PDA

View Full Version : Exporting to DVD with Premiere for Mac, with no compression?

AnnM
06-26-2005, 12:24 PM
I have made a 45-minute program of still photographic images (with zooms and pans made with After Effects files), using Premiere 6.5 for Mac, and I want to export for burning to DVD (to be played on television); it is my understanding that with Mac I can only export by making a QuickTime movie. When I make tests using different compressors, I am not satisfied with the loss of image quality. Some experts on other forums write that you should avoid compressing more than once, and the file will be compressed in the DVD authoring/burning. Since I cannot export directly into iDVD and must make a QT movie, I wondered about the "none" choice for compressors when exporting the Premiere timeline to make a movie. I have made short tests -- image quality is great, but the size of the file is enormous. I calculate that my 45-minute Premiere project will be a 60-70GB QuickTime file if I choose "none" to retain image quality. (I tried a test file that is about 9GB and can't get iDVD to burn it -- am not sure what the problem is there, since I have a Mac G5 Dual 1.8 with 3.5 GB RAM.) Right now I only have iDVD 4.0.1, but am considering purchasing DVD Studio Pro. Can iDVD handle a 60-70GB file? How about DVD Studio Pro? Am I on the right track with the "none" setting to maintain image quality, or way off base? I just need to find a way to export my Premiere program and not lose the quality of our photographic images in the compression. Help!

PS -- if it helps to know, I am running Premiere 6.5 on my Mac 667 Titanium Powerbook G4 with 768 MB RAM, OS 9.2.2; I transfer the QT file to our Mac G5 Dual 1.8 (3.5 GB RAM, OS 10.3.8) to burn the DVD.

TZ
06-27-2005, 08:44 AM
don't know if this will help.

Compress QuickTime to MPEG-4
This simple Automator action compresses any QuickTime movies to MPEG-4 format and places the compressed files into a directory of the userís choosing. MPEG-4 compression settings must be set in QuickTime Player before the action is run.

Apple Mac OS X Downloads: QT to MPEG-4 (http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/automator/compressquicktimetompeg4.html)

despaxas
06-27-2005, 10:51 AM
Later QuickTime versions in OSX have an Apple Uncompressed (8 bit and 10 bit) codec that is true uncompressed video for TV, meaning it can support interlaced video in the CMYK color space. The "none" codec in OS9 is a little different as it only supports the RGB color space for computers and it is progressive scan so it was mostly used for multi-media and animation. You can use it in your project since the scanned photos will already be RGB, but as you said, the files are very large. MJPEG-A is your best bet. It is a "lossless" codec that runs at about 7-8MB/sec (depending on how much motion is in the video) instead of 21MB/sec.

iDVD should support any video file format that QuickTime can handle, so I'm not sure what the problem there could be. I believe you just drop a video file on the menu, and iDVD encodes it to MPEG-2 when it builds and burns the DVD.

"it is my understanding that with Mac I can only export by making a QuickTime movie"

Well, yes and no. Pro editing apps on the Mac will use QuickTime to export and compress the video, but QT can also export into other independant video standards that don't use the .mov suffex, like .mpg, .mp4, .m2v and .avi. Though you would never edit from these file types.

kaye
06-28-2005, 07:25 AM
despaxas,

I didn't know that about OS9, good to know, but I don't recall ever creating in OS9 and then burning with iDVD in OSX. So is she good to go with iDVD or is that large size created by OS9 going to carry thru to the burn? k

despaxas
06-28-2005, 09:36 AM
Yeah, I had a similar work flow when iDVD2 came out. Capturing and editing in OS9 on a 9600, then exporting the finished video to an external firewire HD for transport to another Mac with OSX and iDVD installed. It worked well but I finally realized that extra exporting step was taking too long, and ended up changing the way I did it.