PDA

View Full Version : G3 minitower as a server

akahanga
04-10-2005, 01:49 PM
Hi, Im trying to setup a server for storage backup and I want to use a G3-333mhz minitower, because of its cheap price,

is it a good option? and any idea for a good cost/solutions way to setup the server?

or should I try to buy something else like a g3 Yosemite?

any suggestions are welcome! and sorry for my english. tks

Nicolas
04-10-2005, 02:03 PM
Hello akahanga,

welcome to MacGurus Tech Forums!

Take a look here:
http://www.macgurus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19807

I have setup G3 300MT as server too.

G3 300MHz
786 MB RAM
Acard 67160
Adaptec USB/FW
100 MBit Asante
External RAID5 box
1500 APC
15" TFT
2x 300GB FW Backups (Daily, Weekly)

Works great since two years with the single user 10.2.6.

But if you can buy a B&W (Rev2) should be way better.

You can install a SATA 66MHZ card in the video PCI slot (66MHz) to workaround the 53MB/s write speed issue if a card (SATA/SCSI) is installed in one of the "normal" PCI slots.

Regards

Nicolas

akahanga
04-10-2005, 02:48 PM
as I read about your G3 configuration, I guess you got a great server setup.

I already have a ultraATA66 PCI card, and want to use it with 2 80GB ide drives as a raid which one is better 1 or 2 or what?

Ive got a quicksilver as my first machine and want to storage works in progress in the beige and librarie of fonts and a lot of stuff...

does it sounds fine or I am lossing something?

TZ
04-10-2005, 03:13 PM
What does it buy you that one good fast 160-300GB ATA or SATA drive wouldn't offer hanging off your existing G4, I guess is the real question that I would have.

The Beige is short on PCI slots and bus bandwidth.
FireWire can be added, but is very slow.
the max I/O is ~53MB/sec (same as B&W only worse)
that makes RAID into just 'spanned volume'

Nicolas
04-10-2005, 04:04 PM
As TZ mentioned,

if you have only two Macs (I suggest), a dedicated server is not needed.

Both of the above mentioned systems serves 4 to 8 Macs.
If those two Macs, you have listed in your signature, are the only ones, I would not setup a server.

Another issue, you have to copy your QXP or InDesign (images and fonts too) files to your local Mac, then edit then copy back.

Well a software RAID1 (better an hardware RAID1 if affordable) and a good backup strategy (FW drives) would be "cheaper" and a more productive solution.

Regards

Nicolas

akahanga
04-12-2005, 02:11 PM
well my configuration.

Quicksilver 733 with 2 80GB hard disk on a PCI ultraATA 133sonnet, 1 40GB in the IDE of the computer.

Can I build a Raid system beetween the 2 80GB hard disks?
and If I can, can be booteable?

actually I backup weekly to the second 80gb, and monthly to an 200gb external firewire drive. but I guess that a raid Disk could boost my performance making 3D rendering. can my sonnet card works as a raid card? I cant find information about that.

thanks for your support.

Ive forgot to list my 667DVI powerbook too...

TZ
04-12-2005, 02:54 PM
We do have some threads and guides on RAID and boosting storage and performance already.

A fast boot disk. Then /users on 2nd drive. 3-4th drives for RAID/scratch. Generally (Barefeats, StorageReview) don't show RAID as the best. It feels faster, and if you JUST have the system on the RAID and use the boot RAID for scratch, but not your data, it could work. A system once backed up, is easy enough to restore.

Nicolas
04-12-2005, 03:15 PM
Can I build a Raid system beetween the 2 80GB hard disks?
Yes, you can. But only software RAID (if you don't buy a new card), using Apple Disk Utility or SoftRAID.
TZ, and other guys here have answers, if you have questions about SoftRAID.

and If I can, can be booteable?
Yes and No, depends on what kind of RAID you are using.
Software RAID0 NO (I am not sure if SoftRAID supports it in the current version)
Software RAID1 YES

RAID0 = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID#RAID_0
RAID1 = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID#RAID_1

I guess that a raid Disk could boost my performance making 3D rendering

If the rendering APP needs to load large skins/images from disk ,Yes.
If it is swapping a lot data to the disk. Yes, but more Memory (RAM) helps more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_memory

Regards

Nicolas

akahanga
04-12-2005, 03:51 PM
wow!

thanks for the complete post NICOLAS and TZ! Ive got a lot to review and try, Im checking tonight the G3 beige 333 so if its ok and as cheap as I guess, I will post it later,

thanks again for your helpful words...