PDA

View Full Version : Serial ATA RAID 5

schalliol
09-22-2004, 09:11 AM
I see this new product is out with Mac OS X compatability. It seems like this could be an excellent card to use for max throughput. Does anyone have any thoughts?

http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA/rr1820a.htm

ricks
09-22-2004, 11:01 AM
We are working on getting our hands on them. Pretty good numbers so far from barefeats. Using APple software RAID were the best numbers. I haven't had a chance to test in RAID5, as soon as I get a card I will and post the results. Let's hope for HUGE numbers!!

Rick

schalliol
09-22-2004, 11:39 AM
Ricks,

Thanks for the reply (and it's good to be back on the gurus site) http://www.schalliol.com/personal/kickass.gif.

The RAID 0 numbers look pretty incredible from what I've seen, but for my purpose I want to create a server that can distribute data everywhere I need it, within the house and to the Internet to grab files. If I'm on gigabit ethernet, I want the sucker to scream and actually be able to use it like a hard drive. That machine will also be usable as a regular G4 too, so it's a dual purpose system. I don't want to lose my data though and hundreds of GB is getting hard to backup, that's why RAID 5 sounds pretty good.

unclemac
09-22-2004, 01:05 PM
Howdy,

I been looking at it for the same thing - file server. It is either this route, or an external RAID box, but this is the most cost effective, and I would expect performance of RAID adequate.

If it were booable, I would be knee deep in testing already... ;)

schalliol
09-22-2004, 01:09 PM
Yeah that makes sense. I was actually thinking earlier of something like a Fastora (http://www.fastora.com) NAS, but it's expensive, a PC, and lacks the capability to be used directly.

ricks
09-22-2004, 03:01 PM
Those Highpoint numbskulls kinda make it hard to carry that product. Highpoint is a Chinese company and when we asked to carry their product they told us to get it at their distributor, another Chinese company, zipzoomfly......... who will happily sell it to us at retail. Yeah, right. As if I am supposed to charge our customers more than they can already get it. So at this point, no tickee and no washee for us.

Rick

schalliol
09-22-2004, 03:05 PM
:mad:

That's no way to sell product!!

TZ
09-22-2004, 03:49 PM
I wasn't aware of the roots of Zipzoomfly. :(

TZ
09-23-2004, 04:26 AM
Someone posted that they are using 8-CH HighPoint RocketRAID in G5 on Apple G5 Discussions (http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?13@@.689b834b)

kaye
09-23-2004, 06:23 AM
That is some loaded G5 TZ. Marvelous work. k

boli
11-03-2004, 09:25 AM
Those Highpoint numbskulls kinda make it hard to carry that product. Highpoint is a Chinese company and when we asked to carry their product they told us to get it at their distributor, another Chinese company, zipzoomfly......... who will happily sell it to us at retail. Yeah, right. As if I am supposed to charge our customers more than they can already get it. So at this point, no tickee and no washee for us.

Rick

it looks like they (http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=132228) have increased the enduser price to $239. does that make it more attractive for you?
i'd be interested in your opinion or better yet test of this card... :D

cheers, oliver

ricks
11-03-2004, 06:26 PM
Well Oliver,

The problem isn't really zipzoomfly but Highpoint itself. In talking with their sales staff I made it quite clear that using a el-cheapo distribution and sales network like zipzoomfly is bad for business. They pull in all the sales and do none of the tech support. None at all. Getting help from large discount houses is like getting help in day to day problems from a politician, not in this lifetime.

Unless the manufacturer does something to control the pricing from the large discount outfits there is no way that smaller businesses based on service can afford to offer the products. The only reason, BTW, that zipzoom has the price up is the distribution channel dried up and there aren't any boards available. It will go back down with the next shipment from Taiwan of RAID cards.

At this time, the preeminent source for information on the RocketRAID is barefeats.com. Rob-Art is doing constant testing and reporting on user results. Unfortunately, we have ourselves in the deep end of the pool working on storage in several different directions, so it is likely to be a while before we can do any kind of thorough testing of that card ourselves.

Rick

Mac Japan
11-03-2004, 06:36 PM
Using Expresspro tools I just benchmarked my Yano Electric NAS raid5 server here.
Conneted and writing form 50 local machines (via gigabit ethernet).
This is what I got back:
Peak Read:63.43mb/s
Sustained Read:58.71mb/s
Peak Write:48.54 mb/s
Sustained write:45.33mb/s

this bench mark was done while all user machines active and writing.

boli
11-04-2004, 01:18 AM
Thank you Rick for the explanation! :)

i've been to barefeats.com and hdforindies.com and read what they wrote. even better, a friend of mine who is testing a rocketraid card offered to lend it to me for a couple days so i could do my own testing... :D

i have to get an additional harddrive though. i already have 2x Maxtor 6Y250M0 DiamondMax 9 models (came with the G5 last year).
the semi-current models are Maxtor 7Y250M0 MaxLine Plus II with similar specs (can still be bought), the new and about to become current models Maxtor 6B250S0 DiamondMax 10 (can already be bought).

having the exact same model for all disks would feel best, but it seems that's not possible. i'll probably have to go with the 7Y line... :-/

any thoughts on that? i could sell the old old 6y models and get the newest ones, maybe the additional cost/effort would make me sleep better... ;)

cheers, oliver