PDA

View Full Version : new XRAID

jacob
10-20-2004, 10:46 AM
I saw with excitement the news that there were new configurations of the XRAID.
Then, when I checked them out, I was disappointed. All they did was put in larger ATA drives. Nothing more.
I was half-expecting them to start using SATA drives, which, as far as I can determine have proven to be much more reliable.

The decision to build my own rackmount SATA enclosure with a PCI-X SATA card is a lot more certain-- versus the XRAID fibre-ATA setup.

The only good thing about the XRAID is the GUI monitoring of the RAID via xserve-- oh, and the visual thing. It will look prettier underneath my xserve.

Thoughts? Contradictions? Compliments?

TZ
10-20-2004, 12:54 PM
... better integration with Apple Xsan... ?

Once they move to SATA and when they do, maybe they are wise to hold off right now for SATA-II chips.

that's about the best light or spin I can put on it.

jacob
10-20-2004, 01:54 PM
so you know how that HUGE case looks like a g5?
someone should make a 3u rackmount enclosure that mimicks the xraid, throw it together as a SATA bundle with cables and a 5 channel pci-x card...

hey, macgurus should do that! :)

unclemac
10-20-2004, 10:02 PM
SATA is more reliable than PATA?

I was under the impression that as far as reliability goes, they are nearly identical. Probably varies more by drive model than by protocol....

Now speed, we all know SATA has at least the potential to start to really walk away from PATA. But on a RAID box like this I thought the contoller(s) were commonly the bottleneck, not the drives. If that is the case, then adding SATA does nothing but increase cost.

I hope this is one of those cases where Apple is right to shun some of the hype about the latest and greatest, and build the box that meets their performance spec (as dictated by customerbase/industry) as cost effectively as possible.

Need to benchmark our Xraid....

jacob
10-21-2004, 03:42 PM
so you know how that HUGE case looks like a g5?
someone should make a 3u rackmount enclosure that mimicks the xraid,

check this out:
http://www.wiebetech.com/products/rackfire.php