PDA

View Full Version : Wow, this is too tempting...the first post!

revi
01-13-2005, 04:03 PM
Greetings!

Such an honour!

Well, I'm going to risk things and will kinda repost a combination of questions, that I'm not sure are solved:

I want to optimize my MDD 1.42 for video and 3-d (model) rendering. Both of the below concern this machine (2GB RAM, 10.3.7)

1.) Other than the need to get an ATI Radeon 9800 to run Apple's Motion, would such a card provide a significant rendering improvement over the (then) big/deluxe nVidia that I got with the machine. Of course, this is somewhat subjective, and I'll consider it thus: at the gut level, would you recommend it?

2.) Let's say I'm ready for the external SATA RAID rig. Let's say I'd be looking at a burly 4-bay unit. What should I be thinking of in terms of maximizing the combination of speed and security? Mirroring and striping (i.e., A RAID pair of striped drives)?

What else would be recommended to maximize this machine's potential?

Woo-hoo! New Thread Topic Area!

iver

Boots
01-14-2005, 05:20 PM
Hi revi,
From the little I know, it would be a similar general approach for both types of use-

- a separate (from system & users) big fat & fast 'scratch disk' dedicated to the FCP scratch disk and it can also do double duty as the render drive for 3D apps that let you point the render to a 'render' volume.

And from what I hear, both video and 3D apps in general just absolutely love oodles of RAM.

As for the video cards, one of my projects which I just have not had time for yet- was to tryout different app-specific settings in ATI Displays along with my Radeon 9800 PRO SE 256MB.....to see if that would affect render times for Poser or Bryce.

revi
01-17-2005, 04:10 PM
Hey there Boots!

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it!

Also, please keep me apprised of your results regarding the ATI 9800, that sounds very interesting and also (sefl-interest...self-interest) directly related to what I'm trying to figure out.

I think I'll be getting into a SATA rig here pretty soon...I'm pretty religious about making hard copy backups and also would have the internal drives for copies, so do you think I should just look at a SATA rig for flat-out speed or would you also recommend set of "mirrored striped pairs" (i.e., 4 drives altogether)?

Thanks again!

iver

Boots
01-17-2005, 04:39 PM
Hi revi,
We should get Eric in on this- he's one of the FCP maestros. I'll drop him a line so he sees this.
From what I'm reading from the pros, there is a fairly particular way to set up for video and I think 3D is similar. I wish we knew someone who really knows Mac and Maya....

Anyway, the new external SATA stuff coming out is really going to expand the pure speed possibilities as well as convenience in backup routines. I believe at this point, WD740 Raptors are still the choice for hi-speed stripes, but the Maxtor MaxLine III drives might be not far behind, and certainly warrants a closer look.

On the details, I don't really know how striping a pair of mirrors plays out in terms of speed. I can see looking closely at the idea in conjunction with the hot-swap capability of these new external SATA storage arrays, but whether this would provide the correct speed necessary for video, I don't know- I'm sure Eric will though.

eric
01-17-2005, 05:10 PM
O.k. Boots dragged me into this.

1. Yeah you'll need that ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, a 9700, or a 9600 (for the G5s with 2 pieces of tape) to even run Motion. Apple set steep requirements for graphics cards for Motion and CoreImage in Tiger.

The 9800 Pro is the only retail offering out there. The 9700 was BTO and hard to find and pricey (with the price drop on the 9800 you probably better off getting the 9800). 9600 isn't the performer that the 9800 is, TZ has some benchmarks in another thread. But it will run Motion, I checked out the Motion trial with my 9600 in my DA.

2. As for the video setup. What kind of video are you doing/using. DV? For DV, 7200 rpm PATA drives are sufficient. So anything more than that should be more than enough, icing on the cake (or overkill :D). Uncompressed and you need much throughput. I haven't followed what the deal is with HD.

revi
01-17-2005, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the input!

Basically I'm doing 16:9 NTSC DV stuff...mainly in AfterEffects 6.5...with output to DVD via DVDStudio Pro. Also rendering for ElectricImage Universe. Some stuff with FCP. Most of my projects have been pretty small thus far, but they're continually getting bigger and involve a lot more rendering.

I only run one or another app at any particular time. The way the drives seems to get active during rendering has made me think that the outboard rigs might be a good idea for the high speed swapping. Plain ol' video stream throughput doesn't seem to be an issue.

I guess I'm going to want to nab the 9800...btw, I've dealt with MacConnection for years and what they have is:

Radeon 9800 Pro Mac Special Edition
ATI Tech
256MB Installed DDR SDRAM
AGP Slot
Video output via Multi-monitor graphics card
Item#: 4890848
Platform: M Mfr#: 100-435057 In Stock $379.95

Is that about what they should go for? Ouch! ;-)

Motion seems really interesting, though I'll likely still do much of the work in AE.

Given this setup, does an outboard SATA rig seem like it would help? If so, what kind of drive config would be optimal? As noted, I guess I would like some redundancy but am wondering if there would be a performance hit (and thus if I should go with striping as well).

Your input is greatly appreciated!