PDA

View Full Version : dvd copy protection - making, not breaking !

paul.woolman
08-14-2004, 08:06 AM
is it possible to burn a dvd on my G5 which other people would be unable to copy ?

kaye
08-14-2004, 08:45 AM
Welcome Paul. I have no idea but what software are you using? iDVD or what? k

paul.woolman
08-15-2004, 05:52 AM
iDVD is my current software, fed from Final Cut Express 2.0.3

kaye
08-15-2004, 06:55 AM
I am way over my head on this subject and I only use iMovie and iDVD. Did a Google search and found nothing for the Mac. So I went here http://www.lafcpug.org/ and did not find any current info but was able to find this from 2001 days:

"...DVD Studio Pro is not a stripped-down DVD Authoring program - it offers the ability to make professional DVD projects, both DVD-5 and DVD-9, and includes such often-requested capabilities as Macrovision and CSS (Content Scramble System) asset encryption. Although you cannot use CSS encryption on discs you wish to burn on the Superdrive (the General Authoring media will not accept the CSS encryption data), you can turn on the Macrovision protection (if you have been authorized by Macrovision to do so - it requires a no-fee license to be filled out and executed by you and them). This provides a level of Analog Protection to your encoded masters, making it harder for VHS or other clones to be made from your DVDs."

Looking further I was not able to find that later SuperDrives can now do CSS. So I am guessing that Final Cut Express and iDVD as well as DVD Studio Pro will not help. But you might try a forum post at lafcpug. Check back with us and maybe someone here will have an answer. If you find out, let us know. Hope something here helps. k

despaxas
08-16-2004, 06:05 PM
Every DVD can be copied, no matter what kind of copy protection is used. Most use an analog copy protection in the video called Macrovision, which is bypassed just by the act of copying the disc instead of recording the video. CSS encryption was cracked by a 16 year old kid, and can be decryped with programs on OS9 an X. DVD-9 dual layer DVDs can have the video compressed so that they fit on standard DVD-5, while maintaining menu and navigation functions. I don't want to promote any of these actions, but it has long been possible to copy DVDs.