PDA

View Full Version : Computer into VHS

frannbug
07-16-2004, 06:59 AM
I'm using a G4 AGP Mac, running the latest version of Jaguar.
I have a number of presentations which run on RealOne Player (slideshows with speech audio). I need to get these onto standard VHS cassettes. What is the easiest/cheapest way of achieving this? I also have a 7600 (which has AV outlets but is running 9.1), a 5400 with TV and a PC (not mine, my husband's!) - if any of these would make the crossover easier/possible - but I'd rather do it on my G4 as I can then keep the files in the OS X format.
Any ideas, please?

despaxas
07-21-2004, 08:23 AM
There are usually a few ways to do this, but since it's with Real Player you really don't since it doesn't play nice with other programs. You can't export the file into a more usable format to play it out to VHS either (from what I've seen; I don't really use Real Player). The only way I know in this case is to find a video card (such as an AGP ATI Radeon xxxx) with a tv video out that will mirror what is displayed on your monitor. Set your monitor resolution to 640x480 60Hz. Hopefully Real Player has a presentation or full screen mode that will fill the screen. 8500/8600 could do this built-in, but the 7500/7600 only had video inputs.

frannbug
07-22-2004, 04:11 PM
Hm, that's a shame, but thanks for the reply. I was hoping there might be something within Jaguar that might convert the file into streaming video if I could get them linked up. The way I see it, I have a few choices. I could find the power supply that came with my Apple Presentation System (gone missing!) which interrupts the lead from the computer to the monitor (not producing brilliant quality but passable since apart from a few maps and photos the files contain mostly cards containing large text); or I could get the video out card that goes with the 5400, first finding an old version of Real Player that works with system 7.6; or I could do as you suggest and get a video card for my G4. I have to say I'm tempted to set up my old VHS camcorder in front of the screen and let it just catch what comes out! But I'm sure I'd be caught out with line frequency incompatibilities if I did that. You wouldn't think something so simple could be so difficult, would you?
Thanks anyway.

bif
07-23-2004, 03:21 AM
Have you thought about Snapz from ambrosia software? I know it will capture anything on screen but not sure if there is an export capability. I believe the capture is in quicktime format, so you could use quicktimes export? Might be worth a look.

rwm
07-23-2004, 07:13 PM
I thought the 7500/7600 supported sound. Read this (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=112322) on a 7500/100
Port Notes: Includes S-video and RCA ports for video in. Includes RCA ports for sound in and out. The 8600/250 reads like this. (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=112421)

I have a 7500 but cant get to it right now. And was planning to import Audio from LP's and cassettes to it using the RCA jacks. I hope. :D

Randy

rwm
07-23-2004, 07:23 PM
Look here (http://216.239.57.104/search?q=cache:3hIvCI37pY4J:www.abc.it/Apple/Product_Info/%2520Performa/MacPerforma7600Series.pdf+7600+mac+audio&hl=en) and in this Google search (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&safe=off&q=7600+mac+audio&btnG=Search) Might find something more.

Randy

despaxas
07-24-2004, 07:16 AM
Yes, the 75/7600 has miniplug and RCA audio inputs and outputs. My point was just that the 75/7600 that was available did not have video out. Sorry, that was a little vague.

rwm
07-24-2004, 09:38 AM
No problem despaxas just making sure I was not going crazy. :p At times I feel I'm getting close. :D

Thanks
Randy

frannbug
07-29-2004, 07:07 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. Following some of the ideas and links you've all given me, I discovered a box by Avermedia that looks like being the answer to my problem. I've found one on eBay - if I can win I'll just need to put it together and press play!
I did have something like this before (the Apple Presentation Kit), but I can't find all the bits. And the quality was very poor. This works at a higher resolution.
So thanks, guys - I'd never have found it without your suggestions! Just got to win the auction now.

rwm
07-29-2004, 08:34 PM
Great - glad we could help. Let us know how things work out. Good luck with the auction.

Randy