PDA

View Full Version : Adobe Creative Suite 2 New Features

kaye
04-22-2005, 07:34 AM
This site http://www.layersmagazine.com/features/cs2-videos.php has some very interesting info in QuickTime. I was particularly interested in Illustrator CS2, the Live Trace movie, for converting for instance a bitmap Pshop doc to an Illustrator vector doc. That way a logo for instance once converted could be resized way larger without any loss. Just one of many new features. k

kaye
04-28-2005, 07:20 AM
Bare Feats http://www.barefeats.com/quick.html has a short blurb (April 26th, 2005) with a promise of more to come that Adobe Photoshop CS2 (ver 9) breaks through the 2GB cache barrier. k

Boots
04-28-2005, 01:43 PM
CS2 (ver 9) breaks through the 2GB cache barrier.

Reports are filtering in with G5 machines with 4 or more GB RAM installed showing 3070~MB "Available". And Adobe's own engineers are reporting big speed boosts when 6GB RAM is installed....

kaye
06-04-2005, 06:09 AM
Latest from Bare Feats

June 2nd, 2005 -- Photoshop CS2 + Tiger = "Super Caching." Did you know that Tiger handles the memory caching for CS 2? And that it will allocate more memory than you define in CS 2's preferences? We set the memory cache in CS 2's preferences to 522MB. When we opened the 1GB test file, the system memory usage jumped from 512MB to 4GB. When we rotated it 30 degress, the total system memory usage jumped to 6.6GB. That tells us that the OS is grabbing any available memory to avoid unnecessary scratch drive hits.

We repeated the test using Photoshop CS under Tiger. The total system memory usage never exceeded 2.9GB, even when we set CS's cache to 1.5GB. And CS 2 rotated the 1GB test file 33% faster than CS when both were set to 1.5GB cache in preferences.
k

A.D.
06-04-2005, 08:46 AM
Regarding the barefeats info, my understanding is that Photoshop engineers wrote CS2 to make use of OS memory caching before resorting to the scratch disk, and users will indeed see speed benefits to installing RAM beyond the 3GB addressable limit of PSCS2. IOW, and contrary to the implication at barefeats, with CS2 you get this benefit under Panther as well.

kaye
06-15-2005, 08:07 AM
Very interesting review of Pshop CS2 and Adobe Bridge http://arstechnica.com/reviews/apps/cs2.ars just out. k

Boots
06-16-2005, 07:38 AM
Interesting (and entertaining :D ) article.

I had a long- and fortunately toll-free chat with Adobe tech support yesterday.
I wanted to get some clarification on how CS2 product activation would be affected by specific kinds of high-performance drive configurations. The answers I got gave me a better understanding but not complete clarity. The gist:

I had read somewhere of an install problem where CS2 wouldn't function on a striped system disk.
From Adobe at present, my understanding is that if I clean-install a system and then CS2 into /Apps on a two-drive striped startup disk, I believe activation sees the install as "two computers" (read two separate hard drives)- attempting to use CS2 at the same time, and such a condition will prevent it's use under the single-user license agreement.
The tech seemed to think the former would not be the case, that an install of CS2 into a system on the two-drive striped volume would be seen rather as a single "computer", but I have to say I wasn't convinced.
But I'm not sure if this would hold true if I cloned a system with CS2 already installed from another disk onto the empty formatted two-drive striped volume....

When I spoke of activation seeing and counting the volumes rather than the number of drives comprising that volume, they said that a "patch" was forthcoming "within the next two weeks" which would change activation to see individual volumes as individual "computers" rather than the individual physical hard drives, thereby allowing the functioning of CS2 on a striped system/apps volume.

This is also important for back up purposes since if I back up that installation onto a hot-swappable three-drive mirrored volume, without the "patch" this would cause CS2 to not function if the volume is mounted.

But like I say, if the system/apps/CS2 volume is cloned onto these multi-drive volumes rather than clean-installed, that may be a work-around to the current situation...? Anybody get this far in their experience yet?

TZ
06-16-2005, 02:56 PM
I could imagine that a mirror might cause a problem, where you can break off a drive from the mirror and end up with two fully functioning systems, but not so with a stripped array.

As for clone not working... isn't that suppose to be a perfect image? but I have had programs that would require reentering serial number, or if I booted from a clone, count that as another system.

Scary. Adobe Acrobat makes it hard or impossible to retain "DRM rights" to ebooks I've bought and downloaded though.

kaye
06-21-2005, 07:34 AM
Another review, this time by Macworld (http://www.macworld.com/2005/06/reviews/photoshopcs2/index.php/?lsrc=mwrevrss)
k

kaye
06-21-2005, 08:05 AM
But like I say, if the system/apps/CS2 volume is cloned onto these multi-drive volumes rather than clean-installed, that may be a work-around to the current situation...? Anybody get this far in their experience yet?
Boots,

My situation is not nearly that involved but I did boot to my backup boot drive on the G5 with 10.4.1 and had no problems with Pshop CS2. The opening splash screen had my name and serial number. Everything worked and from the Menu Bar I checked for updates and there were none. This backup boot drive was cloned with Tri-BACKUP v4.0.3. k

Boots
06-26-2005, 08:06 AM
I am happy to report installation and activation of Photoshop CS2 went without a hitch on my striped 2 x 74GB Raptor startup volume. I then cloned the volume to a firewire drive, left it mounted and opened CS2 from the striped startup: no problem. Adobe told me the other day, they're coming out with some patch to address situations like this, but I'm a little fuzzy at this point what situations it will actually address....

I should say the download of PS CS2 was huge and took a lot longer than I expected because it goes through the Adobe Download Manager which needs to first be installed (it gets automatically installed in /Applications/Utilities). The download-even on true 5 meg cable took 45 minutes. Then after the install, it automatically checked for updates to the app but had to:

http://homepage.mac.com/boots911/.Public/MacGurus/UpdaterMessage.gif

That gave me a brief chuckle..

It's become a huge multi-app installation; 4 in /Apps, 3 in /Apps/Utilities. Almost 500MB.

With Bigger Tiles plugin enabled, a 580MB temp file is made on the first scratch disk upon opening the app without any images.

Now to get that 8GB RAM installed.... :D

TZ
06-28-2005, 09:36 AM
Lenny Bruce raised an Adobe issue with the "case-sensitive" filesystem that's an option in "Tiger":

Adobe has haphazardly made aliases and framework names that don't match [upper and lower case]. Only Adobe can fix this. They could write a little script and stick it in an installer and fix this.

The affected frameworks are inside each Adobe application.app package. You can't fix this yourself unless you repair each alias inside each framework inside each Adobe application. Adobe has known about this for many weeks now. There are references to it in their forums... references where the affected user has no idea why this is happening.

An additional reason this is not Apple's fault is that they defined how to create a Framework package and they were very clear to identify the case of folders like "A". [...]
- www.macintouch.com

TZ
07-04-2005, 10:53 AM
Haven't read through Ars review yet.
http://arstechnica.com/reviews/apps/cs2.ars

kaye
05-20-2006, 10:13 AM
Photoshop CS2 updated to v9.0.1. k

kaye
08-17-2006, 08:35 AM
Photoshop CS2 updated to v9.0.2. I'm not having any problems with it and no report of permissions repairs nor verify drive issues but a few folks have problems with the update. k