PDA

View Full Version : PC / Mac DVD burners what is the difference

Crispychris
07-07-2005, 12:01 PM
So there are lots of places you can buy internal DVD burners like the "Pioneer DVR-109" but are they all the same or are some made for the mac and others for a PC? Is the an internal firmware difference?
What I am trying to ask is can I buy a Pioneer DVR-109 from a PC supplies shop and it will slot straight in to my G4 tower and run?
Sorry if this is a dim question.

despaxas
07-07-2005, 02:49 PM
As far as the Pioneer DVD burners go, yes, a retail version will work great in a G4.

rdgraph
07-08-2005, 12:45 PM
I just installed a DVR-109 in my G4 Digital Audio tower and it works great. There is a firmware update for it if you're interested but read and understand the risks etc.
I have had to install Patchburn in order to use iDVD but it's working flawlessly now.

ricercar
07-11-2005, 04:23 PM
The days of Apple software being intentionally incompatible with non-Apple DVD firmware are mostly over.

My friend uses an OEM Pioneer A104 burner with iMovie and iDVD and [that other expensive Apple movie software]. The drive is recognized just fine. He saved something like $300 off the Apple version of the same OEM hardware.

Firmware updaters for DVD burners are often available only in Windows versions, so you should probably read reviews to ensure you buy a burner with firmware you won't have to update (unless you have a Windows computer available).

unclemac
07-11-2005, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the info. Any feelings about generic/PC slim laptop type drives?