View Full Version : Help-cant open FCP project file

05-10-2004, 08:45 PM
One of my project files won't open up and does'nt show once after FCP launches. I rencently downloaded and installed DVD backup 1.3, and saved a movie to my startup drive and was left with 256MB available from 78GB. I deleted the movie files and now have about 7.6 GB left.
Im running FCP 3 with OSX 10.2, please help me.

05-11-2004, 06:29 AM
Hi BC,

Are you saying that the project file that won't open is on the same startup drive as the movie you saved and then deleted?

One thing I immediately noticed is that with only 256MB available after saving that movie, you may have somehow overwritten something in the project. Even after deleting the movie your 78GB drive with 7.6GB left is in need of help. By this I mean that normally folks around here never allow a drive to go beyond 65-75% full for any length of time. You are at about 90% full. Drive gets seriously overworked trying to allocate the fragmented space with a large project that takes you beyond that % range. I would either move files to another drive or get a much larger drive for projects.

Now to your question. I would run Disk Warrior 3.x to repair the directory if the data is not lost forever. There are other utilities that may recover the data such as Data Rescue X. Questions? k

05-25-2004, 05:59 PM
So you had 78GB free, then after saving a movie with DVD Backup (typically 7.5GB assuming a dual-layer DVD movie), you then only had 256MB remaining? Regardless, you should run a drive utility to make sure 256MB is indeed how much space is free and not just some drive error. But I've used DVD Backup 1.3 with OS 10.2.6 for a while with no problems, so here are some Final Cut Pro things that may help. If you're capturing footage and run out of drive space, FCP can crash and then after restarting it will relaunch but not open any projects, and reinstalling is the fix. Also Final Cut Pro 3.0 has a couple strange bugs like a project can get corrupted and if you open it, FCP unexpectedly quits each time, but other projects could still work. I ran into that, and there was no fix. I think I remember seeing it was addresed in one of the updates, either 3.0.2 or 3.0.4, and after the update it hasn't happened since. Hope it helps.