PDA

View Full Version : Pshop CS - G5 revs up frequently

holy thursday
01-16-2005, 10:49 AM
Hi

I have 1 Gig RAM in my dual 2.5 G5.

Using Photoshop causes the fans to rev up at the smallest thing i.e. hitting apple+R to toggle rulers, opening files, switching windows, re-sizing brushes and many other everyday functions also create this annoying revving. The revs are constantly intermittent the whole time i use the app.

The revs also happen when I use Cinema 4D

I work with video so my images are usually smaller than typical print images i.e. 72dpi at 1024x576 or 720x576. sometimes larger.

Is this normal?? Do I have a problem????

Thanks.

TZ
01-16-2005, 11:12 AM
Do you have a 2nd drive installed to use? Are you planning to add more RAM later to assist Photoshop to run better? And have you looked at Photoshop Guide (http://www.macgurus.com/guides/photoshopguide.php) and FAQ? (http://www.macgurus.com/forums/showthread.php?p=79073) There is a lot of activity lately on testing Photoshop performance (http://www.macgurus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19746) so you might want to check that thread also.

If you haven't yet, you may want to check out "Temperature Monitor" and "Hardware Monitor" along with "ThermographX" to monitor your G5s temperature.

One drive and 1GB RAM would be "under-powered" for what you intend to use it for probably. For Photoshop etc more is always better. Would be interesting if the drive bays are the source or cause for the revving.

kaye
01-16-2005, 11:35 AM
holy thursday,

Welcome to the Gurus forums. All good points by TZ. And a question from me. In the Energy Saver preference pane, what do you have the processor setting at, highest? Or what? k

holy thursday
01-16-2005, 12:31 PM
Thanks guys

I already run Hardware Monitor and have found it to be useful in identifying the memory controller heatsink 'temp spike' problem.
I do intend to add 4 gig RAM at a later stage.
I always run my energy saver option at highest.
I don't have a 2nd drive installed to use as a dedicated scratch disk. Was thinking of getting a raptor 10.000rpm drive as a boot drive but my main focus of mac use is 'after effects' and 'cinema 4D', pshop is secondary really, but the fans do annoy me.

I've used activity monitor since adding this post earlier and have found that when using pshop, it doesn't seem to use the RAM. The free ram indictor stays the same throughout all tasks, the cpu usage goes up to 100% or more and the fans rev upon every function. Is there an explanation for this?

Thanks again.

daveseeley
01-16-2005, 02:07 PM
If you haven't already, you will need to set the preferences in pshop to tell it how much system ram it can use (might be low now?). Bear in mind that pshop can only use 2gigs of Ram while it is a 32bit app...which will be for a year or more at least....so 4 gigs may not effect pshop that much unless you run other ram hogs simultaneously. (bummer...I thought 8 gig ram ceiling was the photoshoppers dream come true....only after a new g5 did I learn about this ceiling, and chasing faster scratch storage is what led me to MacGurus.

I have a new g5 2.5 ghz....I live in pshop (7.0) and the fan revs up every time I do the smallest thing in it. I use the util CeePeeYou and even when the processor is not working very hard, the fans rev up and down. At first it drove me nuts....rather have the fans run at a constant rate for less noticeable white noise, than the rollercoaster effect. If it's any consolation, it bugs me less after a month.

Dave

daveseeley
01-16-2005, 02:10 PM
also....consider the Diamondmax 10 300gb over the raptor... A bit less performance but a lot more storage. I just got one for $200 and partitioned less than a third on the outside of the disks for system/apps.

If there's a way to tell the fans to stop the rollercoaster....I'd love to hear it.

Dave

TZ
01-16-2005, 02:54 PM
I suspect that Adobe has its sights on Tiger compatible. Not having 64-bit support doesn't mean you can't take advantage of more than 2GB (See Back pages forum (http://www.neowin.net/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t267255.html) which does seem to suggest this is just a small interim update), and have to wait for CS 3.0 for that (likely more than a year to make better use of more than 4GB).

I would give some credability to ThinkSecret on this rumor. Even the shareholders need to see a new version, and it seems likely something will need to be done for 10.4.x.

holy thursday
01-16-2005, 06:11 PM
Cheers Dave

I did try to allocate 100% to pshop but didn't really see less fan activity. I can't believe that this is how the fans act normally when using pshop - that's pretty lame don't you think!! I think the only solution is to extend my cables and put the G5 in the next room, which is a joke considering the 'quiet' G5 marketing fluff. I also agree that a constant, slightly noisier mac would be preferable given the choice.

The 4 gig now would still benifit me as being able to have pshop, cinema, illustrator etc open at the same time is really useful to me.

BTW I'm on my 3rd replacement G5 in 6 months due to the main logic board backside fan going nut at the slightest provocation.

Roll on the next revision!!!! Lets hope they fix this fan situ.

Cheers.

TZ
01-17-2005, 08:53 AM
Does it have the latest firmware?
Have you reset nvram from Open Firmware?
Can you try doing a clean install on another drive?
And, to help ease any stress on the power supply, use a robust UPS of 1000-1500V.

If this is the third time and not the charm at all, maybe house current, or some software you use that isn't performing properly...

revi
01-18-2005, 12:11 PM
Just to toss my $0.02 in...

I installed HardwareMonitor (even bought it!) on my G5 only after that did I experience "thermal runaways" (i.e., the machine not booting but the fans slowly revving up to turbine speed...I knock the machine down and restart and that has typically stopped the problem).

Now, I did not try to upgrade the version of Hardware Monitor I was running (my G5 is a production machine and I can't really experiment much with it), so this may be anecdotal.

Here's my original thread:

http://www.macgurus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19576

Maybe you should try removing Hardware Monitor as an experiment (and the .plist...there may be more files too, but those are the ones I'm aware of).

Hardware Monitor (which is a very cool app and I haven't had any problems with it on my G4) does warn about OS X freaking out when the fan speed values (IIRC) are monitored.

holy thursday
01-18-2005, 03:32 PM
Hi TZ

Yes, I have the latest firmware installed.
Yes I've reset the nvram and pram.
Doing a clean install would have to involve a ground up re-install which I'm considering.
May consider a UPS.
House current is something I have no power to change as I rent an apppartment.

Apple are calling me back soon so I'll mention all these things to them to see what they think.

Thanks man.

TZ
03-02-2005, 01:34 PM
I read today that one recommendation (for now) is to change performance from "automatic" to "highest" which, oddly, works - but hope it is just temporary as you don't want to keep it running @ maximum power - perhaps CHUD Tools can help 'nap' the cpu?

It is weird, and I hope that software updates to the kernel or whatever improve things. Is this something that 10.3.9 or do we have to wait for Tiger, to fix?