PDA

View Full Version : acceleration & fcp/photoshop/ae

juju5
04-04-2005, 02:27 PM
Hi,
I'm planning on doing an upgrade in the next few months. Planning on getting a sata burly box, 2 drive, maybe 4.
I was reading in the acceleration tips section that it's also a good idea to have a second sata drive internally as a scratch disk for photoshop etc.
If I get an external 4 drive, is it necessary to also get another internal drive? Will having the extra internal (as well as the 4 drive sata external) give me alot of extra speed? Also, if I get the internal (and external), do I need a card? If so, would the sonnet temp 4+4 be a good choice?
Thanks.

Boots
04-04-2005, 03:06 PM
Hi juju5,
If you're planning on an external SATA box for scratch, you don't a second internal for scratch- though putting your Users directory and/or data on a second fast internal can add a bit of speed also.
Soon, we should have a 4-drive SeriTek external card available, otherwise I believe the two Tempo -X versions are your current choices for 4+ drives external. The SeriTek 1SE2 for two-drive external only...

What are your computer specs?- when posting you can add that to your "signature" so you don't have to type it every time.

juju5
04-05-2005, 11:23 AM
Thanks, Boots.
The computer specs I'm planning on getting are:
dual 2 mhz g5,4.5 ram, 23" cinema display, decklink pro card, sony pvm 14l2, sata burly box with 4 hitachi's & either the Sonnet Tempo 4+4 or the new seritek 4.
I'm planning on running AE, FCP & of course, Photoshop, mainly.
Another question: if you get an external SATA with 4 drives, is it faster than the 2 drive?

Boots
04-11-2005, 04:42 AM
Another question: if you get an external SATA with 4 drives, is it faster than the 2 drive?

Yes, roughly twice as fast.

Don't forget to factor in a ton of RAM for your new powerhouse. PS CS2 will be able to address over 3GB RAM- unlike the 2GB limit of the current PS CS, and I've heard FCP likes a lot too.

juju5
04-13-2005, 01:43 PM
thanks, Boots. I'm planning on getting 4.5 gigs ram.