PDA

View Full Version : Two Monitors for Photoshop

alahag
06-28-2005, 11:24 AM
My wife has finally bought a new LCD Princeton 1917 19" to use with her 1Ghz duo G4.

I order to do good color matching she has also purchased a used Flat Screen CRT P225FB Viewsonic. The Princeton has two video inputs one VGA analog and 24 pin DVI. The Viewsonic is a VGA input.

The G4 of course has two outputs. One is VGA, and I think the other is something called ADC. I thought the Princeton would plug into the ADC port, but it does not.

Now to the problem. We want to be able to run both monitors. at the same time. What do we need to get in order to be able to do this.

Should we be looking for an ADC to VGA adapter?

Is the G4 able to handle two monitors without an upgrade?

If we need an upgrade what should we be getting and where do we look,

Fred

TZ
06-28-2005, 11:38 AM
Only Apple displays use to use ADC. Yes, you can buy an ADC-2-VGA adapter from Apple, DRBott, and others, for $29.

Yes, you can use both, each will get half the video RAM. Or you could get Radeon 9200 PCI for one.

Apple Store Specials has 20" ADC (I think) for $699 also. The P225 is a nice 20" viewable CRT. I use to have my eye on those.

You could get the Radeon 9800 ME, but ATI no longer lists it as a currently selling model, it does make 'some noise' from the fan, and uses 75W for the card. The other option is the 9000 Pro which costs about same as the 9200. I'd put one on the 9200 if you have an available PCI slot.

alahag
06-28-2005, 12:31 PM
Where would be the best place to look for a PCI Card and what kind of cost are we looking at.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that sharing the RAM may make the response times on the two monitors seem very slow.

I think that the G4 has a NVDA NV17 GE Force 4MX video card... (HA!)
not sure what all that even means.

Beth wanted a CRT. is the 20" Apple a CRT?? and where would you get one. I think she feels the LCD color is not up to par with a good CRT as yet and wants to retain the CRT for color matching.

Fred

TZ
06-28-2005, 12:58 PM
Where would be the best place to look for a PCI Card and what kind of cost are we looking at. Ted,

The Radeon 9000 and 9200 are both the same, ~US$120. The 9800ME is $249. www.ati.com (http://www.ati.com) or anyplace that sells Mac video cards.

You already have both monitors, no? Apple only makes LCDs for years. Have you ever looked at store.apple.com and the specials button is on the lower right. And the Cinema Displays are fine today. In many cases one monitor can do the work of having a 2nd monitor.

You can and should check www.xlr8yourmac.com (http://www.xlr8yourmac.com) for upgrades, reports, as it is quite extensive. Oh, and one of the most popular monitors is the Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW (http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-4221&link_number=) (24-inch Wide Aspect $960) as discussed here. (http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com/ubb/Forum29/HTML/001297.html) First heard comments about it on www.MacIntouch.com (http://www.MacIntouch.com) and compares more than just "favorable" to Apple's 23" Cinema that costs much more.

Do you have QS/2002 or MDD?
www.apple.com/support/ (http://www.apple.com/support/) has specs, manual, and more.

[Edit Eric: Fixed a link]

alahag
06-28-2005, 03:23 PM
I am not sure what QS/2002 or MDD means...

So cannot reply to your question.

Yes we have already purchased the displays. I will check out the sites you have mentioned. I was not aware of the reburbished apple site.

Although the 20" display currently there for 699 is only 100 cheaper than the retail price on the main apple store.

However this looks like a good resource to have bookmarked.

Fred

thanks again for the help. I am not sure which route we will go. maybe buy the 29 dollar adapter and see how much slower everything runs.

TZ
06-28-2005, 03:55 PM
I put that link to /support/ so you could look up products. There is also Apple Specs and there is a wealth of links and articles in the Troubleshooting Guide (below for easy reference).

QS = QuickSilver, 2002 is the 2nd generation QS released in 2002.
MDD = G4 Mirror Drive Door, came after the above and uses DDR memory, has two optical drive bays and four hard drive bays on two separate buses. The last G4 PowerMac.

