PDA

View Full Version : need video card advice

Mike S
07-13-2005, 09:30 AM
I have a G4 sawtooth with a Rage 128 vga card running Panther. I am running a sony 17" monitor now and have just bought a Dell 2005FPW. I would like to run both monitors with seperate cards for Photoshop use. I know nothing about video cards. Should I replace my Rage 128 and get a new card for the Dell and a new card for the Sony? Or just a new card for the Dell? And which card is good for my computer?
I checked the forums and either did not understand what I was reading or just could not find an answer specific to my situation so I thank anyone who can help me.

TZ
07-13-2005, 09:48 AM
The ATI Radeon 9800ME 128MB maybe. It does need 300W power supply, draws 75W, and adds heat, it runs hot. And ATI no longer lists it as a shipping item though you can still find them for $200-249 or less.

The other option is the 9000. both are AGP, and should be able to handle two monitors.

Ditch the Rage totally. If you want a 2nd card, then the Radeon 9200 PCI is you bet, though it depends on what your needs are.

unclemac
07-13-2005, 10:43 AM
You can use adapters to use most any combination of monitors, but the easiest thing is to use one VGA and one DVI monitor. Plug and play. Lots of current LCDs have both DVI and VGA out, whereas most CRTs have VGA out.

Do keep track of the ports on the card you get. Some OEM video cards sold by Apple have their own digital port called ADC instead of DVI...a pain in the butt unless you have an Apple ADC monitor.

Something like this (http://www.clubmac.com/clubmac/shop/detail~dpno~260126.asp) or this (http://www.clubmac.com/clubmac/shop/detail~dpno~430747.asp) has DVI and VGA and is ready to go.

wolfpweb
07-13-2005, 07:41 PM
To the above competent suggestions, I'd like to add just a few cents...

Especially in case U don't want to (or can't) spend too much Green.

The ATI Rage Pro 128 AGP that came in my 2000 G4 GigE is still in service in the same unit, driving a hi-res 19" ElectronBlue... A good card, indeed! With a PCI card I used to run a 2nd screen, an sgi lcd... Since I upgraded to a Sonnet Encore CPU that is no longer possible in that computer. If U intend to keep Ur old processor or -even- if U'd upgrade to a GigaBump, U could still run Ur 2nd monitor via an inexpensive PCI card.

Just a thought. An inexpensive one at that.