PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop artifacts

scottj
02-21-2005, 06:15 AM
Hi all

I am currently having a lot of problems with photoshop jpeg and tiff files corrupting. The files either have lines running through them or are truncated.

Now I know adobe says files should be saved to the local hard disk not the server, but this is not an option for our workflow (all images are saved to a B&W G3 server ASIP 6.3). This system worked beautifully for about 3-4 years but recently a lot of photoshop files are corrupting.

I have changed the network switch, hard disks, ethernet card/cables reloaded system/app software on work station/server all to avail.

My question is, does anyone else4 have these problems? and if so is there a work around.

(sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum feel free to move admin)

many thanks in advance

scott

Nicolas
02-21-2005, 06:52 AM
Hello,

we had this "tiff file corruption" years ago with files stored on a Pinnacle MO drive and with a HD that died a few weeks later.

Have you tried to store the file on your local HD and than to copy it to the server?

Could be a "bad" ethernet connection too.

Regards

Nicolas

TZ
02-21-2005, 07:04 AM
There is also a problem with some 3rd party software, such as Symantec Antivirus and Adobe. If you have NAV, remove it from your system or check Adobe and Symantec, as they are aware of the problem and working to find a solution (maybe they have with recent NAV updates).

Boots
02-21-2005, 09:00 AM
Now I know adobe says files should be saved to the local hard disk not the server, but this is not an option for our workflow (all images are saved to a B&W G3 server ASIP 6.3). This system worked beautifully for about 3-4 years but recently a lot of photoshop files are corrupting.

The Adobe-recommended workaround for this well-known and documented problem is to copy the file to be worked on from the server to the local hard drive first. Work on the copy on the local workstation, then copy the new version back to the server. Never open from, work on directly, or save the file directly to the server.

scottj
02-22-2005, 01:07 AM
Thanks for the info

unfortunately saving files to the desktop then copying them to the server is not an option. This would create too much back and forth saving (up to 400 images a day per workstation). all these files would then need to be placed in the correct folders - I dont see this as a solution.

Is OPI, RAID or some other option available that will lessen the problem. As I said the system has worked for nearly 4 years without a hitch.

Nicolas
02-22-2005, 02:17 AM
Hello,

OPI is a good solution but costly, and more for Layout.
What you need is a Image Sever wich has local mountpoints.
Like EtherShare (http://www.helios.de/products/ES/EtherShare.phtml) and if you want, an OPI like ImageServer (http://www.helios.de/products/OPI/ES_OPI.phtml) from Helios.

Cyan (http://www.cyansoftware.com/) or Helios (http://www.helios.de/) have some great products for Mac/Linux/Wintel.

Regards

Nicolas

scottj
02-22-2005, 06:25 PM
nicolas

many thanks Ill check those links out

scott

scottj
02-24-2005, 12:25 AM
Nicolas

further info:

We dicovered today that the ADSL modems RJ45 port only worked intermittently. this was connected directly to a switch, and the photoshop problems has only really started since using this modem. I have replaced the modem with a modem/router and on current tests all seems fine again :)

Many thanks everyone for the advice.

scott

Boots
02-24-2005, 04:59 AM
That's great Scott!
It's good to know also that your method of working the files from a server was working properly- that it can be done without corruption.
I wonder what makes the difference in your case, as opposed to those I read about on the Adobe forums who immediately have the corruption problems when opening/saving to the server?

TZ
02-24-2005, 05:16 AM
Interesting how problems or symptoms manifest themselves.

Netgear routers and switches have been mentioned recently as having trouble with the latest 10.3.8. I think most are two years or older. I bought one of their new ADSL modem/router-switches and even applied the latest beta 2.0 firmware just to see.

scottj
02-25-2005, 06:31 AM
Hi Boots/TZ

yeah i dont know why our system works and others dont. we run ASIP 6.3 on the B&W G3 server and have never had a problem before this, I might add sometimes ignorance is bliss when it comes to networking a design studio. I am very much a novice when it comes to this stuff, but do have experience in newspaper prepress and we always saved our images to the server (this is going back 10 years).

as I said earlier, many thanks for the input, it sent me in the right direction.

cheers scott