PDA

View Full Version : Some Unreal Torney info needed. Damien?

rwm
12-17-2004, 09:59 PM
Hello gaming people

I have one game I play - only one and not to often. An older version of Unreal Tournament ver. 436

But my brother just got highspeed cable and we only live 4-5 miles apart and have been playing on line - kind of a new toy again - fun

Where can I find new maps/weapons/skins for a Mac?

I can find everything for PC/Winblows....

My brother can really raz my Mac now

Any links are are appreciated.

Randy

kaye
12-18-2004, 06:58 AM
Randy, I don't have a clue but here are some links:

http://xlr8yourmac.com/games/UTDEMO/
http://www.westlakeinteractive.com/ k

Diq
12-18-2004, 01:50 PM
This is just a quick reply, but one thing you can do (horribly round about but does work) is to have your brother install and use any new maps/weapons/skins in a game that you can join. When you join, if your brothers settings allow it, you will then download the new files from him. The problem with this method is that the files remain lodged as cache files and are kinda tricky to to organize. I believe there is a utility that automates the process of organizing UT's cache files similar to the Santaduck Toolpack for UT2004.

The original UT was one of my favorite games, but my memory fails me at the moment as to exactly where I downloaded all the mods back when I played it in college. I'll try and look around and see if I can locate some more info (and so much for the "quick reply")

Diq

Diq
12-18-2004, 01:58 PM
http://osx.beyondunreal.com/files.html#prog
-Check out UTilities 2.6.1 for cache organization
-umod installed to install your own .umod files

http://www.planetunreal.com/ut/
-good link section for UT mac/pc

hope that helps,

Diq

rwm
12-18-2004, 02:24 PM
Thanks guys

I'll check those links out. I was reading that UT 2003 or 2004 was wanting a G4 933 - OUCH.

The idea with my brothers maps might work - we can LAN if that helps.

I think Damien is up to snuff on this - I'll see what his advice might be.

Randy

Diq
12-18-2004, 02:38 PM
While I know that UT2004 asks for a lot, I'm currently running it on a 12" powerbook with the 867 G4. Used to be painful until I upped my RAM with a 1 GIG chip. Currently runs at a tolerable framerate, and after awhile you'll compensate computer performance with skill (takes a long time though).

Guess all I'm trying to say is that you shouldn't give up on a game just because the box says you don't have the right stuff.

Diq

rwm
12-18-2004, 03:36 PM
Diq

after awhile you'll compensate computer performance with skill (takes a long time though).

:D I am in trouble. You have no idea how bad I am. Took me months to beat the bots on experienced in the demo with only 3 levels.

I still have fun.

eric
12-18-2004, 04:00 PM
You have no idea how bad I am. Took me months to beat the bots on experienced in the demo with only 3 levels. That's light-years ahead of me. Last I played I was getting creamed left and right by the bots. But my excuse still is I played that game only for a few weeks. ;)

M.Brane
12-18-2004, 10:28 PM
Took me months to beat the bots on experienced

You made it to experienced?
:kickass:

I haven't played in a while because I got tired of getting nowhere in the middle of "Skilled". That, and there's a bug in one of the DM maps that causes a bad hard freeze complete with disk corruption. :eek:

rwm
12-18-2004, 10:51 PM
M.Brane and eric

Yes, but if you look at the progression of steps they go

Novice - easy
Average - fun
Experienced - hard work
Skilled - only on a real good day and still get beat.
Adept - forget it
Masterful - not a chance
Inhuman - game it's already over
Godlike - where do I pray

This needs to be on a good day to play with them on experienced. Heck but I play using 2 fingers too. :p

My brother sets up his double-click mouse and scrool and really is :kickass:

Diq - It's funny I actually see no difference between my XLR8 G3/400 and my QS 733 on practice or LAN - ANY half decent player can beat me in a LAN with them on my G3/400 and me on the QS 733. Go figger.. :( I suck.

Randy

rwm
12-19-2004, 01:49 PM
Kaye an Diq

Those links look good errr well great. I'll be downloading while watching football. Thanks. :D

I'll let you know how things go.

Randy

rwm
12-19-2004, 04:31 PM
Most definatly some good links. I am not making much progress as I watch football and read my computer.

I never mentioned that I boot onto OS 9.2.2 to play Unreal - if this makes much difference.

I might price a OS X version but why - this one is fun and paid for. :D

Randy

Damien
12-19-2004, 07:07 PM
Planet Unreal is where I get my maps usually. I stopped getting them though.. my map folder is almost 1.5gigs!!

Look for a map called DogTown it is a very cool map. Just watch out for that subway train... it WILL run you over.

If you can LAN the two Macs you could duplicate the maps folder you want to run but be careful because some maps require other items that are in the system folder, textures folder, sounds folder etc.

Maps usually come with instructions on where to put what but some are in UMOD format and the UMOD installer should already be in your UT folder somewhere

I Did NOT like UT 2003 if I wanted to play Quake I would play the real Quake but I am REALLY liking 2004 it's very nice!