$100 would pay for a video card, and to some, make it easier, though 24" for under $1000 could also be a "steal" and save even more off Apple's 23".

unclemac
06-28-2005, 04:23 PM
One other thing....

Some folks claim to notice a difference in picture quality when using an adapter from digital to analog.

DVI and ADC = Digital
VGA = Analog

If you are concerned enough about color correctness or overall quality to use two different monitors, I would think it would be worth while to get a video card with one DVI port and one VGA port, and no adapters.

Can't say for sure because I am not a PS guy, and I am colorblind. Just see folks chatting about it.

If you can get a decent card (like the 9000 or 9200) with DVI+VGA for less than $150, I would consider that choice in your shoes over an adapter.

Somebody here will shout out if I am off base....

rwm
06-28-2005, 06:53 PM
Fred

Look at this link here (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=42739) to find out which G4 you have.

Macaholic
06-28-2005, 07:15 PM
Bottm line,
Try it!
Once you have two displays / monitors;
One for palette, and one for images you will be spoiled.
I suggest a cheap card for your pallet / monitor, and your best card/monitor for your image...

Dave

Macaholic
06-28-2005, 07:18 PM
also, I still like a CRT more then an LCD for photoshop .
(personal opinion)

dave

TZ
06-29-2005, 04:22 AM
I know CRTs use to rule and hands down, does that hold true today still? Someone with a Cinema Display (or Dell)?

krowmagnum
06-29-2005, 07:09 AM
I know CRTs use to rule and hands down, does that hold true today still? Someone with a Cinema Display (or Dell)?

For color matching no LCD that I have seen can compare with a top of the line CRT..... Even Apple's Cinema displays.

If you want your colors to be correct (exactly). You need a CRT and you can get a really nice CRT display for the price of an "ok" LCD. Or two top-of-the-line CRT's for the price of one nice LCD.

And you should use 2 video cards for the best results with dual monitors.

tumbleguts
09-11-2005, 07:41 AM
Hey - nice thread.

I've just set up my ultimate monitor configuration:
2x Sun GDM-5410 21-inch CRT's connected to a 'super' Quicksilver.
(super = absolutely upgraded with SCSI raid/1.5GB CL2 RAM/DVD/etc...)
In my opinion, CRT are 'much' better when it comes to colour.

I purchased a Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB to run the monitors as extended display. The card splits the VRAM, so each monitor gets 64MB of VRAM - which is plenty... (Main monitor to VGA, and second monitor to DVI with adapter.) However - I've just realised that the monitor that connects to the DVI connection (via adapter) tends to acquire a slight yellow (warm) cast colour! Hoping that by obtaining an monitor cord that is VGA - DVI (all in one) will fix this problem - fingers crossed...

catfell
11-08-2005, 11:20 PM
TZ-

I was talking to the Eizo guys recently at the photoexpo, (this is what the rep told me) and apparently Donnely, the humongous publishers, are going to be using Eizo LCD's for all their proofing.

As far as I can tell, CRT's are all but dead for high end image viewing. Barco was the king of CRT's but they seem to be out of the graphics biz now. The Sony Artisan was the next best CRT and those have been discontinued. No other CRT has ever come close.

I've seen some very good LCD's that are completely free from banding (grayscales are completely smooth). The Eizo guy also mentioned that the medical sector is also interested in the super high quality displays for diagnostic purposes. Better views of x-rays, catscans and MRI's. Apparently Eizo was suprised by the medical demand for their hi-end graphics monitors.

Please keep in mind all the info I got about Eizo was from an Eizo representative, and all the other comments are just my opinion.

As I mentioned in previous post on a different thread. If you're not using a separate monitor calibrator, you're working in the dark. If you're doing any serious image work, you must have your monitors calibrated.

TZ
11-09-2005, 06:16 AM
Now that most all video cards have gone to 256MB (and 1GB GDDR4 is in the works) I don't think we'll lack for VRAM for awhile, along with faster memory and clock speeds, and if you are on dual-core G5+ there is PCIe.

Thanks for keeping us updated!