PDA

View Full Version : Drive set up for video capture

kenji
01-29-2005, 02:59 AM
Hi,

Forgive my ignorance but I want to ask for advise regarding hardrive set up for video capture/scratch in iMovie. Which is better? One 250 GB in a ATA 133 IDE Card or two 120 GB in RAID configuration? I have no experience with RAID but most pro like you say it gives better data transfer rate. Thank you.

Kenji

eric
01-29-2005, 03:28 AM
kenji,

First question in video is always the format you're trying to capture. For the throughput demands vary according to format.

DV as you'll find with consumer, prosumer, and even pro gear isn't demanding. You can use unstriped 7200 rpm PATA drives for those. Cleanest way is done internally rather than via FW, although FW can work.

Uncompressed video is demanding on the hand, typically requiring RAID setups. For a time, it was only SCSI. Still may be that way, not sure about the progress on the SATA RAID setups and whether they'll get enough throughput for that.

Haven't kept up with the throughput requirements for HD DV.

Edit: I just re-read your post and see you're talking about iMovie. I take it that we're talking about DV (and not HD DV as with the latest newest version of iMovie) in that case. With iMovie unlike Final Cut you can actually get away with capturing DV to your boot volume/drive. But I'd still recommend as you're planning to use a dedicated HD for capture/media. The RAID setup isn't really needed for DV and iMovie (and FCP). It won't make things really go any faster. Striped arrays are also more risky.

kenji
01-29-2005, 04:18 PM
Thank you Mr. Eric :)

I no longer need to buy a new hardrive. My 160 GB is more than enough for scratch. No need for RAID. Thanks again.

Kenji