PDA

View Full Version : can't allocate scratch disks in PS

verticleshift
05-05-2005, 06:06 AM
I'm having a problem trying to allocate an external drive (G4 iBook with external FW hard drive) as the secondary scratch disk. It does not show up when I click the appropriate tab, but the drive shows up on the Finder. Can anyone lend a hand?

kaye
05-05-2005, 06:15 AM
I am not the Pshop Gurus, Boots is, but you are going here Photoshop menu>Preferences>Plug-Ins & Scratch Disks>Scratch Disks to designate your scratch disks? What version Pshop and MacOS? k

verticleshift
05-05-2005, 01:49 PM
Hi
I'm using iBook G4 1.2 GHz, 10.3.8, PSCS, ext LaCie 160G FW drive.

When I go to Photoshop menu>Preferences>Plug-Ins & Scratch Disks>Scratch Disks all I see is the startup disk ( Macintosh HD), yet the ext drive is showing in the finder.
thanks

Boots
05-05-2005, 05:53 PM
Restart Photoshop with the Lacie plugged in and see if this is still the case.

Otherwise I don't know the answer VS, -all my firewire volumes show as choices in the drop-down menus for first, second, third scratch disk etc. :confused:

Is the Lacie formatted with third-party software?

If no go, maybe try running Diskwarrior against it and the startup disk too...

verticleshift
05-05-2005, 07:11 PM
Is the Lacie formatted with third-party software?

It was sent ready to go on OS X, I didn't have to do any formatting.

Boots
05-05-2005, 07:24 PM
It was sent ready to go on OS X, I didn't have to do any formatting.

Is there anything on the drive now?

verticleshift
05-05-2005, 11:04 PM
Yes, and now I don't have enough room on the iBook to transfer off the external :-((

Boots
05-06-2005, 02:51 AM
If it were me, I'd want to try re-formatting the drive....if DW or TechToolPro doesn't help.
I wonder if the permissions are set properly for the volume? "Ignore ownership on this volume" checkbox is unchecked in the Get Info window for the drive?
I take it you've tried the other ideas mentioned above?

If you're going to use part of it as a scratch disk for PSCS, ideally you'd use the outside first 25-50 Gigabytes, so partitioning it into two volumes would be better than mixing the scratch file in with a bunch of other data. Is this your only backups?

TZ
05-06-2005, 02:55 AM
Make that 25-50GB while you're at it.