PDA

View Full Version : A few queries about iDVD 4

Lemur
09-14-2004, 09:11 AM
There are a few specific issues I've been having with iDVD 4 and I was wondering if anyone here might have some insight. I have imported a project from Final Cut Pro and when making my scene selection section I run into a few problems customizing. The chapter markers from FCP worked well and showed up as they should, however there are many of them so I need several screens to fit them all in. What I want to do is switch between the screens back and forth with the box transition. When I select and apply the transition it does what I want but only forward through the pages not backward. How do I apply the transition to happen when I click the back arrow? Also when I proceed to select a chapter to run, idvd then takes the liberty of applying the box transition to the beginning of each clip, the only thing is all these box transitions are now overkill and are making me dizzy so I want to just have no transition (or a different one) for the beginning of clips but still keep my box transition for the menu changes. Can I do this?

The other issue I am having is that I can't seem to control the duration of the music playing and the length of the scene selection movies independantly of each other. And the final issue is that my text in the scene selection area (which is on the smallest size setting) comes up shakey after the burn. It looks like a video still does when it needs to be deinterlaced.

Anyway while I hope someone here can be of some help I am expecting to be told that these problems are the limitation of using cheap software and to just go buy dvd studio pro and be done with it. :) Which I probably will do when I can get the cash anyway. Thanks in advance. You guys are awesome to read and respond to these. My favourite forum on the web hands down.

- Lemur

kaye
09-14-2004, 02:32 PM
Lemur,

I've been hoping that one or more of our member experts would check in. In my case, tho I have iDVD4 and know some about it, I have really not had a chance yet to create some movies in iMovie4/iDVD4. Still have about a dozen SVHS tapes to get into iMovie.

I hate sending you elsewhere and hope you will come back to check but this http://www.kentidwell.com/idvd4/ site has some excellent info that might address your questions. If it does not, I have another in mind. k

TZ
09-14-2004, 02:49 PM
I saw that there are two new books out. Both from the author of "Mac OS X: The Missing Manual" author David Pogue. One on iLife and the other is iMovie and iDVD. They should really offer an iLife package with one or both ;)
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/new.html

Lemur
09-17-2004, 06:57 AM
Thanks people,

Great website Kaye, helped with a few things. There does seem to be some limitations of the iDVD program. Thankfully there are some workarounds I can use that I figured out. I'm certainly going to buy dvd studio pro now. I had a closer look at it, and it just looks fantastic. Anyway thanks again,

- Lemur

kaye
09-17-2004, 08:15 AM
You bet Lemur. I was actually surprised what Apple added to iDVD4 since essentially they are competing with themselves between iDVD4 and DVD Studio Pro. But of course there is still much more to Studio Pro.

I don't know if they still do but Apple used to offer a freebie CD, or maybe it was a DVD, to ship with a QuickTime movie showing sample features of DVD Studio Pro. You might want to see if they still offer it. k