PDA

View Full Version : Cutting HD on a G4

mobuli
12-10-2004, 10:45 AM
Hello All,
Seeking advice on a cutting platform.

I am considering shooting my next project on HD. I am largely unaware of the needs for a NLE to cut HD.

I'd like to cut on what I currently have if at all possible. here's the specs, please tell me if this will suffice, and if not, what I might need to make my machine HD ready:
AGP G4, upgraded to 1Ghz
896 MB RAM
Bus Speed: 100mhz
ATTO Express PCI Ultra 3 card w/ 2 70gig Cheetah drives
Radeon Video card, VRAM 128MB
250GIG ATA

HD is obviously larger than DV NTSC, but does anyone have an average as to what the HD File size is per minute? Is it 500mb/min? 1 gig/min?

Do i need more processing horsepower, such as a dual Processor?

OR perhaps the Financial Gods will be on my side, and you guys will tell me this system is good to go!!

Either way, I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks!
Javier R.
mobuli_at_aol_dot_com

kaye
12-10-2004, 01:31 PM
Javier,

The HUGE Systems pdf manual http://www.hugesystems.com/Products/pdf/MediaVault-U320-R_Users_guide.pdf towards the end of the manual will give you both necessary data rates for various flavors of HD, keeping in mind that those rates must be achieved as the drive or RAID fills up too. Also has an Hours per Terabyte Table for various kinds of HD. That gets steep too. Also keep in mind that HD 720 10 bit is no longer the be all, end all. Even higher kinds of HD are appearing. This should get you started and perhaps others can chime in with questions and answers about your Mac configuration. k

biggles
12-10-2004, 01:39 PM
Javier,

forgive me, I edited your e-mail address. I'm not sure you really want to make it available to any ol' web creepy-crawly out looking for fodder. You can make it available in your public profile, or I'll change it back if you want.

As to your specific question, sorry, I'm not the guy with any answers when it comes to video, but doubtless someone around here can point you in the right direction. Off the top of my head I would say that a 1GHz machine may well struggle with what you propose. I don't know either if your application is optimized for a dual-processor. In any event, a whole lot more horsepower is available at the Store (http://www.macgurus.com/productpages/cpu_upgrades/Giga.php) as I'm sure you know, not to mention the RAM to bring you up to 2GB.

biggles.

mobuli
12-10-2004, 02:02 PM
Biggles, Thanks for the email issue, don't worry about changing it back. I didn't realize people we're crawling the boards to pinch emails, so thanks for looking out for me!

As for the HD cutting, I'd be using Final Cut Pro and After Effects for the most part. I guess this is the kind of issue i will have to hit the apple website for (darn it... let the search for the Ark begin).

Thanks again.

eric
12-10-2004, 02:40 PM
I guess this is the kind of issue i will have to hit the apple website forIf you go to the FCP forum, look for posts by: Jerry Hofmann, Tom Wolsky, fearless, and David Bogie Chq-1.

Those are just some people I know from that forum. They're all pros, and long time NLE -- from Avid, Premiere, FCP. Probably some good people there as well, but I frequent that forum very rarely these days. Just going by past experience and some emails with some email correspondence with some of them. You'll also find that group at Creative Cow (http://www.creativecow.net/) FCP forum and some other really good people.

Let us know what you find.