PDA

View Full Version : UPS for US?

ricks
07-26-2004, 02:02 PM
Thought I would ask those of you who have studied UPS's and see what your thoughts are vis a vis protection for our office. I have switched Laur to a G4 PowerBook, so she is pretty much on a built in UPS. I now have a G5 and a Quicksilver to similarly protect. Any other computers will just have to survive with a basic high quality surge protector.

Any thoughts as to capacity, brand and advice on setting up a functional system?

We do not have frequent enough electrical storms here for that to be an issue. Phased in rolling blackouts this summer may be an issue though. Power outages are always an issue to a computer. The G4 and G5 are close enough to each other to connect their surge protector power cords to a single UPS, any advantage to a large single over a pair of smaller ones?

Thanks,

Rick

TZ
07-26-2004, 02:36 PM
APC recommends very strongly against using a surge protector off a UPS. Their FAQ/KB is easy to use, too. They don't distribute power to each device as needed.

The RS1500 has 6 battery backup outlets and two that are surge only.

I assume you read my UPS thread. Can't say enough about the value of RS1500VS which is what you need for G5. Some/most found the 1000VA wasn't enough for G5 2.0DP such as yours. A powerbook has battery, but not all the rest of it. RS series also puts necessary clamp on your ethernet as well as phone line.

The RS/XS 1500 offers ability to add 24v battery pack for 1 hr add'l power (more if you aren't using 850 watt max power).

I paid $179 XS1500 which lacks ethernet from Amazon. RS1500 is more like $239. I've run CRT, LCD, MDD, 25" TV, lamp, router/modem and some disk drives off that even though power outages.

I also picked up Belkin 500 for $70 for add'l support forl B&W, CRT and that does have ethernet and their software is nicer than APCs, but I don't think they are made as well.

Tripp Lite is another possibility, but I settled on the APC RS/XS. And that is after years of APC and different units, and six months "research" and reading before this one.

ricks
07-26-2004, 03:43 PM
That makes sense. Especially the surge protector down from the UPC. Leave stuff like telephones and adding machines, speaker power, stuff like that on the surge and off the UPC. Direct connect to the UPC the essential components and let the UPC do its thing.

Other than the flat panel, why would a PowerBook need any kind of UPC? Doesn't the battery/charger system perform exactly the same? I must be missing something there.

From what you just said it would appear that each critical mission tower needs its own UPC. Is that because it gets cost prohibitive or functionally prohibitive to have multiple workstations and servers on one?

Thanks for your time. Interesting subject.

Rick

TZ
07-27-2004, 06:09 AM
A UPS also conditions a line, and does a good/better job at clamping and near zero response time. I have some older small UPS for TV and other stuff (no flashing timer if power goes out for 5 seconds).

The APC RS has phone, coax ground, ethernet. And yes, while the RS1500 could handle three smaller computers, when you add in G5, well, I wish APC PowerChute Personal Edition would show load and other statistics. But it is better to have extra.

The XS1500 or even XS1000 are much less expensive. Where it gets bad is with SmartUPS 1500VA.

You can have multiple workstations on one RS1500. You can't 'daisy chain' UPS units though. The RS/XS battery pack ($129) for longer runtime.

I do run hard drives and peripherals off a surge protector ($50 unit) connected to UPS in part because they aren't right next to where the UPS is and I don't even have more than two or three peripherals powered at any one given time.

I had a phone take a hit and die. Answering machines have to be reset the time etc when they lose power, so even there, might not hurt, depending on what you have and what you buy. But 8-outlets for a UPS is very handy. And when I look at what $200 bought 7 years ago, 225 watts I think?

Boots
07-27-2004, 06:56 AM
I've got the RS1500 and its saved my bacon a boatload of times since first putting it on line.
I used to think a common surge was all I needed, but when I think of all the times this rig has saved me from having to do basic maintenance after an unplanned forced shutdown from power outages.....well, the time savings really adds up. I'm not afraid to leave the rigs running during thunderstorms now.
Originally I got the 500 but that was way underpowered for the G5, so I use that for L's eMac and fw backup drive.
The 1500 handles the twin-drive dual G5, the 4-drive Burly, and two fw drives easily, never a hiccup, and instantaneous switchover to battery on an outage. Absolutely suberb and never a problem with the Powerchute software.

ricks
07-27-2004, 10:36 AM
Much to think about. Thanks for the inputs. I will do some shopping around and see what I can find. I'll bet Staples or Frys probably has best price, but you never know till you go searching..

Thanks for the info gents.

Rick

TZ
07-27-2004, 11:50 AM
If you don't need the full feature of RS1500, you can get XS1500 for $179.
Amazon XS1500 (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000A3SGH/qid=1090953618/sr=1-8/ref=sr_1_8/002-9946582-6486411?v=glance&s=electronics)

There is an XS1000 for $149 but 1/3 less power. Might make sense if you had equipment that wasn't close to one of the others.

Otherwise, RS1500 $239 (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000936B6/qid=1090954013/sr=1-11/ref=sr_1_11/002-9946582-6486411?v=glance&s=electronics) is the best I saw. But the $60 more than XS1500 would a) pay for shipping, b) maybe not be needed? c) half the price of adding a 2nd battery (only available for XS/RS).

Also, Amazon has a $50 off on $250. Check MacIntouch for link. If you do get an Amazon link from MacGurus.com, well, I have been known to buy a bit from them. ;)

I couldn't find anyone below Amazon, but then, I thought it took too long to look, and Amazon is either "hit or miss" sometimes (how to narrow down a search when there are 999 items and you can't skip/jump to another page?).

ricks
08-12-2004, 05:37 PM
We received our UPS today. I spent a long two days studying how UPS's work, studied what was available from the different manufacturers. Feature sets, and how many minutes of power supplied. We came up with APC's 750XL Smart-UPS (http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm). With the G5 and its peripherals hooked up the UPC will give 220 minutes of power. Adding in the PowerBook will cut that down to 150 minutes. Best of all though, the 750XL supports generator input, and we have generator.

Thanks so much for the advice. I spent a bunch of time with this and you guys kick started the whole thing, thank you.

Rick

http://homepage.mac.com/rstephens/.Pictures/APCfront.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/rstephens/.Pictures/APCrear.jpg