PDA

View Full Version : Revolution 5.1 & system noises

TerryR
04-25-2005, 02:37 AM
Hi,
I know some of you have the Revolution 7.1 and maybe this carries over: I installed a Revolution 5.1, latest drivers from M-Audio website, and it works just fantastic; the only strange thing I have noticed is that - when I have the headphones on - I can hear "sound effects" for certain system operations such as scrolling a window: it makes a soft-but-distinct ticking noise as I scroll; when I move a window, it makes - again, soft-but-distinct - a "whooshing" sound.
This doesn't seem to affect recording (I was recording some music from Sirius through the line-in to Sound Studio as I was working, and it is not audible in the recordings I made).
I *know* I'm not hearing things, I've reduplicated it again and again, and I even have the "sound effects" of the system (ping, beep, etc.) to go through the internal speaker, as do the default modem-sounds and start-up chime of the Mac's own volition.
This is not a problem, it's not even annoying, I just find it to be a Spockian "interesting" thing....
Anyone have any thoughts/answers? Thanks.

kaye
04-26-2005, 06:24 AM
TerryR,

I have the Revolution 7.1 but I don't have headphones and have never heard those system sounds you describe tho I do remember those sounds are supposed to be there. I thought they were in a preference somewhere so I looked at every control panel in the System Preferences pane for 10.3.9 and 10.3.8 but cannot find anything to turn those sounds off or on or control their volume. I also looked thru Mac Help, no luck.

Anyone else have any ideas? k

TerryR
04-26-2005, 10:32 AM
Thanks, K!
I was SURE I wasn't hearing things.......it's in the sound pref panel, "Play user interface sound effects" underneath the "Alert Volume" slider...
I never knew (noticed) there was such a thing until I started working with headphones on and would hear these things inbetween songs. It is now unchecked and I am unperplexed.
T :rolleyes: (now on to more important stuff...)

kaye
04-26-2005, 10:44 AM
Well I'll be. Can't tell you how many times I looked at Sound and never saw that even tho I have it unchecked. DUH! k