PDA

View Full Version : Canon Optura 30 and OS X

newrintrah
10-30-2004, 07:32 PM
Wondering if folks can help me out. Up until now, I've always shunned video for still imagery, which I love. I have a website (scrapbook of our kid) for the family that's all over the country.

Tomorrow's Halloween, and with some urging from my wife, I went out and bought an Optura 30. I quickly scanned the Apple site and Consumer Reports. Apple seems to be really high on the Optura 300 (which I read as 30). From all reports I've read, I have been assured it is compatible with OS X.3.5.

I took some quick footage of our 10 mos. old eating dinner, and I wanted to transfer the footage from the tape to my hardrive, but I cannot seem to (1) find the FireWire port (which I think I have found only to realize that I am in need of a FireWire) and (2) the manual doesn't appear to be that helpful when it comes to Macs.

My question is twofold: Is there anyone out there who owns an Optura 30 and who could tell me that it works with Mac or do I need to go out and return the 30 and buy the more expensive 300?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. --Stas :confused:

kaye
10-31-2004, 05:13 AM
I looked up your Optura 30 on Canon's website and yes it is compatible with 10.3.5.

Just a couple of comments since I don't have such a camera but do have a Canon A40 that will also do stills in JPEG format as well as very short movies, 30 sec or a minute as I recall. Canon sez that your Optura for movies will import to iMovie 3 or later. I import the JPEG stills to iPhoto but they will import to iMovie as well. The movies I create, albeit limited, once imported on my hard drive, I can play in QuickTime Pro as well as save. Those of your spreadout family with a PC would then need to have plain QuickTime for the PC but I'm not familiar with what Windows operating systems it supports. But what I'm really getting at is that you should have iLife.

One last point, the FireWire 400 cable to go from the camera to computer, at the Optura end, it should be a 4-pin connector, and at the computer end a 6-pin connector. k

TZ
10-31-2004, 05:34 AM
and the mac you are using is....?

If you have a free PCI slot and running OS 9.2+ and have G3 (G4 upgrade preferable) or is this OldWorld/Beige Mac?

Did it come with 4-pin to 6-pin FW cable? Take a look at the FW cards and cables we carry...

newrintrah
10-31-2004, 07:16 AM
Thank you very much. After posting, I stayed up much of the night and calmed myself down. The camcorder did not come with a FW, which I need, and I will purchase from MacGurus.

I am using a 12' Al 1.33 GHz G4 with 768 MB RAM. She came with iLife, and I have iMovie and iPhoto, but I use iViewMedia Pro 2.5 for my website: http://www.lostbaklava.com/

and iView also imports video in order to catalogue.

As I said, I'm completely new to video, and I read through the iMovie manual last night. I can edit in that, if I am not mistaken, and does iMovie then save it as QuiickTime?

Thanks so much, and now off to the Halloween adventure.

With much appreciation,
Stas

kaye
10-31-2004, 07:54 AM
Not sure which version of iLife you have, v3 or v4. iMovie for v4 is changed from v3. Anyway, be sure that whichever version you have is updated to its latest update.

Yes you can save the iMovie edited project to QuickTime and there are several options for saving, window size, etc. I have not done that in awhile because now all of my iMovie work is for iDVD and burning a completed project.

Once you get the FW cable, plug in your camera, startup your Mac, launch iMovie and it will see the camera for importing into iMovie. I am not a big fan of FW's hotplug or unplug supposed feature. I prefer to plugin with the Mac shutdown and unplug with the Mac shutdown. Definitely do NOT unplug during data flow. My guess is that your Canon will use its batteries for the import and while powered on. Do not let it sleep nor let your Mac hard drive sleep during this operation. If you have an AC power supply for the camera, use it for this operation or else have your camera battery at full charge. I'm just being careful to complete the import. k

eric
10-31-2004, 07:59 AM
The camcorder did not come with a FW, which I need, and I will purchase from MacGurus. O.k. the camcorder didn't come with a FW cable, which I think is the norm. My Sony -- years old -- didn't come with one; luckily FCP1 came with one (as well it should given the cost :D).

Sounds like you have the current model 12" Al Powerbook. According to specifications (http://www.apple.com/powerbook/specs.html), the 12" model is FW400 only, no FW800.

So that means you'll need a 6-to-4 pin FW cable, just as kaye said.

iMovie can save as QT format. Seems a little buried though. Check/search the iMovie help. For v4, it's under 'Sharing your finished movie' -- first topic is saving your movie in QT.

newrintrah
10-31-2004, 08:14 AM
you all rock! thanks a lot.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN

deadpixelz
11-15-2004, 10:27 PM
Hi Newrintrah,
Hope all went well with your Halloween adventure! I use the Canon Optura 30 and iMovie 4 all the time now that I have a little one to video. Let me know if you have any other questions...
-dP