PDA

View Full Version : What is an m4a audio file format?

rwm
04-24-2004, 11:10 AM
A friend gave me some "nature sounds" and wanted them uploaded to a web site. I put the music on my puter but some of the files are in an .m4a file extension They were imported using iTunes. - some were mp3 a few m4a. iTunes playes either. I csan't get the m4a's to play with anything. Can they be converted easily?

I can use 10.3.3 or 10.2.8 or 9.2.2 on my QS and if needed 9.1 on my 7500 G3/400. And this started to be "simple text and background" ONLY. :mad: A pain in the a$$ - no cuz I ain't getting any $$'s for this. lol on me.

biggles
04-24-2004, 04:19 PM
Use iTunes 4 in 10.3.3

First,make sure the m4a's are in your iTunes library, use "Add to Library"
under the File menu if they're not already there.

Open iTunes Preferences, select "Importing", select "Import Using: MP3 Encoder" (from the pull-down menu).

Select the target track in the iTunes window.

Select "Convert Selection to MP3" from the Advanced menu.

That should do it.

Whatever you select from the "Import Using xxx Encoder" menu is what the "Convert Selection to xxx" will be.

Hope this helps.

rwm
04-24-2004, 05:10 PM
I put the music on my puter but some of the files are in mp3 format and others have a .m4a file extension on them. They were imported using iTunes. - some imported as mp3's and a few m4a. iTunes will play either. I can't get anything to play the m4a's - other than iTunes, no QT, Real Player, not on web. Can they be converted easily to an mp3, midi?

M.Brane
04-24-2004, 07:12 PM
I believe biggles' suggestion is to use iTunes to convert the m4as to mp3. ;)