PDA

View Full Version : FCP to IDVD burning

Lemur
09-05-2004, 07:44 AM
I have just finished editing a project in Finalcut Pro 3 in OS9 and want to burn it to a dvd in idvd 4 in Panther. I'm new to that process and was wondering if anyone could provide me with some info on what the best way is to export the footage from FCP so it's ready to be used in idvd. Someone told me to get a program called "cleaner" to make the footage mpeg2. Is this necessary or can I do that from Finalcut or idvd? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

- Lemur

TZ
09-05-2004, 10:10 AM
I just looked up "cleaner' and the comments on Version Tracker were less than stellar.

Not my area, but I'd think FCP and/or iDVD would be robust enough to import and let you make any changes needed. Assuming you had the latest QT for OS 9 also.

despaxas
09-07-2004, 10:13 AM
When you are done with your project in FCP, export as a Final Cut Pro movie under the File menu. A window will appear with options such as Highest Quality, Audio + Video, etc. At the bottom deselect the "Make Movie Self Contained" option*. This will make a small file of your finished project that "points" to the original captured video to save drive space (and time). Then boot into Panther and drag the FCP file into an iDVD project menu and it will compress it to MPEG2 when it starts the burning process. It will take a few hours, but iDVD actually looks pretty good.

*also deselect "Re-compress All Frames" if it is selected.

Just my opinion, but Cleaner is twitchy and when it does work, it's very slow. It has a lot of options, though, so some people like it. The MPEG2 encoder with DVD Studio Pro 2 and higher is superb though. It's stable, fast, beautiful and can directly be used with any QT compatible app.

Lemur
09-07-2004, 07:59 PM
Thanks guys,

That was extremely helpful despaxas. Much easier then I thought. When I can afford it I will get DVD studio pro but until that time I'll have to make things work with iDVD which doesn't look that bad surprisingly enough. Trying to burn though I have run into further issues with iDVD. My video file is about 96 min long and it seems idvd won't let me burn a disc longer then 90 min. This makes no sense to me as there is plenty of space left for more video on the DVD itself and it can't be a limitation of the DVD medium. We have all seen 2hour + above DVD movies. So I guess this must just be an annoying thing with the iDVD program itself. If you know any workarounds/hacks so I can burn a file longer then 90min in iDVD please let me know. Thanks again,

- Lemur

kaye
09-07-2004, 10:34 PM
iDVD 4.x will now let you build up to 2 hour projects because it now uses the same encoding technology used in Compressor 1.2 and DVD Studio Pro 2.0.5...the same codec as Apple's professional video utility, 'Compressor'.

Commercial movies use dual layer (one layer on top of the other) to achieve longer movies. That requires a dual layer burner, just now coming to market in consumer level, dual layer DVD blanks to burn to, and an application that can work with dual layer burning. k

Lemur
09-12-2004, 06:36 AM
Thanks K,

I thought I had the latest iDVD but I was wrong. Worked fine now. Thanks for the info about duel layer disks etc. I didn't know that. I wonder if apple will include those type of burners in their new machines. Anyway appreciate the response.

- Lemur