PDA

View Full Version : Dual Processor or MHz - which matters most in gaming

bif
01-28-2005, 03:18 PM
Say you had a choice of an 867 MHz G4 Dual Processor or a 1.2 GHz single Processor G4 as a game machine, which would be faster during actual game performance? Using OSX, of course. Also, food for thought, with all the rant over the desire for a powerbook G5, why not a dual G4 Powerbook? Would the cooling requirements be that much different?

Inquiring minds want to know.
(snowed in, in the cold northeast)

Chucko
01-28-2005, 04:31 PM
Depends on the game. If the game code is MP-aware, a dual is likely to be faster, otherwise you should grab for all the GHz you can in a single CPU.

A dual G4 PowerBook doesn't make much sense, if only because of size concerns. Dual-core is another story, though.

kaye
01-28-2005, 04:54 PM
bif,

I guess snowed in. When I was young and stupid I went to school in Exeter, NH and used to jump out of the 2nd story window into the snow drifts. Before I left Exeter I used to drive up into southern tip of Maine to visit a girlfriend and driving was like being in a canyon, way above car level.

Now your question. First I'm not a gamer but I do run Xplane and I purchased Halo strictly to test capabilities of processors and video cards via the Halo Timedemo test. Either Xplane or Halo Timedemo is capable of bringing a G4 to its knees, no matter how well tricked out. You have to heavily consider grahics card too and how much VRAM is installed on that card as well as speed and number of processors. All of my tests in OSX were DP and running CPU Monitor. Those games, judging by that app and from what little I know, some of the 2nd CPU is helping the video card crunch OpenGL as well as helping to share the load of the 1st CPU. I don't think a G4 Powerbook would have enough of a graphics card, but I have not looked at them.

My QS/PF runs SP in OS9. I would have to say that its SP capabilities are about equal to the DP G4-800 it replaced for games. For the best in OSX, you want the fastest DP G4 you can afford and the best graphics card, which for a desktop and games is the Radeon 9800 Mac Edition with 128MB RAM. k

Damien
01-31-2005, 09:46 PM
for all around game performance I would go with whichever Mac is cheaper and use the $$ I saved on the phattest video card I could wedge into it... and ram LOTS of ram

If you have a specific game you want to play (and not very many others) you might make a different choice to tailor your Mac to the game and its abilities and requirements