PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop Acceleration Benchmarks (Discussion)

Boots
01-06-2005, 09:56 AM
For discussions specific to Photoshop and other 2D/3D software, please look and post here.

jjlphoto
01-12-2005, 03:43 PM
15"G4-PB/1.5ghz/2Gram/4200rpm80gHD + FW800 7200rpm 125g external for data storage with a 15g partition on it for Photoshop scratch.
MacOSX10.3.6, Photoshop CSv8.0

I am considering adding a replacement HD, the Seagate Momentus 5400rpm/100g for better speed. Since I travel, a tower with multiple SATA drives is not an option. Since I will be starting with a clean HD, should I create a 15g partition on it for photoshop scratch? I've read that using my FW800 external for scratch may actually be slower than having Photoshop use the main drive. I keep about 25g of apps and stuff on the HD, and store all data on an external, so the rest of the drive will be fairly empty. Or should I skip the partition and just let Photoshop find scratch space where it will on the new HD?

Thanks,
John Luke

Boots
01-13-2005, 05:54 AM
Hi jjlphoto,

If using the drive containing startup system as scratch, don't partition it for a second volume for scratch. Performance will be faster as one volume for system/apps/users-data/PS scratch. Particularly since you'll have plenty of free space on the volume.

But since you already have it set up, also try the 15GB dedicated scratch volume on the fw800. I assume that is the first partition (= fastest). Being a larger and faster 7200rpm, it may be faster to use it.. hard to say for sure without testing it.

Macaholic
01-13-2005, 06:17 PM
From time to time, new and additional information about Photoshop optimization not covered in the Photoshop Acceleration section of Macgurus Tech Forums will be posted here.

For new specific discussions about Photoshop, please look and post here in the Videophiles Only section of Macgurus Tech Forums.

I love it when information is in one place,
Good work Boots you have learned much
Good Info, thanks much

Dave

Boots
01-14-2005, 09:13 AM
Thanks Mac,
I just edited the first post, deleting reference to the Videophiles Only forum.

jjlphoto
01-17-2005, 02:40 PM
Hi jjlphoto,

If using the drive containing startup system as scratch, don't partition it for a second volume for scratch. Performance will be faster as one volume for system/apps/users-data/PS scratch. Particularly since you'll have plenty of free space on the volume.

But since you already have it set up, also try the 15GB dedicated scratch volume on the fw800. I assume that is the first partition (= fastest). Being a larger and faster 7200rpm, it may be faster to use it.. hard to say for sure without testing it.

Thanks Boots-

My PB drive is being installed on Tuesday, Jan 18, so I've time to figure out how I want to set it up. Any advantage to creating a data storage partition on the new internal 100g, or is will it operate faster as one volume, storing data files where it may?

Boots
01-18-2005, 07:27 AM
Any advantage to creating a data storage partition on the new internal 100g, or is will it operate faster as one volume, storing data files where it may?

It would only be an advantage (somewhat) if you wish to separate your documents from the system so you could more easily wipe the system volume if necessary for a 'start-from-scratch' troubleshooting or re-install session. However, you'll lose some speed if you open your files from the second internal volume because of the extra partition on the same hard drive.

If you think you require such an arrangement for easier maintenance and troubleshooting, then you'd want to copy the PS image file for a work session to that first partition- the system volume, and open & save it from there- or copy it to that designated scratch disk on the fw800 drive and open & save it from there (if- and only if- the fw800 volume proves to be as fast or faster than that new internal drive. That would be the "work disk/scratch disk method").

If you're going to clone the contents of the new internal to a backup partition on the fw800 drive, I wouldn't bother partitioning that new internal drive... Because then you can run maintenance on the internal from the fw800.

TZ
02-16-2005, 10:10 AM
Please see: PS using Cheetah RAID (http://www.macgurus.com/forums/showthread.php?p=81328#post81328)

(I'm going to move it to this forum, "The Graphics Studio" later)

TZ
02-18-2005, 03:06 PM
Best "Photoshop Workstation" Barefeats shoot-out (http://www.barefeats.com/macvpc.html)