PDA

View Full Version : PowerCenter Pro Memory - 1 DIMM at a time

booga
02-27-2001, 07:26 PM
I've a notoriously unreliable PowerCenter Pro 240 that may have gotten that way when a 64 meg DIMM was added some time ago. After years of fiddling with it, I seem to have come upon a cause.

I started getting alternating errors (system conflict with Quicktime) and type 10/ bus errors. These occur intermittently but often.

Removing one or the other of the DIMMS (original PowerComputing 64 meg dimm or 3rd party 64 meg FPM dimm) seems to cure the problem.

I've tried mixing the DIMMs up, moving from slot to slot, and the only thing that works is one at a time.

The fact that each one works separately led me to believe that I might have a mix of FPM and EDO. From what I can gather, that isn't the case. The 3rd party drams aren't coded exactly like the current models, but close enough that its a good bet that they are FPM and not EDO.

Considering using a single 128mb DIMM, but how I would love to really SOLVE the mystery that made the machine an orphan in the first place. Its an ugly duckling that I just can't let go of.

Dogstarman
02-27-2001, 07:29 PM
Has that sweet little machine been stable enough to throw some hard RAM tests at it? Tried the RAM in another machine?

Louie
02-27-2001, 08:02 PM
Be sure the slots are clean and clean the pins on the RAM module with an eraser.
Go to our FTP site under XLR8_stuff, find PowerPack 1.0 and download it. Install PowerControl and PowerFrax

Run the RAM test from PowerControl. Start with only one module installed to see if you can identify the bad one.

Are both modules recognized by "About This Computer" and the Apple System Profiler?