PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Server software fizzles in G-4

MacsGalore
07-14-2005, 11:37 AM
Tried to install Tiger on my Test Server in my office to see how it works and get familiar with it. (non-essential stuff on this machine, not my main workstation.)
What a wretched idea!
It's a G-4 Digital Audio running 10.3.6 Server software with a small RAID attached; had 57 Gb free, has been running fine.

Initial Upgrade install failed--froze after a few minutes on Disk one.
On Restart- got Kernel Panic text message
Restarted and ran Repair permissions/Repair disk.
Proceeded to do a Replace/Erase install-- Upgrade Not an option anymore.
"Installation cannot be completed" error after one minute.
Clicked "Restart" from cd install disk and noticed the system software on computer was showing 10.4 (even tho installation failed.)
On Reboot, (with 10.4 install cd still in cd bay)got blank gray screen
Detached RAID--no other peripherals attached.
On Reboot, (with 10.4 install cd still in cd bay) got folder with ? mark
Tried to eject cd from keyboard and by pushing tray button, Will not budge
On Reboot, holding down "C" key with 10.4 install cd still in cd bay, got blank gray screen
On Reboot, started up from Firmware and tried Command line "eject cd" - would not work
Tried rebooting with Mouse click held down. Nada.
Tried starting up with Shift key--Nada--gray blank screen
Could not eject cd--inserted paper clip. Manually ejected and inserted 10.3 Install disk.
Reboots to folder with ? mark
I noticed that the cd light never goes green--blinks amber.
Still can't eject cd. Paper clip not working now.

Maybe the optical drive is busted--can I boot from system cd in External cd drive?
Any thoughts?

TZ
07-14-2005, 11:58 AM
Maybe list what hardware, what PCI cards, whether you've tested the memory.

Upgrade in place? Backup first?

Boot into Open Firmware only this time clear nvram.

MacsGalore
07-14-2005, 01:55 PM
It's a G-4 Digital Audio running 10.3.6 Server software with a small RAID attached; had 57 Gb free, has been running fine.
Has 1.5 Gb RAM
Has a ATTO ExpressPCIProLVD card
Has a 90Gb hd partitioned into a 60 and a 30

Tried upgrade path first on install.
(No backup done--running stripped down machine for testing purposes only.)

- Reset nvram and PRAM in Open Firmware
- Tried booting from Firewire hd with Tiger install DVD disk copied via Disk Utility "Restore"
- Got blue screen with two arrows--no volume mounts in between arrows.
- Tried booting with Install cd in tray again holding down Option key---same as above: 2 arrows, no cd icon.

TZ
07-14-2005, 02:56 PM
Can you tell me what ATTO card? Pro LVD doesn't tell me enough.

I assume the RAID hosts non-system stuff off the ATTO.

RAM that worked in 10.3.6 might 'break' and sometimes I've seen someone need to zero an ATA drive - most likely a bad block (if the block is in the partition maps, or boot blocks, you have to reformat - you did say you tried to erase/partition and had trouble, how about zero-all?).

MacsGalore
07-14-2005, 03:14 PM
RAID hosts NON system data. Disconnected it long ago...
ATTO card= UL2S

Tried upgrade path on Tiger install first--then opted for Erase mode. That failed as well.

I can't get any cds to mount or I would try to reformat the HD with a utility.

FW Target mode: gave it a try as well:

The G-4 30Gb hd mounted on my G-5 as a FW target disk.
I attached another FW hd drive on which I had copied Tiger to (using Restore tools in Disk Utility to make it fully bootable.)

I thought I could just copy all these folders (System, Utilities) etc. over to the 30 Gb hd from the G-4 because when I inserted the Tiger Install dvd in the G-5, it asks to restart THAT computer...

I was surprised when I rebooted the G-4 and it STILL comes up with a ? folder.

Booting holding the Option key STILL won't show any volumes from which to choose.

unclemac
07-14-2005, 03:16 PM
Yes, start with RAM and SCSI.

FWIW, did a clean install of Server 10.4 on a MDD DP 1G, with mirrored internal ATA drives, and it has been rock solid and perfect. Upgraded to 10.4.1 with no issues. Getting ready to do the 10.4.2, but it is offsite and cannot lay hands on it until tomorrow.

Nothing to add about the optical drive....did what I would suggest. There is always a PMU reset, but not likely to help if OF reset did not.

How about yanking SCSI and trying an ATA drive just to rule SCSI out?

unclemac
07-14-2005, 03:18 PM
UL2S is pretty old and thus would be a prime suspect for me.

MacsGalore
07-14-2005, 03:31 PM
I yanked the ATTO card.

Still getting a blank? folder on straight reboot, or the Blue screen/2 arrows with the option key.

:mad:

MacsGalore
07-14-2005, 04:27 PM
Used Target mode FW to install Tiger from G-5 to the G-4 onto the 30Gb hd.

Setting up server configs now and zeroing out 60 Gb hd to be safe.
Will add in ATTO card again to see if computer will boot w/ it installed.

If not, it must have been the culprit.

Thanks for assist! :D

TZ
07-15-2005, 05:11 AM
While some people have managed to use UL2D, the firmware often had to be downgraded, and it isn't supported. Either go with SATA or you need UL3S/D. There are no drivers for the UL2S/D.

unclemac
07-15-2005, 08:46 AM
Still getting a blank? folder on straight reboot, or the Blue screen/2 arrows with the option key.

Sounds right. Flashing ? means no valid system folder found, and basically the same thing when you boot to firmware by holding down the option key: only valid system folders are displayed, not empty drives.

Hopefully you are good to go now.

If you wanna add a little go-go for not too much $$, I would retire the old SCSI consider SATA, or go UL3S like TZ said.

MacsGalore
07-15-2005, 10:37 AM
Not only was my cd drive dead (worked the first time with an install disk, then failed--go figure) but the ATTO card is NOT compatible with Tiger.

Double Whammy.

Ordered new hardware...Tiger is running. Life is good.

Thanks for your feedback!