PDA

View Full Version : Garage Band on a Pismo?

AdaMac
12-03-2004, 12:00 PM
Am I dreaming? Is this just not possible? The apple web site indicates a G3 60MHz is required (G4 if you want software instruments). I have been considering the The XLR8 500 and 550 MAChSpeed G4 PISMO Upgrades from the gurus store. But since this is not 600Mhz will garage band work? I can run garageband on my B&W with a G4 600 upgrade zif, but would really like to be portable.

Any experience, rumours, thoughts on whether or not it is possible to get garage band to run on a pismo?

kaye
12-03-2004, 05:46 PM
I have no idea if you could get it to work reliably. Just something to consider, the various requirements for the iLife 4 applications went up from iLife 3. Just around the corner is I think iLife 5 which could put that version of GarageBand with more features out of reach.

In the meantime, I guess we wait for someone who has tried your situation. However you could contact:
Gary Dailey, President
5018 Bristol Ind. Way #202, Buford, GA 30518 USA
Phone: 404-625-7432
Fax: 678-547-3163
E-mail: gary@daystartechnology.com

Gary is a very knowledgeable and helpful person, the very best in my experience. He might be able to test GarageBand for you. Just let him know which version you would want to run. k

rwm
12-03-2004, 07:54 PM
I have a friend who's son is using iLife4 and Garageband on a PCI G4/400 Tower. I don't know how successful - slowly. He is also looking to get an iMic so he might not yet have pushed the limits of it. I warned him of the specs right here. http://www.apple.com/support/garageband/ It does not recommend a specific speed on a G4 - but it must to be up there too.

Kaye, Good point on the iLife5. Yes email Gary.

Randy

TZ
12-04-2004, 12:38 AM
Slow memory, slow disk drives, and slow bus. Minimum requirements are to get you to use it so you will upgrade to faster hardware. You can install OS X with 128MB, too! ;)

I think G4/1000 and 1.5GB RAM and upgrade hard drive a bit, for minimum. But that's just me maybe. I do know that is how the software-hardware-software cycles goes though. Installing iLife was okay until I just installed - didn't even use Garageband, but it made my 1.25SP with 15K boot drive MDD slower!

AdaMac
12-06-2004, 09:39 PM
Hmmm, I think this is gonna morph into a should I upgrade or buy used thread. I'll use the right forum for that one... :D