PDA

View Full Version : Resequencing iphoto images?

vince42
07-20-2005, 12:46 PM
We used two different memory sticks, a burnt CD and also some scanned negatives to record our vacation. I have been trying to splice together all the above to make one chronological vacation. There are about 390 photos. I have tried to resequence them in an Album as well as photo library, but no such luck. When I try to burn a CD in iPhoto or Toast they go back to their original sequence they were imported. I have tried to export the renumbered album, and than import it back as a different file, but no luck. Is there an easy way to do this? Can any one help me out with some information? Vince

M.Brane
07-20-2005, 09:12 PM
Welcome to the Gurus forum Vince.

In iPhoto preferences there is a checkbox that says: Place most recent photos at the top.

Have you unchecked that box?

Also under the View menu there is an option to arrange the photos by film roll, date, title, or manually. Have you tried that?

Just grasping at straws here as I am new to X, and haven't played with iPhoto much. I'm sure there's someone else here that knows more. hang in there. ;)

vince42
07-22-2005, 05:45 AM
Thanks for the reply. Tried all of those suggestions in the iPhoto 2.0 program, but they still are in the original file named sequence imported from OS10.3 Picture folder when I try to burn a DVD. IÕm hoping there is an easier way than to retitle the images in the Picture folder before importing than into iPhoto. That would be a very time consuming and difficult with that many files. Wonder if anyone else has some suggestions or software that would work?

TZ
07-22-2005, 07:17 AM
Why not try iPhoto/iLive '05, and kick the beta where it belongs?

vince42
07-24-2005, 05:23 AM
Will iPhoto 5.0 allow you to resquence your photos in a photo album and than burn them in that same order? I donÕt mind investing the $80 for iLife if that will do the job, but donÕt want to spend money on software that I canÕt use. Vince

kaye
07-24-2005, 06:03 AM
Vince,

The latest iPhoto 5.0.3 update is only to be used for 10.3.3 and later, just in case you are using an earlier Panther version. Plus this update apparently has problems for some http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20050722011032321

I have a similar problem that you have but confess I have not yet started the project, just under 500 digital photos my wife took of a recent trip to Norway with an old Canon A40. Unfortunately that camera will not imprint date and time on the photo. I know that if I do any enhancing or rotating in iPhoto from past experience with previous versions of iPhoto, the date and time of the jpeg file changes. If I only enhance or rotate some of the photos, they end up at the end of the project because the file changes. Won't help the Norway project but as of yesterday she now uses a Canon A75 that offers the option of date and time stamp on the photo so that I can keep them in order hopefully.

Have to get to that because I want to burn some DVDs with iDVD as a slideshow complete with Norwegian music. k

vince42
07-25-2005, 05:52 AM
Thanks for information on iLifes iphoto problems. I am currntly running 10.3.9 and was considering purchasing iLife for upgraded iphoto5.0. Now not sure I want to invest in a buggy progam until that is fixed. Do you or other reads know if the most resent OS updates have fixed these problems?

I have gone back into the Picture folder and renumbered and lettered the different groups of vacations slides in a single vacation folder. Pretty time consumning, but the only solution I can think of at this point. Wish there was an easier way. Vince

kaye
08-02-2005, 09:53 AM
Vince,

Am working on that Norway project in 10.4.2. iPhoto v5.0.4 now, apparently updated to resolve the previous problems with v5.0.3, works fine for me. As M. Brane sez, there are a number of options for resequencing the slide order. Some things I really like about iPhoto is its capability to rotate, to remove Red-Eye (sometimes you have to zoom in with the bottom right slider to do that) and the Enhance function which automatically adjusts color and contrast. I do rotate if necessary, then Red-Eye before Enhance. Enhance does not always do a good job so I do each individually. Maybe 95% are great enhanced, the other 5% I just undo.

One change from previous iLife versions is that iPhoto now sequences in original date and time, not modified date and time. Every photo that you rotate, Red-Eye, or Enhance has a new modified date, but the order for me remains with original date and time.

I downloaded some Norway music within iTunes from the Apple Music Store and created a Norway folder with the tunes for iDVD 5.0.1. iDVD looks for the slides in iPhoto and music in iTunes. Click the Customize button, select Media, and choose Photos or Audio. There are also some great new Themes in iDVD 5.0.1.

Set up the iDVD preferences at the start of a project. Lots of tips there but for sure do not check "Always scale slides to TV Safe area". TVs need some overscan otherwise the vertical edges and sometimes the horizontal edges will be wavy. Looks bad on a TV with that box checked.

Almost forgot, iDVD 5.0.1 still has a max of 99 slides per chapter. I just created 5 chapters or whatever they are called. k

TZ
08-02-2005, 12:12 PM
Take a look at:
http://www.macintouch.com/iphoto14.html#aug02