PDA

View Full Version : .why is the footage so dark.

ho7pes6fall1
06-27-2004, 02:35 PM
.after importing i would watch it and it was so dark on my 22 apple LCD i could barely see it.the shots are night with little light but when i watched ont he camera lcd itself it was alot brither HELP

kaye
06-28-2004, 06:07 PM
Well I'm no expert on this forum but will try to get this started.

Are you importing directly from the camera? Via FireWire to the Mac or how? What Mac and what application are you importing into? What version of MacOS and what version of the application are you importing into? Have you ColorSync Profiled the monitor? k

ho7pes6fall1
06-30-2004, 12:41 PM
Well I'm no expert on this forum but will try to get this started.

Are you importing directly from the camera? Via FireWire to the Mac or how? What Mac and what application are you importing into? What version of MacOS and what version of the application are you importing into? Have you ColorSync Profiled the monitor? k

.canon gl1-pcmcia firewire card.imovie(cause FCE has numerous probs with it)10.3.4.....4.1 i think it is most recent update....color sync to you meen have i calibrated it in the monitor settings.i leave it on apples ones for there lcds.

kaye
07-04-2004, 06:49 AM
I don't have an LCD camera nor an LCD monitor. I keep my CRT monitor pretty bright, mainly because I don't see too well without glasses and I hate to wear glasses when computing.

One of the first things I discovered when I started with iMovie is that the movies were coming out kind of dark, not real dark like you describe, just darker than I liked. The iMovie controls for lightening the image appeared pretty daunting at that point in time of my iMovie knowledge and since my ultimate goal was to burn a DVD with iDVD, I just went ahead and burned a DVD without changing the image brightness or contrast. The DVD turned out just fine, in fact exactly what I would have wanted on both of my G4s, watching the DVD in DVD Player or watching on my home theater DVD player and TV. So I never have needed to make any adjustments.

Now I have a profile for my monitor in both Monitors and ColorSync but I still did a custom ColorSync profile mainly for the Gamma correction but also for matching my printer to my monitor. This was a long time ago and I have never touched either the monitor controls nor my ColorSync adjustments since then, so my memory is somewhat clouded.

Nothing about these settings is perfect. While it works just fine for me in burning with iDVD, Photoshop gifs for the web come out fine for me but too dark for most others who don't keep their monitors so bright. Since I don't want to change the settings, I just live with lightening the images in PShop. I know I can make adjustments in PShop, just have not gotten around to it.

I have no idea why but even with trying three different AGP video cards in my MDD, GF3 and GF4ti and ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Mac Edition, they all give me the same results on my single CRT and single printer. No further adjustments needed. k

despaxas
07-07-2004, 08:18 PM
Footage in low light looks usable when viewed on the camera's LCD, but it's not accurate. Play it out from the camera directly to your tv (or capture over firewire) and the low light footage will look darker. It's correct though. I don't know why the LCD in the camera does it, but it's a common complaint. Many people ask me to lighten up DV camera footage that they thought looked bright enough when they took it.