to start with and we will try to make a suggestion or two.

Blue and white G3
09-18-2005, 05:21 PM
It is a stock G3,the speed is 350Mhz,The card is still the standard ATI 128 Rage, the memory is 384 Mb, the hard drive has 4.95 Gb available, But i hve installed a panther operating system on it,so it at least runs a little better.

TZ
09-18-2005, 05:33 PM
Check the B&W Upgrade References... OS X has more need for hardware.
Radeon something video.
8 nanosecond RAM (any 64MB SDRAM is trouble). 512MB is what most consider minimum and now Apple agrees.
boot volume should have 25% free space minimum and at least what you have 4.5GB free. More is better.

MacGurus has excellent price and quality on 256MB SDRAMs.
Either of the cpu upgrades mentioned (I have the PL G3 1.0GHz in mine).

Also, consider getting a PCI drive controller. Serial ATA would be best bet cost and performance wise and you can use it in the future. At least one if not two SATA drives.

That said, $100 RAM, $200 cpu, $150 for SATA drive/controller, $120 for Radeon video card... it begins to look more beneficial to look at a base system that has some of that or can be upgraded further. This way, you can do it one step at a time, but it is a total approach.

Disk drives need to be upgraded eveery 2-3 yrs probably. Makes a big difference. I myself use a 15K boot drive for Tiger, and an ATA drive for data.

Blue and white G3
09-18-2005, 05:40 PM
Ty for the input. Due to my limited finances,i think im going to try to gun for the RAM,and the graphics card,anymore than that would probaly free me for money,and with those two items in tow,im sure that the performance will at least speed up some,if not to an at least slightly tolerable level......ah well..........
:cool: :o

rguising
09-18-2005, 05:44 PM
Great, well the good news is, you have lots of room and options for upgrades:

Requirements from Blizzard's WC3 site:

Macintosh¨ OS 9.0 or higher/ Mac OS X 10.1.3. or higher:

400 MHz G3 processor
128 MB of RAM
16 MB ATI Technologies or nVidia chipset 3D video card
700 MB HD space
4X CD-ROM drive

And then the NWN site:

Processor 450MHz G4 or faster processor
Operating System Mac OS X version 10.2.6 or higher
RAM 256 MB
Hard Disk Installation 2.1 GB
Video Card 32 MB or higher video card
Multiplayer TCP/IP via LAN or Internet

So, you really need a faster CPU. Probably could get by with a 450 G3 for the Blizzard game (Ebay item). Alternatively, a PowerLogix 900-1100MHz CPU would be good enough for both games. (might HAVE to have a G4 for NWN, an email to their tech support would confirm or deny).

MacGurus used to carry the Daystar G4 upgrades (also sold elsewhere) and these have been very reliable and have a great following. I have used several and have been happy. BUT MHz does matter and a 1.1GHz would most likely be better for fast moving graphics.

THE whole problem is.. you can buy a REFURB Apple Mini for $399 which includes the Tiger OS and a 1.25 G4 / warranty etc. Its hard to justfiy spending $200 on an upgrade when you factor this in.

My recommendation, since you are starting from scratch, is sell off the G3 (ebay or craigslist, or here in the marketplace) and put the $200 with and buy a new mac mini.

biggles
09-19-2005, 03:36 AM
sell off the G3 (ebay or craigslist, or here in the marketplace) and put the $200 with and buy a new mac mini.
If you want to stay with Mac OSX then I'd agree with that. NWN expansion packs like Hordes of the Underdark require an 800MHz G4 (mimimum, 1.2GHz or faster recommended), and you can't get there with a B&W.

Upgrading a B&W is fun, you'll learn more than you ever thought you wanted to know about Mac's, but it will nickle-and-dime you to death and you'll still wind up with and old slow machine. I know, I've done it.