PDA

View Full Version : DVD Authoring for PAL format

marge
07-07-2004, 03:03 PM
Any tips on creating DVD's in PAL format? I have all my original files in NTSC format in Final Cut Pro. There are so many points in the process at which I could choose PAL- capturing footage from my mini DV tape, exporting my MPEG-2 files from Final Cut, and when creating the DVD in DVD Studio Pro. Does anyone know at what point I need to choose PAL? I'm hoping I don't have to re-capture and re-edit all my material...

Also I heard rumors from a duplication shop that Mac DVD burners could get stuck in PAL format if you switch back and forth frequently- is that true??

Thanks.

despaxas
07-07-2004, 08:51 PM
I have a dub house that uses Pioneer 103/104/106/108 (seven total- 3 OEM, 4 retail) and haven't noticed any problems burning PAL and NTSC DVDs. I have never burned more than 20 consecutive PAL DVDs though, but I wouldn't think there would be a problem. It's all still UDF (format).

When I make PAL DVDs, I convert the NTSC video or whatever to PAL externally and capture as PAL video, so I've never converted an NTSC file to a PAL file. I have had to convert a PAL file to an NTSC file, and I did it by taking the PAL file and inserting it into an NTSC timeline in Final Cut Pro. It had to render the aspect ratio and frame rate change, but it worked ok. Maybe it will look better when you try it in reverse.

marge
07-14-2004, 02:38 PM
Thanks despaxas. Could you please clarify how you "converted NTSC video to PAL externally"?

I gave my PAL DVD a try by exporting from Final Cut as MPEG-2 PAL and also specifying PAL when making my DVD in DVD Studio Pro. I burned the DVD without a problem, mailed it to Italy, and am waiting to find out if their DVD player can read it. Fingers crossed...

despaxas
07-15-2004, 03:04 PM
I meant that the video was converted outside of the computer using a world tv standards converter. For me it's a must because not only can you see what the converted video looks like (and color correct it) while capturing, but it's converted in real time so there's no time-consuming rendering involved. Which leads me to a question. When you exported the NTSC timeline in FCP using PAL MPEG-2, did it take much longer than you anticipated to export? If it did, then it may have converted it at the same time. A way to find out what your DVD looks like is to open your DVD Studio Pro project and select Preview (DSP 1) or Simulator (DSP 2), and if the video looks smooth during motion, then your golden.