PDA

View Full Version : DVD to CD or iTunes

Tim Fleischer
07-05-2005, 11:44 AM
I have several DVDs of music that I would like to capture the audio and reproduce it on either iTunes or CD (or both). I am using OS 10.3.9 with a DVD slot (not DVD recordable, though). Any advice on this would be appreciated, as long as the solution doesn't cost an arm and leg.... I only have a few DVDs that I would like to do this with.

I am not a pro at audio or video.

despaxas
07-05-2005, 03:56 PM
There are a couple apps that you'll need. Either YadeX or OSex to demux the audio and video files from the .VOB file. Yade is nice because it has a built in viewer. The audio file will most likely be .AC3 and you will need an app like mAC3decoder to convert it to .aif for use in iTunes or whatever. The other type of file you might get is .pcm which is better for audio quality since it's uncompressed, but it's a pain to convert. The app I used to use was called either Missing MPEG Tools or More MPEG Tools or something like that, but there is probably something newer by now.

I forgot to add that the sample rate for audio CDs is 44.1KHz and the files you will get from the DVD will be 48KHz (or rarely 96KHz) and you will need QuickTime Pro or something similar to convert (dither) the sample rate down to 44.1KHz.

cowboyonamac
07-06-2005, 12:15 PM
Wiretap® Pro (http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/wiretap/) is an excellent tool for this, if you don't mind doing a little "hands on" recording. I began using it when it was still in a beta stage, and it was free. It has a price of $19.99 now, but it is well worth the cost. You can record sound snippets from your favorite DVD movie, digitize your old record collection, record streaming audio from the Internet, or even use your iPod as a personal Dictaphone.

WireTap Pro can save your digital recordings in the popular .mp3, AAC, QuickTime, and AIFF file formats, saving them to your hard drive for later processing/listening. WireTap Pro can also save your recordings directly into iTunes, or onto your iPod or other iTunes-compatible .mp3 player. You have total control over the file format, compression, and quality of your recordings.

Using presets, you can automatically save your digital music in high quality .mp3 format, your voice recordings in a more compressed, space-saving AAC format, or your DVD clips in uncompressed AIFF format... all with the click of one button. But wait, it gets better.

To facilitate recording streaming audio from the Internet, WireTap Pro integrates tightly with Apple's iCal, allowing you to schedule recording sessions that will automatically start up a streaming audio feed, and record it unattended. Never miss your favorite BBC Radio or NPR program again!

Even better: WireTap Pro recording sessions can be saved as "Packaged Sessions" that you can download, or send to a friend. Just a double-click will instantly make that recording session available to anyone who has WireTap Pro.

WireTap Pro's simple, appliance-like user interface and broad feature set makes it the total audio recording solution. It's even fun to use.

I have been using this little gadget since I was on 10.2.4 and it is really cool. It will record any sound that goes through your sound device.

kenji
07-07-2005, 04:52 AM
i use Audio Hijack Pro. It's cool with all those built-in effects, I can even make the music like a Live recording by adding reverb. :D