PDA

View Full Version : Capturing analog tapes with gaps between the signal

despaxas
02-21-2005, 05:28 PM
I posted this on a forum I've never been to, but since a couple of you do post-production stuff, I thought I'd post here too.

My question has to do with capturing video from any analog format with "breaks" in the video. (i.e., old VHS with blank sections of tape between recorded content.) After a "break" in the signal on the tape, the audio will be off after that point. I am aware of DV cameras with pass-through that don't suffer from this, but I capture uncompressed or MJPEG-A and so need an analog solution. Would a time base corrector with a black burst generator connected to it's genlock in, continue to supply a constant video signal to it's outputs in the event the video source cuts out?

I currently use a Video International DTC1600/P6 to deal with this, but it is actually a video standards converter, and it is overkill to use it for a problem that most likely has a less expensive solution. It works because it continuously outputs any selected video standard even if it's input is interrupted. So, is there some other way this can be achieved? Thanks in advance for any help.

Jeff

despaxas
03-03-2005, 03:12 PM
Yup, works perfectly in case anyone's interested. I got an ESE black burst generator and a Hotronic AR71 time base corrector. The BB generator gives the time base corrector a stable sync source to output in case the input video drops out. This is going to save me so much time. :)

bif
03-03-2005, 03:51 PM
WOW.
But, I'm afraid that my little bit of home video wouldn't justify that. Still, ain't it great when one of these computers can save time, let alone do something that only they can do.
Now if I can just get my PM 7500 to go get me another beer.