PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop CS2 running slower in Tiger?

speters1
08-04-2005, 03:52 PM
I ran this test with both CS and CS2, both where slower in Tiger. There are two portions of this test where Tiger is slower than Panther. Those test are convert to profile and a change to rgb. In Panther convert to profile took 10.6sec, change to rgb took 15.1 sec. In Tiger they took 20.8, and 27.6, respectively. I left everything the same, same photoshop settings, same scratch drives etc. The only difference was that Tiger was installed on a faster hard drive that Panther. Anyone else notice the difference?

speters1
08-05-2005, 12:12 PM
Boots, Did you ever get a answer back from Adobe about the slowness is steps 10 & 12?

Boots
08-07-2005, 01:53 PM
No, I never did get an answer about that....but-

Based on just these two test steps, I don't think we can say that CS2 is generally slower than CS1. In fact, many users report faster overall performance. PSCS2 is using dual processors on more operations than CS1 does, and the new memory management and scratch disk performance features greatly extend high-speed performance on large files...

speters1
08-07-2005, 02:04 PM
I was not saying that CS2 is slower thatn CS. I was saying that CS2 and CS are slower in Tiger, than in Panther. I found that both CS and CS2 had slower times in step 10 and 12. In Panther convert to profile took 10.6sec, change to rgb took 15.1 sec. In Tiger they took 20.8, and 27.6, respectively. I left everything the same. I tried turning off Spotlight and Dashboard and this did not make any difference. I am running a Dual 2ghz G5, 6g ram, UL4D, 4 x Cheetah 15K.3 and 2x Atlas 15k II. Am I the only person that is still having this problem?

kaye
08-07-2005, 10:04 PM
My G5 shipped with Tiger. It has never seen Panther. I'm no help there. k

TZ
08-08-2005, 06:35 AM
I don't want to get into how to, but you do need to disable things like Spotlight in Tiger.

kaye
08-08-2005, 07:04 AM
And with the utilities I have for disabling Spotlight and Dashboard, you must reboot for the change to take effect. k

speters1
08-08-2005, 01:12 PM
Which utility did you use? There are a few out there. I read how to do it in the terminal, but I have never really worked in the terminal, so the directions I found where not exactly clear about how actually type and enter the info into the terminal. I know that you can mess things up by typing in the wrong thing, so I decided to stay clear. I did found one utility (Disable Tiger Features), but you also lose the find features of spotlight, and after reading about how to disable the terminal, I know that there are different ways of going about it. I am not sure if the utility I used was the best. I found minimal to no changes in the test, and no effect on step 10 and 12, and I did reboot.
I really don't want to have to go back and re-install Panther, and all of my apps and settings. I read that you have to do a clean install, if you are going to be putting Panther over Tiger. So I want to make sure that I am not missing something with my CS2/Tiger setup. I do have Bigger Tiles enabled. I also had a plugin, unlimited Preview size installed. I tried taking it out, and it did not really have any effect.
Thanks,
steve

kaye
08-08-2005, 02:08 PM
Steve,

I use Spotless for Spotlight and use Disable Tiger Features for Dashboard even tho it will also disable/enable Spotlight too. Further, I use SoftRAID 3.2 for my RAID, 128KB stripe units, not journaled. k

speters1
08-08-2005, 03:53 PM
I read that this also disables the find feature. So do you just go with out being able to use the find feature?

speters1
08-08-2005, 08:12 PM
Chris Cox just said that once spotlight is done indexing, it should no longer effect photoshop?

kaye
08-08-2005, 08:59 PM
Disabling Spotlight does disable the find feature. But for purposes of the test, I don't want Spotlight indexing the scratch RAID and whatever else is going on with the boot and Pshop drive. Also don't want journaling of the RAID. k

TZ
08-09-2005, 07:48 AM
My understanding is that with some systems and apps, just creating temp files etc will trigger Spotlight and interfere...

Boots
09-30-2005, 08:51 AM
I ran this test with both CS and CS2, both where slower in Tiger. There are two portions of this test where Tiger is slower than Panther. Those test are convert to profile and a change to rgb. In Panther convert to profile took 10.6sec, change to rgb took 15.1 sec. In Tiger they took 20.8, and 27.6, respectively. I left everything the same, same photoshop settings, same scratch drives etc.

Steve, thanks for pointing this out. I have since verified your results in a more comprehensive set of tests here (http://www.macgurus.com/forums/showpost.php?p=91041&postcount=49).

Once I get to the bottom of what is making these two PshopTest steps slower in CS2/Panther, CS/Tiger, and CS2/Tiger- perhaps I can re-design PshopTest appropriately. To have the test results heavily influenced by just these two steps out of the many possible commands and filters in Photoshop seems unacceptable really....

My understanding is that with some systems and apps, just creating temp files etc will trigger Spotlight and interfere...

Another member has reported temp files made in the User directory when Smart Objects are used in CS2. These are in addition to the traditional temp files made on the designated scratch disk. So even with Spotlight turned off for an external scratch RAID let's say, a bit of indexing could still occur on the User drive if Spotlight is not disabled for that drive as well.
I'm going to investigate that particular issue too...