PDA

View Full Version : Compatibility Questions Seeking Answers

dreamer
11-06-2004, 03:40 PM
I have a couple upgraded Blue & White G3s'....one has a PowerLogix G3/800 and the other has G4/450. Both have Seagate Cheetahs SCSI Hard Drives and run OSX.2.8 very well.

I want to start dumping our home VHS movies into the computer and edit with i-movie and burn them on to DVDs for safe keeping.

Here are my questions:

1. Will the DVD Decoder card that came with the stock ATI Rage128 video card work for editing and burning DVDs?

2. I've been very happy with Plextor products in the past and want to know if there is any specific DVD-RW models to steer clear of or is there a recommendation someone would like to make that would be better suited for my upgraded Blue & Whites? What about products by LG?

3. I've done some research and am looking to purchase an analog to digital video converter made by DataVideo.....Model DAC-100. Does anyone have a comment on this product or a recommendation for another product that's priced in the same ball park?

4. Since I haven't used it yet and don't know....will Apple's i-move work for my needs? I do use ProTools and can do all necessary audio in that if necessary.

5. Which of my upgraded Macs, the G3/800 or G4/450 (100mhz bus) work best for this application.

I'm not looking to make purchases of the latest and greatest, next best thing. I just want to know that the items will work with one another.....I'd like to find a dual 1.25 G4 in the future and plan to make due with what I have.

As always.......Thanks! ;)

rwm
11-06-2004, 08:43 PM
5. Which of my upgraded Macs, the G3/800 or G4/450 (100mhz bus) work best for this application.
No idea on the first 4 and ... 5. Thats a tough call - a toss up is my guess. Could not find any decent info to compare. If it were a G4/500 thats how I would vote because of the apps your using the G4 will help them all. - Randy

rwm
11-06-2004, 09:44 PM
OK,
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/G3CARDS/G3_1.1GHz_vs_G4_1GHz_review/index2.html
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/G3CARDS/powerlogix_G3_800/index.html
Search for "PL G3/800" OR "PL G3/800 vs G4" thats how I got it from here... http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/search.html
Check them out. - Randy

despaxas
11-07-2004, 10:06 AM
1. The DVD decoder on the ATI card is only used for DVD playback.

2. Pioneer DVD-R burners are the standard for wide DVD player compatibility. They are usually $150 and I believe the 108 is the newest, but the 104, 105 and 106 (was there a 107?) can probably be found cheaper and are all very reliable. The 103 does not have buffer underrun prevention so overlook it.

3. I don't know anything about that A/D converter, but any firewire based DV converter that responds like a DV camera (and I think they all do, even my JVC deck identifies itself like a DV camera) will work with iMovie. Alternatively, if you don't already have a video camera, you could get one with "pass-through" which is a feature that lets the camera double as a DV converter. Good stuff.

4. iMovie's biggest flaw is that you can't trim edits (I haven't checked it out in a while, but I think that's still the case). When you start to capture video, until you hit stop, that will always be the lengh of the clip. I hope that made sense. In other words, if you were recording a VHS and there was a blank spot or a commercial or whatever you didn't want, you would have to capture the video in two chunks on either side of the blank spot to "edit" the blank spot out. If you are just archiving video though, it's no big deal.

5. Yeah, the slower G4 is definitely the way to go for video in X, IMO. Whether you compress the video to MPEG-2 for DVD using DVD Studio Pro, iDVD or Toast6, they will all benefit from the G4. There was (is?) an MPEG-2 compressor program called Bitvise that had a version optimised for a G3, but it takes a while to get the hang of how to use it.

kaye
11-07-2004, 01:27 PM
That iMovie flaw is no longer true. Both version 3 and 4, I capture an hour program from my VCR and either version I can edit out commercials or whatever else I don't want to my hearts content. Can even edit out on a frame to frame basis, meaning 1st frame of the commercial to its last frame. Works great. k

despaxas
11-08-2004, 08:01 AM
Cool, that always seemed like such a rip-off. Thanks, k.